1 2 3
csbassplayer2003
csbassplayer2003 New Reader
8/24/11 10:28 p.m.

After looking into the personal living scenario, as much as I'd like to, I will most likely NOT be able to get 2 cars (one DD one fun) when I am ready to go shopping for something to replace my aging LHS. Therefore I need to cull my list of potentially desired vehicles (and thats hard to do as a car guy).

Needs: A fun car that can pull DD duty as well. I commute 35-40 minutes to work. Mostly highway except for the last 10 minutes. I live in Illinois so I see all weather types. Has to be reliable enough for daily driving, but yet still fun and have some creature comforts (I haven't had A/C in 10 years, its time). I have owned a DSM and a T/A in the past. Both had their charms. I don't haul much other than a bowling bag once and a while (or other bags of comparable size) and rarely have more than 1 passenger. I don't race currently as the local track has closed down, but I do enjoy my driving.

Budget: Low 20s.

Currently researched and considered in that price range:

07-08 BMW 335i, 08 135i, Any of the E46 M3s, 03 Boxster S, 05-06 Boxster, 2011 Mustang V6, 07+ Civic Si, 99-03 996, Any 993, Audi A4, 05-06 MB SLK 280/350, 08 350z, 07 G35

Help me cull this list a bit. I have driven/test driven the Si,Mustang, 350z and they would all work well for my purposes. Does anyone have input on any of the other cars on this list or have suggestions? I know a lot of these cars would fetch a premium for parts should they be needed, but provided they are reliable enough and provide enough enjoyment I could justify it as the cost of my enjoyment.

TL;DR Clever topic title is "help me find a fun car that works as a DD as well" in disguise.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/11 10:32 p.m.

What sort of 'fun' would you want to indulge in? Auto-X? Track driving? That would give us a few ideas in which direction we should point you.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/24/11 10:59 p.m.

if you are looking at the Boxster.. why not add the Z4 to the list as well? The tintop was a pretty car (before the current fold away hardtop)

BMW parts are not all that expensive.. it is the labour that kills you

csbassplayer2003
8/24/11 11:40 p.m.

I considered the Z4, but most of the reviews I read said that up until the newest model that got the fold away hard top it was inferior to the Boxster in almost every respect. I'll probably test drive one just to see. I am not wild about the idea of a ragtop as my only car, but if it is fun enough and works I'm not opposed to it (though I would source a hard top ASAP). My parents have a Sebring and the top is all sorts of messed up due to the weather here over the years. Replacing the top on a premium type car is not a nightmare I want to live through.

I'll also display my BMW ignorance by asking if they are workable at home or have they gotten to the point as to where they need specialized equipment to do basic work. I don't mind doing labor, its more a question of "can i?". I realize that any German/European type car is going to have a premium attached to any labor.

As for fun, for now it is going to have to be confined to driving scenic routes and carving up back roads. I would like to get into Auto X, just not sure that it is in the cars at the moment. And as much as track racing would be nice, the local one closed down. The next nearest is a LONG ways away.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/24/11 11:48 p.m.

Would you consider a Miata? If you say yes, I'll make the case for living with one in the Chicago suburbs/central Illinois as my only car.

Where in Illinois do you live?

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/24/11 11:54 p.m.

Actually, at that budget, screw the Miata and go S2000.

If those are not practical enough, I'd start looking at the various BMW's and Subaru's if you are into AWD.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
8/25/11 12:35 a.m.
csbassplayer2003 wrote: Replacing the top on a premium type car is not a nightmare I want to live through.

Solution. Get a premium top on a normal car.

csbassplayer2003
8/25/11 1:54 a.m.

The S2000 was a consideration at one point. I do like that car, however I wasn't sure I'd like it as a daily driver. I'd need a hard top and the cab space leaves something to be desired. The Miata wouldn't be bad but again same deal, I'm hesitant to consider cars with smaller cabins. I've sat in an SLK (newer) and the 350z I've test driven and either of those had about the right amount of space. To be honest at the STL auto show back in 2009, it was the first time I had sat in a Miata I actually could fit in with the top up. I'll give both another look over as a Miata I could get pretty new and not break the bank, plus it has a hard top option.

