1 2
Opti
Opti Dork
10/17/22 10:47 a.m.

Personal experience is they are great in an S10 and suck in a full size. Used to be they werent much cheaper than a 5.0 or 5.7 in the trucks, so there was no point, and since they are essentially the same engine, you see no reliability improvements in going with the 6 over the 8, also I never saw a real fuel economy gain with the 6.

Nowadays the 6 cylinders are sooo much cheaper in the GMT400s atleast around here. If I found a smoking deal on a single cab short bed 4.3 with a manual I might actually consider it, but its use case would be similar to a 4.3 S10. Nothing but real small trailers, and loads in beds.

The 4.3 isnt really any less reliable than the same V8. If you get a spider injection truck it will need a spider in a 6 or an 8. it will also need intake gaskets, same as a V8, but they make an upgraded metal one and then your done. If you get a TBI 4.3 its the same as maintaining a tbi 5.0 or 5.7.

Id be looking for atleast the small V8 but if the premium is really high the 4.3 may work depending on your intended usage.

P.S. I was hoping this thread was about the weird 90s 4.3 V8.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
10/17/22 11:07 a.m.

One big issue to watch for is the Dex-Cool that GM started using in the 90's.  Endless cooling problems can result.  Mrs. VCH had a 2000 Jimmy with the 4.3 and around 160,000 miles it started needing all sorts of cooling system related repairs.  We fixed it, gave it to her brother, and he finally donated it with around 200,000 on it.  Still running, rust free, and not in terrible shape.  

Dad had several 4.3 powered half ton 2WD chevy trucks that were pretty good to him, a 92, a 97.  His current truck has the last 4.3, a 2017, with DoD.  He was mad when he went to look for a new truck that he can't get the 6 cylinder anymore, it's either a turbo 4 or the Ecotec 5.3 V8.  I told him to keep driving his 6 cylinder truck for a few more years until the market cools off.  

I had a mid-90's 4.3 truck with a 5 speed.  2WD, 1500 silverado.  It was a great truck, plenty quick, 25 mpg.  Should have kept it.  I used to work at the GM factory where they built the s-10's and Blazers.  I drove hundreds of these little trucks off the assembly line.  A 2 door, 2WD blazer with the Xtreme package and the 5 speed would catch the tires in 3rd.  I wish I'd bought one new.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JMi3gZKpSK1rhT1w9Ki0SGAKBYB0UQcxZvysfB31oo1vWbgpHvAWWEFLJuAFYCrU