Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/4/09 8:35 a.m.
feature_image

When we decided it was time for another Subaru project, we considered a few options. A Forester XT, a 2004 STi and earlier Imprezas were considered, but in the end we decided to use an early WRX. This is the car that really brought Subaru to the fore as a performance-oriented manufacturer in the North American market. Plus, it enjoys …

Read the rest of the story

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/09 6:06 p.m.

OMG!!! You got a WRC Blue 03 Bugeye!! This is the car that got me to stray from a domestic-only life. I still lust for one. Please, please, please put the Gold wheels back on it. I'd love to see how to turn this into an autocross/track day/tarmac rally terror.

ccarey3
ccarey3 None
12/5/09 2:02 a.m.

Looks great, I'm thinking this may be my next vehicle as well. Might I suggest starting off with some rallycross/autocross then progressively turning it into a Rally America SP class car all the while maintaining street drivability?

socalwrench
socalwrench New Reader
12/5/09 11:17 a.m.

I am also hunting for a nice, used WRX. I would vote for a mild, street friendly rally car. I would also like to recommend a budget suspension article, since many can't afford DSM coilovers.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/6/09 10:09 a.m.

The gold Subaru wheels we have for the car have a set of corded R-compounds at the moment. You'll be seeing more of them in the future, though.

Thanks for the feedback! We're looking around and listening to readers before deciding what to do with this car. Stage rally is unlikely, mostly because the roll cage would ruin it as a street car.

beaterworld
beaterworld
12/7/09 9:00 a.m.

Listen to this: discreet speed. Stock rims with r-compounds, budget fully-adjustable suspension, small rear spoiler just to give enough downforce, black-tipped performance muffler, and tranny rip-shifter.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
12/7/09 3:50 p.m.

Listen to this: Full on STI swap. Then give me the engine and tranny to throw in Moniques GC8 Wagon.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
12/7/09 8:41 p.m.

Seems like a good car to use to test which is faster: more power or more handling? With most (2wd) cars adding more power is lost as you don't have enough traction to handle it without more tire/suspension. Obviously the WRX has traction to spare, and the turbo powerplant is ready and willing to take easy upgrades. It would be fun to see tests of 1) totally stock + super sticky tires 2) totally stock + power 3) totally stock + suspension 4) All in. We all know that the best performer is handling, tires, and power...but if you can pick only one (power, suspension, super tires), which one is fastest in autocross?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/09 7:58 a.m.

I like Nashco's idea of testing each element on it's own.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/9/09 10:26 a.m.

I'm liking Nashco's ideas too. That sounds like a fun batch of testing!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/9/09 1:39 p.m.

Looks like you guys picked a nice example of a early "bugeye" WRX. I used to have one (mine was a wagon), and I had a lot of fun modding it. I kept mine on a budget and had a very good all around performing "stage 2" car for not a lot of cash. Keep things cheap, there are a ton of places to cut corners as far as price goes. I am sick of seeing buildups on these over the years where they spend ludicrous amounts of money on things that can be either made DIY-style of bought cheap. Don't be afraid of used parts, either!

One very important word of advice: DO NOT run Mobil 1 anything on these cars! They like to spin rod bearings with this oil in the crankcase, and the transmissions and differentials will wear quicker and not perform as well. Their products are fine in other cars, but the WRX's just don't like it.

Good luck with the car!

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/9/09 10:33 p.m.

Another test I'd really like to do- 150 dollar ebay turbo-back exhaust versus a name brand. Quality, noise level and weight would have to be measured along with performance gains.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/15/09 2:54 p.m.

Sweet "round eye" WRX Tom! What's with all these guys talking about Sprites?

Wowak
Wowak SuperDork
12/31/09 2:20 a.m.

i've had the idea of a pre-"roundeye" WRX as a winter/rally beater rattling around in my head for a while, and while its still not "in the budget" I'm sure I'll be watching this build with interest. Plus the older WRXs seem non-existant in Tennessee.

todraines
todraines New Reader
1/3/10 9:20 p.m.

I like beaterworld's idea. But, I'm biased: 03 WRX wagon, stock wheels, Tein coilovers, Helix up- and down-pipes, Tanabe catback (too loud!)

Dav
Dav Reader
1/7/10 9:57 p.m.

Very nice. I wanted a bugeye WRX bad when they first came out--but the dealers were gouging and I bought a brand new 1SC Z28 instead. A year later I sold the Camaro and bought a new black bugeye WRX and still have it. I am really looking forward to future articles.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TIvwUdblsEht36ZnHt5XKi8zxh0eXbcSr5sjIsoXM2skRM7kYfHqgP5ufEAdLEPl