1 2 3 4
m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/15/09 4:22 p.m.

I've been obsessing over a Milano Gold I found for sale. I'd have to sell my XR4ti to get it though.

Someone please talk me out of it.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
6/15/09 4:24 p.m.

Great engine, somewhat difficult to work on rear suspension/transaxle. Ugly, but then an XR4ti only appeals to the weird among us too. I'm not sure I can do much more than that. At least you can buy parts for Milanos. The Merkur is getting rather difficult I think.

drmike
drmike New Reader
6/15/09 4:31 p.m.

Driveshaft Guibos - fun, fun, fun! Also, does the water pump have more than 20K miles? If so, replacement is nigh. Does it need a new mechanical belt tensioner? Have the door panel armrests collapsed yet? How's the clutch? Have you ever replaced the main DeDion front bushing on an Alfetta-class Alfa? Are the rear wheel bearings OK, and if not, have they seized in the DeDion tube yet? Is Alfa Control out of control? Has the steering rack puked its guts yet? Are the front wheel bearings making noise (again)? Is the exhaust rotten and leaking fumes into the car? Have the window motors or switches died yet? Is 2nd gear syncro totally shot (again)?

Whatever you do, don't listen to the sweet, sweet siren song of the Alfa V6, or you're a goner.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/15/09 4:32 p.m.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
6/15/09 5:06 p.m.

Buy it.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/15/09 5:45 p.m.

I have one i have been driving it for over a year, and at least the majority of the time i havent been sorry i bought it. There are a few annoying things though. Window regulators are NLA, and the going price for 20 year older used ones is around $100. The rear brakes are very very hard to get all of the air out of the lines, although a complete brake job is pretty easy otherwise. If its an 87, there was a recall on the headlight wiring, if it wasnt done, you will probably need to rewire the headlights. If you have to remove the torsion bars to replace them with stiffer ones or adjust the ride height, it can really hard to get them unstuck. The fuel line that runs from the fuel tank to the pump is a weird size that i ended up having to drive 2 hours to get a peice of it (after one of the reputalbe parts suppliers sold me the wrong size, even though it was listed as the right sixe on their website).

The timing belt needs changing every 30k miles, you will want to replace the cam seals, water pump and probably the tensioner bearing as well. IMO the mechanical tensioners are a bad idea, but you will have to decide for yourself. Replacing the clutch isnt terribly annoying, becasue most of the time you can just put a new disc in, and not have to spend $800 for a new clutch kit (although if you do that price includes a flywheel as well).

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
6/15/09 6:45 p.m.

Isn't alfa part of fiat? If so would't that mean parts become more available, and recall work can be done again. I pulled that out of my own brain so it might be useless as a thought.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/09 7:47 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: Isn't alfa part of fiat? If so would't that mean parts become more available, and recall work can be done again.

And soon, you'll be able to have it serviced at the Jeep dealership.

alfadriver
alfadriver HalfDork
6/15/09 7:51 p.m.
wherethefmi wrote: Isn't alfa part of fiat? If so would't that mean parts become more available, and recall work can be done again. I pulled that out of my own brain so it might be useless as a thought.

It is, but word from my mechanic is that Fiat is ending production of much of the older Alfa parts. Not sure where the time ends, but it's the reality of making cars.

E-

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
6/15/09 8:29 p.m.

Apparently I need to turn in my man card, I thought the OP was referring to one of the below

Yeah, NOW I know that there's no 'o' in the name of the above...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/15/09 8:52 p.m.

just like with the older fiats.. aftermarket suppliers are stepping up to the plate to take care of the older alfas.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
6/15/09 9:51 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I've been obsessing over a Milano Gold I found for sale. I'd have to sell my XR4ti to get it though. Someone please talk me out of it.

I'd rather have the Milano than the Merkur. I've got nothing else to add other than that.

rcr65
rcr65
6/15/09 9:53 p.m.

I'll give you a free parts car (including a verde rear spoiler and some 15x7 80's HRE mesh Wheels).In Austin!Does this help you resist?

m4ff3w
6/15/09 10:03 p.m.
rcr65 wrote: I'll give you a free parts car (including a verde rear spoiler and some 15x7 80's HRE mesh Wheels).In Austin!Does this help you resist?

You sir, are evil.

I gotta get my XRati sold.

m4ff3w
6/15/09 10:59 p.m.

I've posted my XR for sale.

The car need a clutch slave cylinder, this much I do know.

forzav12
forzav12 New Reader
6/15/09 11:29 p.m.

I wish I could talk you out of it-but I can't. The Milanos we've owned over the years have provided fantastic fun. Still a very tough car to beat over a undulating, twisty road with a bit of character. Sweet engine, compliant chassis, well balanced and sensible size, unique looks and a race heritage-what's not to like?(Don't answer that!)

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
6/16/09 3:42 a.m.

Clutch slave is pretty easy, if the master cylinder needs changing though, thats not a fun job (it is bolted on from inside the car way up underneath the dashboard.).

m4ff3w
6/16/09 6:51 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: Clutch slave is pretty easy, if the master cylinder needs changing though, thats not a fun job (it is bolted on from inside the car way up underneath the dashboard.).

Sounds like the X1/9 master cylinders.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/09 7:33 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I've posted my XR for sale. The car need a clutch slave cylinder, this much I do know.

Where did you post the XR for sale... and the obligatory "how much?"

m4ff3w
6/16/09 8:35 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: I've posted my XR for sale. The car need a clutch slave cylinder, this much I do know.
Where did you post the XR for sale... and the obligatory "how much?"

Here locally.

$1500. I havn't put real effort into the ad, just a feeler more or less. I'm not sure I'm ready for the castration attempt that will come my way when I fine running vehicle that I've had less than 2 months for an unknown car with clutch problems.

Although, I did do essentially that when I bought the XR (sold perfectly running X1/9 to fund purchase of XR with blown HG)

EricM
EricM HalfDork
6/16/09 8:36 a.m.
Wowak wrote:

mmmmmm Mint milanos

m4ff3w
6/16/09 9:41 a.m.

Well gang, yall have failed. I want the Milano just as bad, if not more than before.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/09 9:52 a.m.

Me too, with a cold glass of milk

m4ff3w
6/16/09 9:55 a.m.
Wally wrote: Me too, with a cold glass of milk

Well gang, yall have failed. I want the Alfa Romeo Milano just as bad, if not more than before.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
6/16/09 11:34 a.m.

Damnit.

You made me look at Alfas on eBay again.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U8IjXvuOfg0FFmUrGHc4zj4U9ONgy9qRpsf0vo61XkLbYzxbzYL3TkoE7CeAxx8l