1 2 3
Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
7/6/12 1:51 p.m.

Conquest, see Lesley's link above. "The Police Interceptor sedan's base 288-hp, 3.5L V6 is rated at 11.4L/100km city and 7.5 highway – 38 more horsepower than the Crown Vic, yet 35% more efficient. An optional 3.5L EcoBoost V6 produces 365 hp at 13.3/8.8 L/100km, while the utility vehicle's 304-hp, 3.7L V6 has a rating of 13.1/9.1 L/100km city/highway." I doubt you'd ever get Officer Bob into a 2-litre patrol car without a huge amount of pushback.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/6/12 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel:

What about Officer Brenda, you sexist pig?!

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
7/6/12 1:58 p.m.

Ah, I was looking at the new Ford Frontline I got today about the new 2013 and 2014 Taurai powertrain lineup. I'm pretty sure they'll have the 2.0 Ecoboost in the city cop's line up soon enough... 22 MPG city and 32 MPG highway is appealing to those bean counters.

yamaha
yamaha Reader
7/6/12 2:47 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Then again I've seen troopers running NOS.
Like in The Fast and Furious? What cruiser was the NOS on? I knew a guy who owned a tow truck company. He had some hot rod care from the 50's and would highway race state troopers on the way back from accident calls in it. True story. The police are hot rod guys in uniform for the most part.

Back when Indiana State Police had the Camaros for pursuit cars, some had bottles in the back......

The county I am in used to have an unmarked '04 mustang gt with nitrous. The guy who drove it was a tool as well......revving at people sitting at stoplights, then pull them over if they went to go....ya know, just like every other mustang owner.....just with a badge.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
7/6/12 2:51 p.m.

Frankly (since you ask): assuming equal performance, I think it might be easier to sell a small engine to a female officer than to a male who, at the back of his brain, thinks that bigger is always better.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/6/12 3:39 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote: I'd buy *that* for a dollar!
The really funny part is remember when I first saw robocop and thinking how cool these cars were (I had a 89 sable for a while) now I look at them and think that they should be in a lemons race.
That's a Ford 500 in the top pic there.

Kinda. I it is actually a Taurus, same car just face-lifted.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/12 3:54 p.m.

Has anybody sat in one of the new Taurus?

They have the godawful center stack and seat position that makes it impossible to get my legs any in any way comfortable. My knee does not enjoy slamming against hard plastic.

It doesn't matter how cool a modern car is if it sucks to drive.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
7/6/12 4:29 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
Conquest351 wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote: I'd buy *that* for a dollar!
The really funny part is remember when I first saw robocop and thinking how cool these cars were (I had a 89 sable for a while) now I look at them and think that they should be in a lemons race.
That's a Ford 500 in the top pic there.
Kinda. I it is actually a Taurus, same car just face-lifted.

True, I had a 500 sitting right at my window when I posted that. LOL That whole year model was just a bunch of the same thing. Ford 500, Taurus, Sable, blegh. They suck. LOL

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/6/12 4:40 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Xceler8x wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: Then again I've seen troopers running NOS.
Like in The Fast and Furious? What cruiser was the NOS on? I knew a guy who owned a tow truck company. He had some hot rod care from the 50's and would highway race state troopers on the way back from accident calls in it. True story. The police are hot rod guys in uniform for the most part.
Back when Indiana State Police had the Camaros for pursuit cars, some had bottles in the back...... The county I am in used to have an unmarked '04 mustang gt with nitrous. The guy who drove it was a tool as well......revving at people sitting at stoplights, then pull them over if they went to go....ya know, just like every other mustang owner.....just with a badge.

Thats called entrapment and is illegal.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
7/6/12 5:47 p.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

My folks have an 08 Taurus, and I'm pretty impressed with it as a transportation appliance.

Anyway, I've spent some time with the new SHO, and I'm a big fan of the new car. If the TT-AWD Police Interceptor is basically just an SHO workhorse...well...I certainly want.

I just wonder how high the take rate for the turbo models will be. I'd think most folks ordering the fleet cars would look at the turbos as an unnecessary expense and potential maintenance nightmare, and would avoid them.

I really hope I'm wrong, and these things are plentiful in a few years.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/8/12 6:43 p.m.

I sat in an SHO and then I got into a Charger black edition a the NE auto show. No comparison in terms of comfort and me fitting in the car. The charger wins hands down. The Taurus I felt like I was trapped in the thing. Like I was part of the car. The best way I can describe it is the Taurus felt like ti was suffocating me. In the charger I could move around. Much more like the big cars of old.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
7/8/12 8:40 p.m.

I have only gotten tickets from cops in P71s. LEOs in other cars have always let me off with a warning. If this trend continues, I look forward to the retirement of P71s.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/10/12 6:42 p.m.

I just got back from our local sheriffs office and they had two brand new Taurus Interceptors sitting out front they hadn't even gotten plates on them yet. Kinda odd for our little podunk town.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/11/12 7:57 a.m.

They can drive the biggest cars they want, they'll just get blasted for over spending.

It's when they start riding supermotos and sport bikes that'll I'll be worried.

Imagine how well a black sport bike would blend in?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/11/12 8:24 a.m.
PHeller wrote: They can drive the biggest cars they want, they'll just get blasted for over spending. It's when they start riding supermotos and sport bikes that'll I'll be worried. Imagine how well a black sport bike would blend in?

I've thought about a marked sport bike. Even designed subdued lighting setups. I'd love to get someone on a sport bike. No pursuits, though. PR nightmare.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/11/12 8:26 a.m.

A local township used to have a tan Celebrity patrol car. Stealthy. Sneaky. They got me once.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/11/12 8:56 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

All the sneaky detectives use similar. Never run traffic, though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/11/12 3:07 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:

I guess I never noticed this before, but what's up with Robocop's headlights? Those don't look OE.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/11/12 3:10 p.m.

And I guess I just answered my own question: http://www.ford-taurus.org/taurusinfo/Specials/Robocop.php

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
7/11/12 3:17 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Has anybody sat in one of the new Taurus? They have the godawful center stack and seat position that makes it impossible to get my legs any in any way comfortable. My knee does not enjoy slamming against hard plastic. It doesn't matter how cool a *modern* car is if it sucks to drive.

I had no problem fitting in the front of a new Taurus SEL. But the cop versions have a slightly different center stack and a column shifter, to make room for the equipment...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pLBrWahYMWueotsZgEKYhwUCrQfUyHe1lzZIzcWZu6UIvrdWLwjuEW2yb90zhA9U