1 2
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/31/10 8:37 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Oddly enough... I was driving thru a little town called Clifford, PA last night in my 911 and I saw that EXACT car with 80's gold BBS deep dish basketweaves - you know - the kind that they put on 911s and CSLs back then. In any any case... it looked super hot. Like these:

Very cool. I am trying to determine what "look" I want for the car and wheels make a big part of that. There are some Volvo Dracos and Virgos available locally but I'm not sure how they would look.

hobiercr
8/31/10 8:39 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Just a note, you can't pump the gas on an SU carb - there is no accelerator pump, so that leg pumping was probably just for fun.

We were pumping the brake pedal to try and build pressure and the Weber 32/36 is on the car. The SUs are in the trunk.

hobiercr
8/31/10 9:00 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Is it this car from craigslist in St. Augustine... http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/1882168519.html

Nope, it was available locally here in Clearwater. I got it for much less than that!

AngryCorvair wrote: i say do what makes you happy. congrats on finding that car and driving it home. now go fix it up the way you want it to be. dual-circuit master cylinder, or a pair of tiltons, is a great first step. get an adjustable prop from summit / speedway / jegs, don't bother hunting down rare or expensive parts.

While working on it last night I decided that for now it is getting a replacement single circuit MS. They are readily available and I want to get it on the road and driving and NOT sitting in the shop while my brain has time to think about all the things I WANT to do to the car (a common problem). Down the road I will upgrade the brakes though.

On Sunday, the day after getting the car, I went and picked up another B18 that was posted on the local CL boards. It is out of a '66 122 and came with an original AC compressor, starter and generator along with the brackets, adjusters, etc. It also has a brand new intake/exhaust gasket, rotor, cap, sp wires and a brand new fuel pump. Supposedly it has an aftermarket cam but the PO didn't know what the grind was. The plan is to determine which is the weaker motor and then punch it out to 2.0L, add naughty parts, upgrade the exhaust and add a little more power.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
8/31/10 9:11 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: Very cool. I am trying to determine what "look" I want for the car and wheels make a big part of that. There are some Volvo Dracos and Virgos available locally but I'm not sure how they would look.

Check your bolt pattern first! IIRC the early cars like yours had the small Ford pattern.

hobiercr
8/31/10 9:16 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
hobiercr wrote: Very cool. I am trying to determine what "look" I want for the car and wheels make a big part of that. There are some Volvo Dracos and Virgos available locally but I'm not sure how they would look.
Check your bolt pattern first! IIRC the early cars like yours had the small Ford pattern.

I'm almost positive it is a 5x4.5 (114.3).

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
8/31/10 9:23 a.m.
hobiercr wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
I'm almost positive it is a 5x4.5 (114.3).

Then the later Volvo wheels you're talking about won't fit without an adapter. The later pattern is 5x108. I vote for some Mustang take-offs. Mine were $380 shipped. Found them on ebay a few years ago.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/10 9:31 a.m.

An Amazon thread can't go any longer without this car. I like the look of it a lot!

hobiercr
8/31/10 9:34 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: An Amazon thread can't go any longer without this car. I like the look of it a lot!

That car is so badass! It made me start looking for 122 wagons until I realized that I probably don't have the skill to remove an entire set of doors.

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
8/31/10 9:35 a.m.

We made an adapter to fit Mustang calipers on the front to replace the wacky, effective but heat soaked plagued three cylinder front calipers. We then used white wagon wheels with the ford bolt pattern. Looked pretty sweet to me. Get an IPD front sway bar and cut the springs to a reasonable ride height and they handle pretty well.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
8/31/10 9:41 a.m.

i hate you. the amazon is fantastic looking

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/31/10 10:29 a.m.

I kinda dig the slots... but this is coming from someone who owns a Starsky & Hutch Torino.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/31/10 10:36 a.m.
hobiercr wrote:
dyintorace wrote: That car is so badass! It made me start looking for 122 wagons until I realized that I probably don't have the skill to remove an entire set of doors.

Leave it a four-door and just shave the rear handles. That will get you 90 percent of the 2-door look.

The only problem with wagons (besides the additional weight) is that prodigious rear overhang can't help handling

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
8/31/10 10:44 a.m.

Very nice. By coincidence, I just got my '67 Amazon wagon on the road. I've put about 1000 miles on it since getting it roadworthy. Mine had had the engine rebuilt before I got it, but needed other things before it could be driven and thus sat for 4 or 5 years. But yeah, those B18s engines are pretty rugged little buggers, most will start with very little tinkering.

