1 2 3
Will
Will Dork
8/15/13 3:28 p.m.

I want yellow headlights on my Camaro, so I grabbed some unknown-brand yellow tint film from Pep Boys. It was so thick that it really made it difficult to conform to the headlight curves, especially around the edges. I didn't like the result.

I tried a transluscent spraypaint designed for Lexan R/C car bodies. I remember using this stuff back in the day and figured it would work. It didn't--it wasn't transluscent enough, and it didn't apply evenly enough.

What have you guys used with success on curvy lights? Will a name brand film like Lamin-X be any easier to work with? Any other products I should try? I know there are pre-cut kits available for some cars, but not for the 98-02 Camaro. This is just for aesthetics, by the way.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
8/15/13 3:31 p.m.

I used stained glass spray paint. Quick, easy and cheap. http://www.krylon.com/products/stained-glass-color/

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 3:33 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I used stained glass spray paint. Quick, easy and cheap. http://www.krylon.com/products/stained-glass-color/

This stuff works really well, just make sure you prep well and then spray a really durable and hard clear over it, or else it'll look pretty bad after a year.

Will
Will Dork
8/15/13 4:16 p.m.

I had heard of that stuff, but it's been impossible to find. Any idea which stores actually carry it?

Also, my headlights have those plastic casting nubs or whatever, so a spray-on solution means I don't have to cut those things off and then sand the headlights smooth.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/15/13 4:27 p.m.

I used the yellow bulb covers out of old Benzes from the junkyard. Install inside the housing and you get the yellow light and stock look :)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 4:28 p.m.
Will wrote: I had heard of that stuff, but it's been impossible to find. Any idea which stores actually carry it? Also, my headlights have those plastic casting nubs or whatever, so a spray-on solution means I don't have to cut those things off and then sand the headlights smooth.

Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's Fabrics carries it around me. I'd just order it from Amazon if you're going to spend more than 30 minutes trying to find it locally.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
8/15/13 4:36 p.m.

Can the film be heated carefully, maybe with hair drier so that its more flexible? Use a heat gun CARFULLY to almost melt it at the most difficult areas?

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
8/15/13 5:38 p.m.

Step 1. Put down the pipe.

Step 2. Reconsider.

Step 3. If still interested in yellow headlights, refer to step 1. If interest in yellow lights is gone, have a beer, the job is complete.

Bryce

Will
Will Dork
8/15/13 5:45 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Step 1. Put down the pipe. Step 2. Reconsider. Step 3. If still interested in yellow headlights, refer to step 1. If interest in yellow lights is gone, have a beer, the job is complete. Bryce

No.

To everyone else, thanks for the help. Yes, I used a heat gun, but either I need more practice, or certain areas of the headlight just had too much curve. It's difficult to find a picture, but the light essentially bulges out at each end, with a flatter section in the middle.

I mainly had problems with the edges of the lens, and one big, big wrinkle that I just couldn't fix. I really think the film I used was just too thick to stretch as much as I needed.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 5:48 p.m.

If you'd rather use film (i would), then it's worth the money for LaminX.

I have these wierd nipples on my lenses that i'm not sure what to do about.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/15/13 5:53 p.m.

Is this for looks, or some other purpose?

I only ask because to my knowledge adding ANYTHING to a headlight like that would cut the light output, even if only by a few lumens. As blind as I am at night, I don't want to lose ANY visibility.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/15/13 5:54 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I have these wierd nipples on my lenses that i'm not sure what to do about.

Ummm yeah, you might wanna have that looked at.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 6:07 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Is this for looks, or some other purpose? I only ask because to my knowledge adding ANYTHING to a headlight like that would cut the light output, even if only by a few lumens. As blind as I am at night, I don't want to lose ANY visibility.

Yellow will punch through fog and smoke and poor weather in general better.

Tinting a lens is a cheap way to achieve a facsimile of the effect. I honestly enjoyed the effect when the MX6 was done, but i also had some pretty strong bulbs in there to counteract the dimming effect.

The RIGHT way to do it is to use a yellow HID, but that can get expensive.

The idea is sound. The execution is what tends to rile people up.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/15/13 6:17 p.m.

Ok that makes sense. I didn't want this to de-escalate into a pissing match- so I was trying to tread lightly. Personally, I wouldn't do it, and I have HID's in at least one of my cars. Which reminds me... I have a spare headlight from an mx6 (that I completely forgot about) and should look at it to see what I need to do to retrofit projectors....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 6:20 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Ok that makes sense. I didn't want this to de-escalate into a pissing match- so I was trying to tread lightly. Personally, I wouldn't do it, and I have HID's in at least one of my cars. Which reminds me... I have a spare headlight from an mx6 (that I completely forgot about) and should look at it to see what I need to do to retrofit projectors....

JDM S13 Silvia headlights.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/15/13 6:25 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
mndsm wrote: Ok that makes sense. I didn't want this to de-escalate into a pissing match- so I was trying to tread lightly. Personally, I wouldn't do it, and I have HID's in at least one of my cars. Which reminds me... I have a spare headlight from an mx6 (that I completely forgot about) and should look at it to see what I need to do to retrofit projectors....
JDM S13 Silvia headlights.

Those fit?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 6:28 p.m.

They almost fit on the MX6 itself.

But because of that, it SHOULD be relatively simple to retrofit their projects to our headlights.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/15/13 6:31 p.m.

Good to know. I will keep an eye out. I'm also considering cutting the back off one and fabbing a light set for it, that's another project that will probably never happen. I suspect I will drive this car precisely once, then start looking for a truck to put it all in lol.

plance1
plance1 Dork
8/15/13 7:31 p.m.

I recall a guy on a forum (not this one) wanted to know how to light up the nozzles for his windshield washer fluid... this falls into the same category

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/13 7:57 p.m.

I would do yellow for the fogs.. not sure I could do it for the mains. Seems "ricey" to me

Hal
Hal Dork
8/15/13 8:23 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I would do yellow for the fogs.. not sure I could do it for the mains. Seems "ricey" to me

"Ricey" and a sure way to a "fix-it" ticket around here.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/15/13 8:28 p.m.

I was going to write a big mess about leaving dude alone, but I left off of it.

old_
old_ Reader
8/15/13 9:06 p.m.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

duplicolor metalcast yellow

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 9:24 p.m.

RICE!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/13 9:40 p.m.

I guess a lot of my dislike for yellow headlights comes from the cars I see using it. Most of them are badly riced out hondas. they seem to come in two flavours around here.. yellow headlights or so blue I am surprised they can see anything (and do not get a ticket for impersonating an officer)

There is an E30 running around with Yellow Highbeams, That does not look so bad

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HOjZHMsVdjgLkU7oX3ESK9RvnEZUfdexnPZzBkVeAEHM0hGmgwSMKxV5uUhXhCh7