1 ... 11 12 13 14
Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
8/3/23 8:56 p.m.

Today's project at work: John Deere "small block" getting big valves. With some nasty core shift to boot. Somehow didn't break into water...and If I did we'd just fill it full of concrete anyway.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/15/23 6:04 p.m.

So this summer was a bit slow........ and a bit sad too.   

Loynings Engine Service has closed for good.  Arnie is getting up there, now over 80.   Some views of an empty shop.........

Oh... and another 4AG head.... wink  working the exhaust side

more to come.........

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/28/23 10:35 p.m.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/29/23 11:19 p.m.

20V Silvertop 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/19/24 7:13 p.m.

long time, no update....

Sometimes part of the job is fitting a manifold.   This dual DCOE manifold for Toyota's 3TC engine could have been made better.

As you see, the edge of the port is actually beyond the gasket on these 2 ports.....

So I had no other choice - weld it, and reshape it

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/20/24 7:41 p.m.

New seats for a big valve head

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
4/20/24 10:33 p.m.

I feel this little guys looking at me. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/24 12:26 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

20V Silvertop 

How much do these flow compared to the 16V heads?  To my barely trained eyes, a lot of the curtain area is shrouded by the cylinder walls and the adjacent valves.

It does do a nice job of shading the combustion chamber to the exhaust side of the head, at least, so more of the unburned gases are towards the intake side for another chance to be lit off.  If you're going to have residuals, may as well be burnable ones instead of waste gases.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/25/24 12:19 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
oldeskewltoy said:

20V Silvertop 

How much do these flow compared to the 16V heads?  To my barely trained eyes, a lot of the curtain area is shrouded by the cylinder walls and the adjacent valves.

interestingly...  low lifts there is significantly more flow, as lifts rise the advantage becomes less.  A big valve 16V head flows considerably more.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
4/30/24 7:37 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

New seats for a big valve head

Big valve head removes so many original flaws....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
5/2/24 12:28 p.m.

Bowls 7(on right) and 8 in chamber 4 as bowl 7 transitions between standard, and big valve.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
6/13/24 8:20 p.m.

Not Toyota, not import, not even aluminum - working another oddball, a early/mid 90s 4.0 liter Jeep head..  client does not have a lot of money, but wanted some improvement with his Jeep Cherokee. 

After going through and checking, I found 1) some very poor bowl/seat alignment, 2) intake throats at 86%, while exhaust throats were a rather small 78%.  Additionally the roof of the exhaust port bends down at the base of the guide boss, and is .050" lower at port exit .  Oh, 2 of the 6 port outlets are "D" shaped, that is why the somewhat odd looking exhaust ports

more to come...... smiley

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam HalfDork
6/13/24 11:21 p.m.

I've done a couple of 4.0 before. Nothing about them is "ideal" but pretty big gains can be made. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
6/14/24 9:00 a.m.

Building a car for endurance racing, have to switch headers back to stock manifolds to get within my class competitive points.

Port the stock manifolds prior to putting them on?

Car is a 2006 Mustang 4.6L V8. Cast iron log manifold. 

All advice is greatly appreciated.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
6/14/24 9:35 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

Building a car for endurance racing, have to switch headers back to stock manifolds to get within my class competitive points.

Port the stock manifolds prior to putting them on?

Car is a 2006 Mustang 4.6L V8. Cast iron log manifold. 

All advice is greatly appreciated.

If budget allows... Extrude Hone will remove casting imperfections,  and open the passages some.  

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
6/14/24 7:46 p.m.

Now working the intake side, aligning the bowl and port, rebuilding the short radius, and shrinking the guide boss

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
7/4/24 3:19 p.m.

doing some reading.........

wink

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
7/4/24 4:42 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy :

They are stripping and cleaning  the head early next week. You should see it soon

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/4/24 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

I'm excited to see how this project comes together! 😁

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
7/15/24 12:00 p.m.

in the mean time........

smallport 4AG - fixing the short radius....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/4/24 12:24 p.m.

Here is the clean Alfa twin spark head.    A few pointers - First, you can see the "crowding" on all of the exhaust ports, especially from 9 to 12,  and from 12 to 3 o'clock position - its worse inside the bowls.  Second, take note of the intake flange (its water cooled)  the cut away from the book doesn't seem to show 

The book diagram, AND head cut away

More to come..... wink

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
9/4/24 3:40 p.m.

awesome

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/5/24 2:41 p.m.

Some new equipment required....

The new sanding rolls are the 1/2" on the left.   

Running bigger valves require larger seats.  After the old seats are pulled....

now fitted with larger seats.  Can you see the edges of the significant flaws in intake bowls 2 and 4??

more to come... smiley

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/6/24 12:33 p.m.

So port work begins...  1 on the right.....

Same 2 ports/bowls,  different angle

As I mentioned above..., "can see the "crowding" on all of the exhaust ports, especially from 9 to 12,  and from 12 to 3 o'clock position - its worse inside the bowls."   Lets take a quick look

The bowl casting gets very tight right where you need the most room, getting past the guide and valve stem.  The bottom view in the above 2 panel only shows the improvement by removing the obstruction, the bowl, and seat get larger as porting on this exhaust port proceeds.

One down....

more to come... 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/9/24 3:21 p.m.

And here is another example of the crowding on the exhaust side

So, a bit of discovery.....   While I've encountered port/bowl flaws in the past, none quite reach this level.   Bowls 1 and 3 while poorly aligned aren't anywhere near as misaligned as port/bowls 2 and 4.

This is how bad the alignment actually is

Intake bowl 4 before, and after

1 ... 11 12 13 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1mbn78YYe0WlCw0cSnjpMVolTbZNYcnLqhg4bp80xi6Bk5U820fq19SC8gKp6FMG