1 2 3 4
Lightning
Lightning New Reader
5/16/09 10:27 p.m.

well, as previously seen in This Thread

Black Stig and I made a bet to see who could build a better car for $30,000, including the purchase price. (running along a similar set of rules as the $200x Challenge)

Well, it took me awhile, but I finally got my contender.

here it is: the "Flying Brick II"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and I scored it for $350!

And I've got until October of next year...

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
5/16/09 10:50 p.m.

Wow I want to see how this ends. Good luck Lighting!!!!!

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/16/09 11:09 p.m.

Pfft, lets see

30k to make a POS car "good"

or

a good car better

I have at least a one year head start on track time, so there's the driver mod

I still don't see where he's going to get the extra $29,650 bucks to just "drop" into his car because I make double what he does (at least) and am still having trouble finding the money to just mod the car with normal stuff.

This is pointless, but you know what, to prove a point, I have no problem leaving you in my dust and watching you spray oil all over Road Atlanta's kitty litter.

-Dave

andrave
andrave Reader
5/16/09 11:45 p.m.

Its a bad sign when the project starts with a uhaul rental....

Lightning
Lightning New Reader
5/16/09 11:47 p.m.

Belive it or not, the thing actually ran! it sat for 3 years under a tree before I got it. The old owners were in disbelief when it fired up. I made out like a bandit this thing.

Jay
Jay Dork
5/17/09 3:14 a.m.

Sorry, but... You're seriously going to sink thirty grand into that??

If you're spending that much anyway why not start with something that costs a little more than $350 and actually has some sporting pretensions? You're going to need to re-invent the wheel every time you turn a bolt with that Chrysler.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good score for $350 but for a $30 000 build, you can do better.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/17/09 9:41 a.m.

Mopar Action (I think) built an ex-cop car Diplomat for open road racing like the Silver State Classic. You might want to look into that.

edit: it was Mopar Muscle and here's the article:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/mopp_0403_1989_dodge_diplomat_police_car/index.html

Take that, P71.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/17/09 9:53 a.m.

I'd also recommend cutting your budget down to 10%. I think it would be better for everyone. It would be a lot more embarrassing for Stig if you schooled him in a $3000 M-body.

As a discussion point, a theoretical $29,650 could go a lot further in your car than $12,600 could go in his Mustang. You could probably find a retired NASCAR chassis for $29,650 and plop your M-body on top.

I still don't think you should actually do it. Think about all the incredible depreciated super cars you can pick up for sub-$30k: Honda NSX, C5 Vette, etc.

RossD
RossD Reader
5/17/09 10:07 a.m.

Hell you could find a tattered first year viper for $29K. Tattered is a loose term when it comes to vipers but you know what I mean. Nothing like dropping a v10 and manual trans into a 4 door white car.

1994 Viper for under $27k

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
5/17/09 10:08 a.m.

I agree. Lately I've been in "money in the mattress" mode, so I couldn't fathom spending 30K on a...uh...Diplomat.

But, if you've got it, go for it.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/17/09 10:10 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: I agree. Lately I've been in "money in the mattress" mode, so I couldn't fathom spending 30K on a...uh...Diplomat. But, if you've got it, go for it.

I'm always in "money in the mattress" mode, that's why I frequent this site, haha

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
5/17/09 10:13 a.m.

Might want to watch this: Top Gear Episode Avantime v. Evo X

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/17/09 11:00 a.m.

I like this part of the episode better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OLbtpuQOpU&feature=related

The_Jed
The_Jed New Reader
5/17/09 11:23 a.m.

Transverse torsion bar ahoy! I almost bought one of these from a friend.It's an '85 Dippy cop car with a slightly warmed over 318 and an ailing 904.It comes with a 727 that has a reverse,manual valve body.It too has sat for a while. The guy still has it if you're interested in another even if it's only for the HD rear end and rear springs. I would buy it if I didn't already have a Subaru project.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
5/17/09 12:12 p.m.

Wait. CAN you spend $30,000 on that car? I figure that by the time you get to about $15,000 (including a wicked twin-turbo V-8 monster) you'd run out of crap to buy for it.

Black Stig: what's your project? Please share!

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
5/17/09 12:32 p.m.

You could easily spend $30k on an aluminum big block, standalone efi, a built rear axle and a manual tranny that would take it, but why? A decent 340, a shift kit, stiffer suspension and bigger wheels and tires would probably be plenty, and not cost near that much.

