1 2
midknight
midknight Reader
6/14/10 1:31 p.m.

Any way to improve performance and/or mileage on the 6.2s? I've got a 2500 I'm putting back on the road and any suggestions to improve the mileage would be greatly appreciated.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
6/14/10 10:47 p.m.

Bump the timing, run veggie oil or veggie oil and diesel mix, free flowing air filter, lockup switch on the trans if its got an automatic with lockup, dual 2.5" exhaust with an X pipe. That would about do it. Keep it under 1600 RPM helps. Unlike a gasser, diesels are guaranteed to use more fuel the faster they spin. Low and slow.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/15/10 5:56 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Trucks are outrageously high priced around here.
So, have you considered looking somewhere else? There's a hell of a lot of rust free, good condition trucks down south calling your name. Texas is a big, dry, truck-lovin' state...lots of trucks on the used market.

My last two trucks were in fact from Texas. Two winters in Ohio and they were both rusty. What's the point?

One question - If all these old diesels get is mid-high teens for mileage, why bother?

You asked us about the 6.5 diesel, not the best truck for your buck.

And the discussion has evolved since then. Sometimes questions arise based on others responses, you know. Interestingly, and at least according to the one source I could find, this truck with the 6.5 has the same tow rating as it would with a 5.7 in it, 8k. The 454 raises that to 9k. My current truck is rated at 10k, and that is what I need. I guess I was assuming a 1 ton with a diesel would be rated better than my BIL's '01 1500, but it's not.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
6/15/10 11:11 a.m.

What is the GVWR of the truck you are looking to purchase?

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/15/10 12:57 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: My last two trucks were in fact from Texas. Two winters in Ohio and they were both rusty. What's the point? ... I guess I was assuming a 1 ton with a diesel would be rated better than my BIL's '01 1500, but it's not.

So it sounds to me like you need to move away from salt (that's what I did, I HATE salt!) or sell your truck and use the proceeds to bribe your brother and start borrowing his truck when you need a truck. Problem solved!

Bryce

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
6/15/10 2:35 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Interestingly, and at least according to the one source I could find, this truck with the 6.5 has the same tow rating as it would with a 5.7 in it, 8k. The 454 raises that to 9k. My current truck is rated at 10k, and that is what I need. I guess I was assuming a 1 ton with a diesel would be rated better than my BIL's '01 1500, but it's not.

My fathers '04 crew cab 1/2 ton 4x4 gmc can pull approx 10k pounds.

A 1996-1998 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 (5.7 or 6.5 diesel) can only do something like 7500??

midknight
midknight Reader
6/15/10 3:07 p.m.

Thanks 93gsxturbo. Has anyone actually sourced cheap veggie oil? Do I show up at the backdoor of McDonalds with 5 gal buckets in hand J/k of course, but what's the best way to get veggie oil?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
6/15/10 6:03 p.m.

Ask the bars you go to if you can have their used oil, leave your totes for them to fill, collect as needed.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
6/16/10 5:56 a.m.
Nashco wrote:
bravenrace wrote: My last two trucks were in fact from Texas. Two winters in Ohio and they were both rusty. What's the point? ... I guess I was assuming a 1 ton with a diesel would be rated better than my BIL's '01 1500, but it's not.
So it sounds to me like you need to move away from salt (that's what I did, I HATE salt!) or sell your truck and use the proceeds to bribe your brother and start borrowing his truck when you need a truck. Problem solved! Bryce

Both would be nice, but both are not doable, unfortunately. I'm stuck here for at least another 5 years. I need a truck several times a week, and my BIL lives 1/2 hour away. It appears that my price cap of $10k puts me in a market for junk or soon to be junk. I either need to spend more or less. For now I think I'll keep looking but start doing some repairs on my current truck to make it more liveable. The truck I originally posted about has been sold.

MA2LA
MA2LA New Reader
6/21/10 5:59 p.m.

Alot of the tow rating are a joke. I'm helping a buddy with a 2500 with 6.5 td. So far we have installed a new PMD with a #9 resistor and relocated it and put on a ebay special 4" exhaust and its pretty impressive. I tows every bit aswell as my big block truck did and get far better mileage. Years ago I knew a hotshot hauler that towed 15k all the time with his 6.5 and never complained one bit.. the main problems are the PMD and stuck waste gate setup.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5D4iwXXkyFvDGhLfFzayTzunwJb8nhSKgz6kOmsVBlDRxva3fmcaMymSBwsluQvF