1 ... 3 4 5
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/24 10:34 a.m.

My E60 M5 gets weird reactions from people or just none at all. It is a polarizing car with BMW people. Some love it and want to know all about it and what it is like to own while others seem offended by it. Almost like they feel insulted that there relationship with their M3 or what ever has been violated and there cool factor has been lessened.  While owning my E60 I have learned BMW people can be weird.  But most of the time people don't know and don't care about my car. The badging is small and only on the back of the car. To most people it is just another midsize sedan. The Dinan exaust on It does make really good noises though. Almost to loud.   Is it a super car?  Was it ever a supercar?  I would say no. It is a unique car for sure that will never be made again due to government regulations. In todays world and car market it would be a complete failure. But it is so much fun. Oh for those that care it really is not a fast car. My Merc is much faster. But the BMW has an urgency and excitement that is so much fun. I mean blasting through the gears with three peddles bringing the v10 up to its 8200 redline with the Dinan exhaust screaming and the ten throttle body's making that roaring sound is something else. And for a 4K car that with a relatively high CG it gets through the corners very well.   

So is it super fun to drive?  Oh yes. Everyone needs a manual V10. Most either don't know it or won't admit it. The car is an event every time you drive it.  But is it a supercar?  No it is not. It lacks that special something that sets super cars apart.  

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
4/6/24 9:56 p.m.

At the end of the day, you just have to be comfortable with the attention they draw.  Answer the same question over and over and over.  If you don't want to talk about it, just don't be a tool bag. I have a ton of experience with exotics, and enjoy sharing them with others. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/24 6:34 a.m.

I got "caught up" getting gas in my Cayman with a guy that just could not get enough of it. He found it incredibly odd that I was fawning over his car rather than being all about my car. You RB swap a 240 and, yes, I am going to drool over your car while you dream of a P-car. I would not call either a supercar though.

You want attention driving around NH? I'll toss you the keys to our Karmann Ghia. EVERYBODY knows someone that has had one. Almost every stop is 20 mins longer than normal.

Larry734
Larry734 New Reader
4/20/24 8:09 p.m.

I've owned a Yellow 2006 Corvette Z06 since new.  Since in Michigan it's garaged in the winter. I used to get a lot more attention when it was new, less today, but the yellow paint really pops and I keep it shined so it gets noticed.  Yes it 'only' has 500hp, but at only 3150lb curb weight it's all the performance this 81 year old should be capable of driving fast.  It's a delight to drive as regular transportation, reliable and good mileage.  Carries 22cubic feet of luggage easily.  Had it to Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohola Parkway when it was traffic free. The hardest thing is keeping it to 85!

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/20/24 11:01 p.m.

Fun read and fun replied - gets interesting when trying to nail down a term like muscle cars or super cars. 

Yupididit, you’re cracking me up with your replies, man, 6 years old or not 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m0lRsbOFLLgXN2Wd5gOMjGplU0mlZevCk8zwILWMyiklfZpcWlhVnz9vMrLJD6Jq