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/17/09 12:35 p.m.
Carson wrote: I'd also recommend cutting your budget down to 10%. I think it would be better for everyone. It would be a lot more embarrassing for Stig if you schooled him in a $3000 M-body.

Dude, come on, you don't believe that yourself. LOL!

Carson wrote: As a discussion point, a theoretical $29,650 could go a lot further in your car than $12,600 could go in his Mustang. You could probably find a retired NASCAR chassis for $29,650 and plop your M-body on top.

Oh great, now he's gonna talk about THAT for the next year-and-a-half and never do it.

Carson wrote: I still don't think you should actually do it. Think about all the incredible depreciated super cars you can pick up for sub-$30k: Honda NSX, C5 Vette, etc.

We tried to tell him this, but he beleives that he's smarter than everyone else when it comes to this stuff. Personally, if he DOES sink 30 grand into it and that makes his car faster than mine, it'll just be laughed at because you sank 30 grand just to beat up on a Mustang. Congratulations.

RossD wrote: Hell you could find a tattered first year viper for $29K. Tattered is a loose term when it comes to vipers but you know what I mean. Nothing like dropping a v10 and manual trans into a 4 door white car. 1994 Viper for under $27k

He won't do this either, but he'll talk about it . . ."Oh but I can put a Viper engine in my car didly derp derp". We've tried to steer him in another direction with cars before, but he doesn't listen. I've been down this road with him for over a year now and my team mate, Joe, has been through this for over 4 years. We'll see though, we'll see

JFX001 wrote: I agree. Lately I've been in "money in the mattress" mode, so I couldn't fathom spending 30K on a...uh...Diplomat. But, if you've got it, go for it.

That's just it, he doesn't have it and won't have it . . .

Rangeball wrote: Might want to watch this: Top Gear Episode Avantime v. Evo X

That won't work, it'll just make him say "Well I've already got a V8 and I can stuff any motor in there I want." Don't believe me? I'm uploading last Friday's radio show as we speak, I'll even throw up the clip from the conversation we had.

confuZion3 wrote: Wait. CAN you spend $30,000 on that car? I figure that by the time you get to about $15,000 (including a wicked twin-turbo V-8 monster) you'd run out of crap to buy for it.

LMAO! Well you can also go carbon fiber everything and a tube-frame chassis, that's gotta be at least 15k in and of itself, LMAO! I dunno, I'm just waiting for this to round out so I can take my money and go home. I don't even want to see the damn hat dance (although we'll still make him do it) I just want him to shut up about how "awesome" this car is simply because you can fit a big engine in it. I mean, you can put a big engine in a Buick Road Master, doesn't make it a good car.

confuZion3 wrote: Black Stig: what's your project? Please share!

How now brown cow . . .I've made promises to a local company that I won't divulge anything until the time comes for me to drive it. It's gonna suck but I ca do it. And if you're wondering why I'm telling THIS much . . .it's because I love watching grown men sweat in anticipation, LMAO!

Lets just say that the new stuff will not only make my hobby easier, it'll also make life a little easier, LOL!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
5/17/09 12:41 p.m.

sweet challenge........does the loser get both cars at the end of the contest?

Resale value on a 80s 4 POS with $30K in it.....$351

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/17/09 12:54 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Nah, we keep our cars at the end . . .351 bucks, LOL! Wow!

Oh well, I still say I'll sit back and see what's going on with this car . . .if he thinks he can have anything competitive by the end of next year, I'm all ears!

Did I mention that he has absolutely ZERO, NONE, NO, ZILCH, NADA, seat time?

-Dave

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
5/17/09 2:19 p.m.

Good luck, Lightning - what are you going to do for a front suspension on it? Coil over conversion? The front suspension on these doesn't have a good reputation, so I'll be very interested in seeing what you do to fix that.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/17/09 2:38 p.m.

would it have not just as easy to break out gt4 for $30,000 to spendthing on?

and whats the point of blowning 30k on a car anyway?

for 2k you can biulf some kiiler cars..just look at the past could of issues of the zine.

and just what type of racing are you guys doing anyway?

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/17/09 3:05 p.m.

He's wants to dump 30 grand into this car to be able to out pace me around Road Atlanta.

Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/17/09 3:15 p.m.

$30,000, that's almost 20 Miatas!

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/17/09 3:42 p.m.

Damn you people NOW I want a VIPER....arghhhhh

Black Stig
Black Stig Reader
5/17/09 4:43 p.m.

DO EEETT! DO EET NOW!