AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/20 8:13 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

There's a V8 Vairs group on facebook

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
2/29/20 8:40 p.m.

Just a heads up, this combination of parts works if you are short in stature.  Not to worry, you will become hard of hearing.  

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/29/20 10:42 p.m.

For $200 with title, not bad. But they have real transaxles now or even transverse setup for a mid-engine.

I have my project Audacious, which is a 67 Corvair getting a mid-engine Audi 4.2 with a 944S transaxle.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/1/20 8:25 a.m.

Was the transmission facing forward into the car, or was it hanging into the engine bay?  It's the second one (Kelmark) that has the hard to find modified input shaft.

The Crown style (trans in front) really does eat up leg space, as in 5' 10" is likely a max.

Either way, it is a pretty classic (in the true tradition) rad rod type conversion.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/1/20 1:00 p.m.

I sold the original diff and powerglide for like $150 on mine to a dune buggy guy, so you might get  your purchase price right back.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/20 6:50 p.m.

How about a Subie engine in a Corvair?  Just wondering.

McDesign
McDesign New Reader
3/1/20 9:49 p.m.
aircooled said:

Was the transmission facing forward into the car, or was it hanging into the engine bay?  It's the second one (Kelmark) that has the hard to find modified input shaft.

Clarks' Corvair has five in stock as of a month ago.  I called and asked if I should buy one pre-emptively, and she said no reason; they don't sell that fast.

Forrest

McDesign
McDesign New Reader
3/1/20 9:50 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

I like the Kelmark setup - I have one in a kit car - there's a recent thread I did on putting in a cheap-o lube pump made form a power steering pump.

Forrest

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZTD4iTGwTkSrbTyP89I3BV8BvFdQKgDpp7HQZTET4F2rnUCZgZnSzdwTD72D8w7R