1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/6/13 10:13 p.m.

While out for a bike ride this evening, I came across a Lotus M100 Elan in front of someone's house. The plates were from far away from here.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/6/13 10:18 p.m.

Neighbor behind has several late 60's Mopars, all very cool and rare.

The two of us are about it in this Podunk

corytate
corytate SuperDork
10/6/13 10:21 p.m.

is-f and focus st top the list in the apartment complex. There's a t5 c30 as well that I really like. Plus my car has white steelies so it's obviously at the top of the list

dabird
dabird Reader
10/6/13 10:22 p.m.

Ford Cortina behind a garage about two blocks away

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/6/13 10:29 p.m.

My neighbor is into old GM A-bodies. I think they're working on a Chevelle and an Cutlass. One of their buddies shows up in reasonably decent 60's Camaro now and then. I've lived here for 21 years and I don't think I've seen one move under its own power yet, but I hear them fired up once in awhile...

A few months ago I was at the end of my driveway and down the block was a white BMW on a trailer... which turned out to be an Spec E36 race car. Was odd seeing that in my little island of rednecks in suburban Philly...

Other than that, it's typical stuff... a few Vettes... crusty Mustangs, and so on. Whenever I have the Mini and/or GT6 outside, they'll usually turn the heads of those driving by.

Mr_Estrotica
Mr_Estrotica Reader
10/6/13 10:38 p.m.

There's a pretty decent Datsun 510 sedan a few doors west of me that disappears for a few weeks at a time. A really clean '85/'86 Mars Red GTI usually takes it place.

The winner for my neighborhood is probably the old man that still drives his beater tri-five Chevy every day.

Good idea for a thread. I'll snap a few shots of the cool stuff next time I'm out walking.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
10/7/13 12:39 a.m.

Neighbor has several modified bugs, an SRT4, and just picked up a fixer-upper 911.

Another neighbor has some 30's vintage pickup that he DD's.

Friend's father-in-law about a mile down the road has an Esprit and just purchased a GT-R.

Nice looking Camaro across the street and a Civic Si down the block. And of course our S2000, RX8, and 944Spec.

This town attracts all kinds of cool cars. When I was working afternoons, I would pretty commonly see some rallies of one sort or another driving through town: 911, Lamborghini, Classic British, Cobra replicar, whatever.

I started collecting photos of cool cars when I see them. Unfortunately, I'm driving most of the time, so there are a lot of cool one's I've seen but haven't captured: https://plus.google.com/photos/102000663910457473639/albums/5931881422817727201

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/7/13 1:21 a.m.

The only one in the hood is a late FC RX-7. Stock. But its cleeeeeeean.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
10/7/13 1:56 a.m.

Coolest car near me is my buddy's 70 Monte Carlo. He dropped a fo fiddy fo in it back in like 82. He brings it over so I can blow the cob webs out of it since his eyesight is getting bad. Not as fast as my friend from works RSX, but will do about 125 tops on the long straight roads around me. Which is scarey with its stock front suspension still set up for the factory tree fiddy.

But dang that Q-Jet sounds good opened up at high RPMs. Uh, high RPMs for a big block.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
10/7/13 6:27 a.m.

at my last house my neighbor across the street owned a yellow and a white70's-ish Buick GSX's. his plates said MR GSX and MRS GSX.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/7/13 6:38 a.m.

Well...There are a few. We are now down 1 V8 miata. Dan Pedroza moved in the summer. Now we only have Vitek B's killer V8 NC up the street.

There is was a 1971 Vette Convertible just up the street that was pretty nice. They just sold the house. The neighbor across the street has an MGA which is pretty nice. There is a 1968 Camaro being restored right around the corner. His neighbor has a 1968 Datsun Roadster. My wife likes the Opel GT up the road.

There are a couple of 240 and 260Z floating around. One has a G-Nose and I want to rescue it from this guys garage. It's been under cover since I moved in and everytime I see it more stuff is stacked on it. Then there is Tom Holt's FP 260 as well.

Oh there is a nice ground pounding 1970 1/2 camaro that my wife loves. It's pretty wicked with it's big block.

I've seen 2 FD's in the neighborhood and the normal boxsters, Mustangs, STI's, M3, and 911's. There is a Factory 5 Cobra as well.

My wife says I know the neighbors by their cars. :) I run so I have plenty time to take note of the cool cars running around the 'hood

Jerry
Jerry Dork
10/7/13 7:05 a.m.

I had someone around the corner up the hill with an old Datsun Z from early 70's but I think he moved recently (or sold it). Only other thing is a couple old Jeep CJ-somethings across teh street.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/7/13 7:11 a.m.

My neighbor has a 57, 58, and a 59 Corvettes and a 57(?) Coupe De ville.

Nocones used to live a block or so away, so all of his cars have left. Apparently the guy across the street had a MG TD in his basement. (Daniel, is that what you said?)

Then there is a 57 Chevy at the end of the street and another guy that has a 318ti that has good whine, almost supercharger like; his son visits him with a Miata or WRX.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/7/13 7:47 a.m.

