1 2
jrg77
jrg77 Reader
5/10/12 8:58 p.m.

Funny, I would think that would be the opening for the racing harness. That said one would have to have serious ball bearings to put that one on, say Watkins Glen?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
5/10/12 10:12 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Mitchell wrote: Pagani is modern coachwork; the sophisticated supercar. Ferrari and Lamborghini almost appear garish and mass-produced by comparison.
Funny, "garish" is how I've always found Pagani. For all the technical wonderment, I find them too ornately detailed. There's no simplicity anywhere. Every piece of aluminum is machined? I guess casting is too mechanical, not organic enough Seriously, milling an emblem or an intake manifold is just wanking. There's no reason for it other than being able to make a video like this. Awesome cars for sure. But there's a certain element of trying just a bit too hard. I love that jig for the exhaust system though. Beautifully done.

Spot on.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/10/12 10:24 p.m.
Keith wrote:
Mitchell wrote: Pagani is modern coachwork; the sophisticated supercar. Ferrari and Lamborghini almost appear garish and mass-produced by comparison.
Funny, "garish" is how I've always found Pagani. For all the technical wonderment, I find them too ornately detailed. There's no simplicity anywhere. Every piece of aluminum is machined? I guess casting is too mechanical, not organic enough Seriously, milling an emblem or an intake manifold is just wanking. There's no reason for it other than being able to make a video like this.

Truth, but there are worse offenders. At least it is not an ugly Dartz with a whale penis interior

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
5/11/12 8:05 a.m.

The guys buying these cars are the same crowd that's willing to spend $250,000 on a Richard Mille watch:

To the working man in the age of the G-Shock, the idea a mechanical watch machined from exotic materials which takes hundreds of hours to hand make seems like wanking. But to their target market, Pagani and Richard Mille and a few dozen other rarefied brands represent the best of the breed, price-is-no-object pinnacle of skilled craftsmanship.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/11/12 8:16 a.m.

I love it cause there were no corners cut. It is so over the top but it was all done for a reason unlike that thing with the whale penis leather interior.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/11/12 8:28 a.m.

I like this watch better:

http://gizmodo.com/5875758/this-insane-watch-uses-pistons-bellows-and-liquid-to-tell-the-time

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/12 8:32 a.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Keith wrote:
Funny, "garish" is how I've always found Pagani. For all the technical wonderment, I find them too ornately detailed. There's no simplicity anywhere. Every piece of aluminum is machined? I guess casting is too mechanical, not organic enough Seriously, milling an emblem or an intake manifold is just wanking. There's no reason for it other than being able to make a video like this. Awesome cars for sure. But there's a certain element of trying just a bit too hard. I love that jig for the exhaust system though. Beautifully done.
Spot on.

Me too. They have been way too over the top for me. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a car it would be a CCX for me.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Reader
5/11/12 8:33 a.m.

That Richard Mille has teh wants.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/11/12 9:09 a.m.
nderwater wrote: The guys buying these cars are the same crowd that's willing to spend $250,000 on a Richard Mille watch: To the working man in the age of the G-Shock, the idea a mechanical watch machined from exotic materials which takes hundreds of hours to hand make seems like wanking. But to their target market, Pagani and Richard Mille and a few dozen other rarefied brands represent the best of the breed, price-is-no-object pinnacle of skilled craftsmanship.

They're definitely paying for a concept. Lots of people want to own "the best" and they often are unable to identify it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9J1b3MqiX8 It is sort of like having a guitar made from exotic woods, when Taylor showed that one made out of oak shipping pallets works just as well http://webpub.allegheny.edu/dept/envisci/ESInfo/comps/phinnen/website%20(the%20players).html

nderwater
nderwater UltraDork
5/11/12 9:59 a.m.

I'm pretty sure I could make a compelling case to explain why a new Huayra is worth a lot more than a new BRZ, but at the end of the day anyone paying $750,000 to fill their need for personal transportation is buying an idea, not just a car.

That said, I'm still waiting for a compelling case to explain why even basic Patek Philippe watches start at $25,000.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DPfFxrtRCm2YpMB4zTUNnkolTudVU78QfIEGunuUBsD73ILyewQFoM79sO2lh5kA