1 2 3
Storz
Storz HalfDork
7/11/12 6:12 a.m.

Been off the forums for quite a while, but hoping to get back into RallyX this fall and next spring! I had an 05 Impreza 2.5RS, but have long since sold it. Currently driving an 05 CTS, but am planning on moving to an SUV or 4 door compact pickup, which I intend to use for RallyX. I am open to either rwd or awd and have a few vehicles in mind.

Anyone run, or run with someone who uses an SUV or compact pickup for RallyX? With a growing family (first kid on the way in 4 weeks) I need a bigger vehicle, but still want to have some fun

Aside from RallyX the vehicle will be a daily driver, and must be good on forest/dirt roads, we take a lot of trips to the NC mountains and all the fun places are dirt roads only

Saab 9-7x - awd, can be had with 290-300-400hp

Blazer Xtreme - 2wd, cheap, reliable, tons of parts, stiffer/lower suspension from the factory

Colorado/Canyon - quadcab, pickup utility, decent aftermarket, real truck frame

Jeep XJ - cheap! huge aftermarket, 2wd or 4wd, did I mention cheap

Thoughts, suggestions?

Pics of the ol Impreza from my glory days lol

bluej
bluej Dork
7/11/12 6:28 a.m.

I'm in for thoughts on the XJ for rallyX as well. I know it's been done, I've seen the youtube videos.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
7/11/12 6:48 a.m.

The first, second, and third vehicles to pop into my mind is the XJ.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/11/12 8:36 a.m.

When I did my first rallycross a couple of weeks ago, there was a regular there who runs a Raptor.

I was surprised.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/11/12 8:38 a.m.

I know of a family that rallys a Nissan Frontier pretty successfully.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/11/12 9:29 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: I know of a family that rallys a Nissan Frontier pretty successfully.

Well, their dad rallyx's a toyota tocoma.

An Suv is fine, but keep in mind it may limit you to rallyx, as many pavement disciplines will not allow a vehicle with a high center of gravity to enter.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
7/11/12 9:37 a.m.

Scott Beliveau, the NEdiv SCCA RallyX steward, competed in a full sized Tacoma for a long time. I haven't lived there in ~10 years so I don't know if he still does or not. A guy down here in the Mid Atlantic region, Mike Hall, does both RallyX and stage rally with an old Mitsubishi Mighty Max. A 4g63t swap in one of those would be a lot of fun in the dirt for cheap.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/11/12 9:42 a.m.

What about taking a Ranger, add pre-runner fenders, lower it till you tuck the wheels (3"?), and the fenders will allow suspension movement while avoiding rub.

It'd also allow a decent amount of tire.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/11/12 9:53 a.m.

I saw this thread, and the first thing that popped into my mind was a Subaru Baja. You've run scoobies before, this one is just a Legacy with a small truck bed. Ugly, cheap-ish, and like all subarus- swaps parts with anyone in its family.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/11/12 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Armitage: That is who Dave and I are referring to. Scott's two boys are running the above nissan at NEFR this weekend. Scott still runs his Tacoma when practical.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/11/12 10:03 a.m.

I used to own a V8 early 90's Grand Cherokee. AWD, lots of torque, only available from the factory with an auto, but CHEAP right now. Also surprisingly useful as a DD/crappy weather car. I was always astounded at how hard it would launch from a dead stop.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
7/11/12 10:13 a.m.
PHeller wrote: What about taking a Ranger, add pre-runner fenders, lower it till you tuck the wheels (3"?), and the fenders will allow suspension movement while avoiding rub. It'd also allow a decent amount of tire.

Exactly my idea if I go with a pickup. Build it with a low COG, but still allowing good travel and tire size. Much like (but obviously less cool) the old stadium trucks from the 80s, or some of the Pikes Peak trucks

I think this truck is really cool, and am wondering if it would be allowed. AWD 6.0 liter Sierra, stock front end, lowered 2" in the rear. big glass, big tires

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
7/11/12 10:23 a.m.

I'd vote for the XJ too, because they are so cheap and plentiful that they could be considered disposable.

I don't think that I would would want to go RallyXing my families DD though. Stuff happens you know.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
7/11/12 10:27 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I'd vote for the XJ too, because they are so cheap and plentiful that they could be considered disposable. I don't think that I would would want to go RallyXing my families DD though. Stuff happens you know.

Yeah thats what I've added the supremely cheap vehicles such as the S10/Blazer/XJ to the list.

Anything available for the XJ to make it handle? I know there is a lot out there to lift it for rock crawling, but how about handling?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/11/12 10:30 a.m.

Just get one and beat it. They are fun. I do think you have to be careful with tire choice. I think the scca rules specify max gap between treads.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic New Reader
7/11/12 10:55 a.m.

XJ for too many reasons to list.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
7/11/12 11:02 a.m.
sachilles wrote: In reply to Armitage: That is who Dave and I are referring to. Scott's two boys are running the above nissan at NEFR this weekend. Scott still runs his Tacoma when practical.

Heh wow I've never seen their Nissan before (didn't even notice the names on it till you mentioned it)! Looks a lot more tricked out than the old truck was back in the day.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/11/12 11:07 a.m.

For rallycross, I wouldn't touch an XJ with a 10' pole, at least not a 4x4. I'd have that thing on it's roof coming out of the 2nd corner.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/11/12 11:09 a.m.

I believe the truck is on loan from a friend for this event, perhaps they bought it. Unsure of the specifics other than they are driving it at NEFR.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/11/12 11:11 a.m.

In reply to sachilles:

What he said.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
7/11/12 11:40 a.m.

My dad has a 97X...drives nothing like a trailblazer. quick steering, better spring rates, bigger bars, front brakes... He has the 5.3 with a programmer and intake - it hauls.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/12 12:04 p.m.

Trucks are freakin' scary.

Figure that this is something that makes Neons and Golfs and Civics flip over.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/11/12 12:30 p.m.
Armitage wrote: A guy down here in the Mid Atlantic region, Mike Hall, does both RallyX and stage rally with an old Mitsubishi Mighty Max. A 4g63t swap in one of those would be a lot of fun in the dirt for cheap.

I used to drive an '88 2WD Mighty Max as a auto parts-runner. Those were really fun little trucks to drive... I'd never considered building one in "pre-runner" spec for rally-x. Or using a pre-runner type truck at all.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
7/11/12 1:57 p.m.

Exactly what I was thinking! I used to see a guy with an early Tacoma with pre- runner fenders 31" tires but what looked to be stock height suspension. I like to do the same thing with an S10 Blazer.

Storz wrote:
PHeller wrote: What about taking a Ranger, add pre-runner fenders, lower it till you tuck the wheels (3"?), and the fenders will allow suspension movement while avoiding rub. It'd also allow a decent amount of tire.
Exactly my idea if I go with a pickup. Build it with a low COG, but still allowing good travel and tire size. Much like (but obviously less cool) the old stadium trucks from the 80s, or some of the Pikes Peak trucks I think this truck is really cool, and am wondering if it would be allowed. AWD 6.0 liter Sierra, stock front end, lowered 2" in the rear. big glass, big tires
NGTD
NGTD Dork
7/11/12 3:31 p.m.

Many organizing bodies will not let trucks or SUV's run rally-X, due to high CG's. Check before you buy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
de2xJjA1w2jG7Xv2uXiTtBPzDXpuIEu974ZBarykJAv3af45SajA6i8ZWK9C6Wwc