In my neighborhood, a Town & Country is considered pretty cool. But nearby in a McMansion development, I have seen every Porsche you can think of, including a yellow GT, various Ferrari and Lambos, Bently's and other rich-guy play toys.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/13 8:00 a.m.

The guy next door to me has a flared, autocross prepped '65 Corvette that he has owned since around 1968.

There's a Ford guy around the corner who has a real 289Cobra, a Tiger, a TVR Griffith and a '64 Thunderbolt. He used to have Mustangs and a pair of F-code Thunderbirds, but I think those were sold.

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
10/7/13 8:02 a.m.

There's a guy down the street from me who has 3 911's. One is quite new and gets driven all year round (I'm in Canada, eh), the '90's convertible sits in the driveway with a cover on it 98% of the year and the rarely opened garage houses a 911SC which I've never seen outside. There's also a guy with a Time Attack RX-8.

The true garages-of-envy though are a little further down the road. In that area there's a guy with a pristine E30 M3, some limited edition Mustang, a Triumph Daytona and a Triumph Bonneville in his garage. An old friend's father is in that area too and he has a beautifully restored MGA, a similar AH 3000, a Mera Ferrari replica built very well and an awesome Datsun 240 with a hot engine in it. This was one of the cars Nissan restored and re-sold a number of years ago.

While there's some pretty impressive high end stuff I just wish I owned the Fiat Spider a block away which looks to be in great shape but the only time I've ever seen it move is when the guy moved from one side of the street to the other!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/13 8:05 a.m.

When I was in high school, there was a car parked in the driveway across from my friend's house. It never moved. Every time I went over there, I'd stare at it and try to figure out what it was. Finally one day, I walked up the long steep driveway to take a closer look. It was a Lamborghini 400.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/7/13 8:06 a.m.

Neighbors '27 Roadster Super Gas car, by far the coolest on this street. I can sit on my porch and smell the fuel when he's loadin' up.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/7/13 8:22 a.m.

I think the only cool cars in my neighborhood are parked in my garage.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b Reader
10/7/13 8:42 a.m.
Woody wrote: There's a Ford guy around the corner who has a real 260 Cobra, a TVR Griffith and a '64 Thunderbolt. He used to have Mustangs and a pair of F-code Thunderbirds, but I think those were sold.

Not sure if I'm more excited that the Cobra is a 260 or that he also has a Tunderbolt....

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
10/7/13 8:46 a.m.

In my neighborhood its definitely my ZX. In my girlfriends neighborhood its her next door neighbors v6 twin turbo MR2.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/7/13 9:01 a.m.

A lot that I couldn't name, but my favorites are the 65 Mustang and the 73 LTD Interceptor.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/7/13 9:02 a.m.

'66 mustang coupe
fox-body drag car
'66 bsa lightning
'72 (i think) MBz 250c (bsa guy)
'74 triumph spitfire (bsa guy)
'73 corvette ragtop
fiat x1/9
'37 chevy street rod
'29 ford model a street rod

all within 2 blocks. probably more than i don't know about, since i've only been in this sub 3 years.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/7/13 9:23 a.m.

There is a mid '70s Camaro and some old aircooled VWs that I know.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
10/7/13 9:36 a.m.

One of my neighbors is retired from Ford and plays with cars. His collection makes my 10 cars look downright normal. He's currently working on a '58 Mercury station wagon, a wedge car hauler with a sleeper, late 40s Ford truck body and a 7.3 diesel, trans and front suspension from a later model truck. He also has two Falcons that he drag races regularly, and is putting the finishing touches on a previously-restored '64 Galaxie. The star of his collection, however, is a real '64 Galaxie factory lightweight.

He was working on the TVR for a friend when I took that photo. I wish it was his.

Another of our neighbors has an MGB with a Ford 2.3T/manual swap. It has been a work in progress since I bought my house 4 years ago. Next door to him is a '73 Valiant with a Chrysler crate engine of some flavor in it. Calling it restored would be a misnomer since the owner inherited it from his grandfather. It's factory perfect aside from a set of tasteful wheels and a beautifully modern engine bay. One house past that is a lovely restored '56 Chevy four-door. I've never seen it outside of the garage. Another neighbor passed away, leaving his house empty and a collection of Metro convertibles languishing in the driveway. Beside his house there's regularly a Silverado 454SS and '94-'96 Impala SS in the driveway. One home down from that is a restomodded AC Beetle and a work in progress '73-80 RCSB Chevy pickup. One street over is a MINT '93 Mustang Cobra in that awesome teal color. The guy's DD is a modified E36 coupe. At the end of the street is a '79 Cadillac Phaeton Coupe sinking into the ground.

I'll stop there.

I think I live in the right area. My neighbors all make me feel normal, even though I'm the guy with the strange old JapEurotrash.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sMpuhhAlbIh0eRe3mcJj8yiSHiAmfRyNx6wtBWcBr05gteoYihEw2jlYQQCx4qJA