One upgrade I did on mine was to replace the generator with a GM type alternator. It really is a "no brainer". Consider:

Generator: 30amps, weighs 30 pounds, costs $250 for a replacement

versus

Alternator: 100 amps, weighs 5 pounds, costs $30 for a replacement

Just make sure you do the 3 wire install and not the idiot 1 wire. I was an idiot and did a 1 wire first and then went back and replaced that with the 3 wire. I get 14 volts at idle, and run a good sized stereo amp with it. Lights, wipers, everything works MUCH better. I fabbed up a bracket out of scrap metal, it was super easy. I did have to use a slightly shorter belt, though, as the pully diameter was a litle smaller.

Also, make sure the chokes work. My wagon starts with just a flick of the key, when I pull out the chokes in the morning. The choke cables are finnickey, though. I plan on replacing them with some fittings from a bike shop when I get around to it. Like tuna55 said, SUs don't have accelerator pumps, you can't just pump the crap out of them to make up for no choke like a Holley. You NEED a choke.

volvoclearinghouse
8/31/10 10:57 a.m.

Concerning IPD, already spoke with them today for the first project...BRAKES. The master cylinder is shot and probably original. A rebuild kit probably won't do the trick and a new one can be had for ~$120. Problem, the original is a single circuit design and as I eventually wan to go to a disk rear (and more safety) I want to go with a dual circuit master. 2nd problem: While I can use a dual circuit master out of a '70-73 P1800 (direct bolt in), they now do not come with the reservoir so I would have to find one (kinda hard) and then find a proportioning valve (really hard) out of a donor P1800. Not many of those to be found. Also, I HATE the gas/brake pedal setup in this car. WAY too close together and my fat feet seem to always find both. SOOO, thinking about "fixing the glitch" by putting in a Tilton pedal assembly with individual cylinders and a balance bar, possibly even with a new clutch cylinder built in. Something like this.

What say the masses?

We rebuilt the old single MC on our race car for a $20 kit, and it works fine. You will want a brake cylinder hone, we bought 3 of them for $25 at NAPA. Its super easy, and works on rear cylinders, too. Rebuilding is much, much cheaper than replacing and very satisfying and easy. Unless the cylinder is scored or rusty, then its toast.

Interesting, my '67 122 has a dual circuit brake system. I think it was changed over in 67 at some point. Yours may be an earlier car.

I have tons and tons of 122 and 1800 parts. I converted a '68 122 to the full 1800 4 wheel disc brake setup. It flat stops. But, it uses 1800 wheels, which are a different bolt pattern. Stock 122 uses a 5 on 4.5 that can be found on most fords and chryslers from the 60's thru the 80's. In fact, my 122 wagon has 14" wheels in the rear from a '60 dodge dart. The 67 and later 122 had a different rear suspension than the 66 and earlier, which makes bolting on the 1800 suspension bits super easy. You can also get a 4.3 gear ratio, as opposed to your stock 4.1.

The 122's dual circuit MC has no problem working the 4 wheel discs on my '68, even without a booster (the early boosters are unreliable and $$$ to rebuild and replace) I've thought about retrofitting the 1800's booster (more common pancake type) and MC, but that would require modifying the firewall attachment points, and the booster gets in the way of the distributor. If you have strong legs, you don't need the brake booster. Its a 2500 pound car. I have a 3800 pound Plymouth with disc brakes and no power booster.

The pedal setup is tightly placed. My wagon is even worse, since it was originally an automatic car (with a wider trans tunnel) converted to stick. But I drive it even with my size 13 feet and wearing steel toed work boots every day. You get acclimated to it.

Watch out for overboring b18 to 2 litres. Some b18's had casting defects and when you try to punch them out, you hit porosity and now have a very effective paperweight. B20's aren't like 350 chevies, but if you look you can find them- hell, I have 3 or 4 cores at my house that need rebuilding. Find a rusty or smashed fuel injected 1800 and go to town. The FI heads and cam are better, anyway.

volvoclearinghouse
8/31/10 10:59 a.m.
kreb wrote:
hobiercr wrote:
dyintorace wrote: That car is so badass! It made me start looking for 122 wagons until I realized that I probably don't have the skill to remove an entire set of doors.
Leave it a four-door and just shave the rear handles. That will get you 90 percent of the 2-door look. The only problem with wagons (besides the additional weight) is that prodigious rear overhang can't help handling

4 doors used the same roofline as 2 doors. The only difference is the door length.

The wagon is fun to drive, all that extra rear weight adds a touch of oversteer to the chassis!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PD9sPgWk8T9dT7OAY41WxBOdlAM5g3zKZL4Q95z8dUuwt6NeFd3mNHAGpmG2v582