1 ... 3 4 5
Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/23 2:41 p.m.

Hooper was the first movie I ever saw in the Theaters. I was probably 10 at the time. That car scene made a long-lasting impression on me. I'm surprised it made the original list. It's pretty obscure these days. 

My favorite car chases will always be just about any episode of The Dukes Of Hazzard. Yes, I know not a movie, and yes, I know they were corny, but it gave me my weekly fix of spinning tires and sliding cars while I was growing up. That show has cost me many sets of rear tires over my driving career. I regret none of them. 

sidv66
sidv66
10/12/23 4:21 p.m.

"The Hidden" with Kyle McLaughlin opening chase scene is pretty good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P76cCj1Jssc

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/13/23 7:44 a.m.

Weird 1977 Italian movie with Citroen DS and a 1960s Ferrari

I just found this on YouTube. Enthusiasts will cry during the second half. Suspect the stunt drivers were part of the Remy Julienne team.

Per Internet Movie Car Database:  This movie was based on a real story: the legendary Commissario Spatafora and a "little" personal gift, two black 250 GTE, Enzo Ferrari made to Rome's Squadra Mobile (Police Patrol).
It is true that a car chase ended in Piazza di Spagna after jumping down the stairs of Trinità dei Monti.
One of the two 250 GTE, with "scars" in the underbody, now rests in the Museo delle Pantere Storiche, a collection of vintage italian Police car.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/13/23 3:56 p.m.

Multiple Mad Max comments, but no final chase scene from The Road Warrior?  That was completely epic.  As much as I loved Fury Road, I think I still prefer the Road Warrior.

Brekkurz
Brekkurz GRM+ Member
1/15/24 9:23 a.m.

The opening getaway in "Drive" is fantastic! But it loses point for getting you all hyped before finding out the rest of the movie has no driving in it. Much disappoint.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
1/15/24 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Brekkurz :

That's how I felt about Baby Driver. The opening chase is fantastic, but not much ingenuity in the rest of the movie's car scenes.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/16/24 12:25 p.m.
j_tso said:

In reply to Brekkurz :

That's how I felt about Baby Driver. The opening chase is fantastic, but not much ingenuity in the rest of the movie's car scenes.

The foot chase scene in the mall and through the parking lot is pretty exceptional, though. Just a fantastic use of pace to control tension through that whole sequence.

Andrew Polasek
Andrew Polasek New Reader
4/1/24 1:13 p.m.

Did anyone mention the original Italian Job? BMW police cars chasing an original Mini Cooper. Epic.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
4/2/24 6:42 a.m.

Not BMWs. Alfa Romeos. Because, Italy.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry UltraDork
4/2/24 10:46 a.m.

Try The Last Stand.  It's actually hard to find but some fun stuff with a c6 zr1 (both real zr1's and fake). 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
4/3/24 12:56 p.m.

A buddy worked in Hollywood and said that at the time, there was a whole parking lot full of identical (and very bent) Dukes of Hazard cars.

Somewhat related, there's a YT video I can no longer find that shows a kid doing an epic jump in his pickup that was Way further than anything the Dukes did. Of course, no safety gear, no helmet, and yeah, it ended about as expected. The kid was seriously banged up, bloody nose from hitting the steering wheel, and his truck was totaled. As I recall, his mother was yelling at the camera guy to stop filming. Good of her to step in after the fact, like the jump itself wasn't a problem. Anyway, hopefully he learned something.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 HalfDork
4/3/24 1:16 p.m.

I like the one top gear made for the Sweeney

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/3/24 3:22 p.m.

I just remembered one, the chase from Mr. Majestyk.  Charles Bronson in a Ford F-150.  It was good enough that Ford used it in their TV ads.  

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
njWm8ZcKjHzxGh0udKr2mgXc0JFOTzox3rJtE6uPPbhfGJcPozRzzImHYtwIAWao