I live in St. Clair county in Illinois. Just across the river from STL.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/25/11 4:55 a.m.

Your list of cars doesn't tip off much. I don't think there is very much similar about the driving experience of as SI, a Mustang, and a 350Z.

You've mentioned creature comforts, street driving prowess, a bit of utility, and interior cabin space. Test drive a MINI.

You can get a pretty good one in your price range. You'll be very pleasantly surprised by the cabin space and creature comforts.

They handle like they are on rails, have a hatch and some utility, are enormously spacious (in the driver's seat), and have a more upright seating position with a very nice interior trim level. They are like a grown up go cart.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/25/11 7:14 a.m.
csbassplayer2003 wrote: Budget: Low 20s.

I have four vehicles and thats nearly my salary. If you're willing to get greasy you can have some fun cars. I'm in StL, so the weather isn't too different. I just drive the truck in rough weather. Their all low budget, but that doesn't mean their no fun to drive.

I'm not trying to talk you out of those cars, just sharing how I do it.

bequietanddrive
bequietanddrive New Reader
8/25/11 7:56 a.m.

2009 and up VW GTI?

Checks off all of your boxes. Generally reliable, but still has a warranty if you do need it. Just my two cents.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
8/25/11 8:23 a.m.

For $20K you can get both a 986 Boxster S and a high-mileage Civic, Corolla, etc. to commute in. For even better mileage, try an older Golf/Jetta TDi commuter - though I'm hesitant to recommend owning two German cars at the same time

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/11 8:23 a.m.

I would vote for some form of BMW 3-Series. Even the base models are a hoot to drive, and they are more practical than pure sports cars, and you can go 2 or 4 door. You can step up the price ladder all the way to an M3 as money allows.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/11 8:32 a.m.

when I was saying Z4.. I was thinking the hardtop/hatchback/fastback/coupe

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/25/11 9:31 a.m.

You mentioned the E46, Id say look into E36 M3s, I prefer the styling and Im pretty sure the consensus is its more of a drivers car than the E46, but I may be wrong. I think the newer mustangs would be a great choice too. A coworker of mine has owned 2 350Zs and now a 370...he says hes going to stick with new Z cars for as long as Nissan will keep making them. He preferred the rawness of the 350 to the more powerful, but more plushier 370. Thought I would toss that out there. Personally, Id love a 07 G35 - I think theyre drop dead sexy and also a good balance between driver comforts and performance (based solely on the 1 time I ever drove one). Id shy away from P-cars as a daily simply due to the cost of maintenance, and probably toss Audis in that camp too. Ive never been a Honda guy, so for me, thats out.

No one has mentioned Lexus IS 300 - or hell, just find a (now becoming more rare) non-hooned MKIV Supra.

'Vette..nuff said

RWD is obviously less desirable in the snowy north though.

A few FWD offerings Id look at are:

Pontiac G8 (though finding the V8 only manual trans models for $20k may prove a little tougher)

Scion TC - start at $19 new, so you get a full warranty and TRD options

Cobalt SS/Ion Redline

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/25/11 9:34 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: RWD is obviously less desirable in the snowy north though. A few FWD offerings Id look at are: Pontiac G8 (though finding the V8 only manual trans models for $20k may prove a little tougher)

G8 is RWD.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/25/11 9:44 a.m.
csbassplayer2003 wrote: The S2000 was a consideration at one point. I do like that car, however I wasn't sure I'd like it as a daily driver. I'd need a hard top and the cab space leaves something to be desired. The Miata wouldn't be bad but again same deal, I'm hesitant to consider cars with smaller cabins. I've sat in an SLK (newer) and the 350z I've test driven and either of those had about the right amount of space. To be honest at the STL auto show back in 2009, it was the first time I had sat in a Miata I actually could fit in with the top up. I'll give both another look over as a Miata I could get pretty new and not break the bank, plus it has a hard top option. I live in St. Clair county in Illinois. Just across the river from STL.

