Awww yeeee-aaahhhhh!

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
2/10/11 2:36 p.m.

Sweetness!

Sultan
Sultan Reader
2/10/11 5:34 p.m.

Damn! I just picked a project car.....how can I get my wife to allow me three cars? I have her believing that I need a different cars for different seasons so now I need to come up with a new reason......

imirk
imirk New Reader
2/10/11 5:45 p.m.
Sultan wrote: Damn! I just picked a project car.....how can I get my wife to allow me three cars? I have her believing that I need a different cars for different seasons so now I need to come up with a new reason......

Isn't that one good for 4 cars?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/10/11 6:47 p.m.

Stratos replica with WRX power? SPROINGGGG.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/10/11 8:51 p.m.

We have known about this since last September. Stay tuned, as we are deeply involved and will have some major news on this next week.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/10/11 9:00 p.m.

You guys going to beat the majors to press with this one?

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
2/10/11 9:01 p.m.

What do you mean beat the majors, they ARE the majors.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/10/11 9:06 p.m.

No insult intended, but it would be amusing if GRM got and thoroughly tested a car R@T and C@D couldn't get. :D

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
2/10/11 10:55 p.m.

Oh, boy, oh boy!!!

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/10/11 11:12 p.m.
T.J. wrote:

Hmm...

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/11/11 9:28 a.m.

That looks like a fiero and a jeep had a love child. Still looks better than an aztek.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/12/11 4:33 p.m.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/update/5ffrsurprises/announcement.html

Looks like the appearance is as-yet undecided, and there will be the opportunity for input (in a get-off-your-ass-and-draw-what-you-want sense).

dsycks
dsycks Reader
2/12/11 5:07 p.m.

So as GRM is deeply involved, do we get dibs on early cars and that are deeeply discounted?

dsycks
dsycks Reader
2/12/11 5:12 p.m.

Oh really...

"The base dimensions, running gear, and chassis/suspensions work has been determined. The body shape of this two-seater, mid-engined roadster is not finalized and we have decided, in conjunction with Grassroots Motorsports Magazine, to sponsor a body design competition open to the public and hosted by Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. Full details on this competition will be released shortly and submissions dates begin March 1st.

Full details will be released on our website shortly."

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/11 5:14 p.m.

When will we specifics about the body design competition? Time to dust off the art table and pencils maybe?

irish44j
irish44j Dork
2/12/11 7:09 p.m.

meh forget mid-engined two seater. I want a Lancia Delta Evo HF clone with STi running gear! The hottest looking car with a backseat to ever come out of Italy (yeah, you heard me), but without the unreliability of an Italian car.

(disclaimer: former Delta owner here who wishes he could get one in the USA).

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/12/11 7:38 p.m.

I'll take a mid-engined two seater!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
2/12/11 8:19 p.m.

Oh hai, I have my bodywork submission ready:

I'll accept payment in kit cars.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
2/12/11 9:06 p.m.

I'd settle for this:

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/11 9:10 p.m.

I wish that either this kit or the Smyth kit would have a reasonable back seat option. Originally the Smyth kit was supposed to be a true 2+2, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside.

peter
peter New Reader
2/12/11 9:20 p.m.

I guess we'll have to wait for the contest details, but I'm wondering how things like headlights and glass will be handled. Also, te removable hardtop is an interesting kink. Hope the doesn't end up looking like another generic kit-car hack.

I plan to throw my hat in the ring - who else?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/12/11 9:26 p.m.

In reply to peter:

I can't draw. At all. It's a crime against humanity when I open Photoshop.

But this is enough to make me wonder whether if I really really want to, maybe I can force a reasonable design into existence...

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
2/13/11 11:49 a.m.

I'm considering giving it a shot.

One kink that I thought of last night is the designer will need better than average knowledge of a WRX and the dimensions of the various components: drivetrain, obviously, but also other more mudane items like the dash (assuming it will be reused), the radiator, steering, and so on. Much of these dimensions will likely be a heavy influence on the final design if the goal is a single-source kit with additional component purchases kept to a minimum.

imirk
imirk New Reader
2/13/11 3:13 p.m.

I hear that the Glass (windscreen) is a huge driver in design terms.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Np9OE3BBaUHEhrc3gGAVB3fEJplgAPjCr6tXTK0jjHOT3ORhb65x4nVb3Cm9hCjB