I DD a Miata in Bloomington/Normal and the northern Chicago suburbs year round. It can easily be done.

You say that

csbassplayer2003 wrote: I don't haul much other than a bowling bag once and a while (or other bags of comparable size) and rarely have more than 1 passenger.
, so if you fit in the cabin, you'll have space. My Miata has 76xxx miles and has been through 4 Chicago winters and is still on it its original soft top. No leaks. We did get the hardtop last year because it makes highway travel so much better, and we just aren't going to be taking the top down anyways. I imagine the same arguments would hold for an S2000.

That being said, if you feel claustrophobic, then it probably isn't a good idea. Then I'd be looking real hard at the 350/370z and Z3/Z4 hardtops.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
8/25/11 9:46 a.m.

What about an Evo?

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
8/25/11 9:47 a.m.
mtn wrote:
csbassplayer2003 wrote: The S2000 was a consideration at one point. I do like that car, however I wasn't sure I'd like it as a daily driver. I'd need a hard top and the cab space leaves something to be desired. The Miata wouldn't be bad but again same deal, I'm hesitant to consider cars with smaller cabins. I've sat in an SLK (newer) and the 350z I've test driven and either of those had about the right amount of space. To be honest at the STL auto show back in 2009, it was the first time I had sat in a Miata I actually could fit in with the top up. I'll give both another look over as a Miata I could get pretty new and not break the bank, plus it has a hard top option. I live in St. Clair county in Illinois. Just across the river from STL.
I DD a Miata in Bloomington/Normal and the northern Chicago suburbs year round. It can easily be done.

I DDed RWD cars in far far snowier climates than that with no real issues. It's easy.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Dork
8/25/11 9:50 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Snow here can get rough, but a miat Miata wouldn't really be a problem.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/25/11 9:57 a.m.

If fwd hatches are on the table, I'd have a hard time passing up an MS3.

I love S2000's, but I agree that the interior is a wee bit cramped - even compared to my mk1 mr2. The last BMW Z-car I was in felt the same way.

On the used rwd "sports car" market, I'd probably look the closest at a 350Z, as it pretty much meets all your requirements. However, you don't necessarily need $20K+ for one of those. Buying new, I'd lean towards the '11 Mustangs. They just seem like an incredible value, especially now that they've sorted the suspension (I grew up around fox bodys, and they engendered a loathing within me).

I'll also agree that $20K is plenty for a decent DD and a fun car. You'll just do more wrenching than newer car, most likely with a warranty. However, I understand that things like available space, registration, insurance costs, increased maintenance, swmbo, etc. can make having a second one in the stable less desirable.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/25/11 10:00 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I DDed RWD cars in far far snowier climates than that with no real issues. It's easy.

The issue with these cars isn't really the RWD, but the lack of clearance.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
8/25/11 10:00 a.m.

A new Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Fits the budget and you get a stellar warranty to boot.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/11 10:20 a.m.

miata with hardtop and two spare sets of rims. one set wears winter tires, one set wears autocross tires.

or C5 with same spares.

or E46 with same spares.

csbassplayer2003
8/25/11 10:51 a.m.

I have test driven an Mini cooper S actually and I agree they are great cars, fun to drive, peppy, and even I fit quick comfortably in one. If I didn't feel a tad foolish getting out of it I probably would have bought one already. I have also test driven the Genesis coupe. Fun car, the only problem is that I feel that the 2.0t model is underpowered compared to the V6, and the V6 is out of my price range, and more expensive than the Mustang which beats it in everything but styling (IMHO).

The 2 car option while preferable wont work as I don't have a place to park 2 cars. FWD hatches aren't out of the running. I have looked into a GTI and MS3, I guess I'll have to add more to the list.

I have driven RWD in the snow, its not TERRIBLE, the thing I am more worried about (as someone stated) is clearance, but it seems other have made it work so its not an automatic cross off.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b0O9KX126FlrIuJWoEt5TkoPUkrML4CGctbNdccPMOTBko4vbH50K71ogz1Zxyar