1 2 3 4 5 6
Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/9/15 2:32 p.m.

Cross shop a Toyota MR-2 Spyder with a base Boxster to feel better about the performance per dollar value. The base Boxster is really a bargain right now, it's probably the one that the magazine should buy since it would resonate with more readers.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/9/15 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

I agree. I'm not that "into" Boxsters to fly to Cali to find the perfect car, but a basic early model that looks halfway decent for $6-8 grand sure gets my interest.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/9/15 2:53 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Cross shop a Sarah Jessica Parker with a Natalie Portman

Fixed it for you. Which would you want to wake up to each morning, err find in your garage err, you know what I mean. No matter how good the 'performance' one is in no way equal to the other.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
4/9/15 6:51 p.m.

Is the Spyder Natalie Portman or SJP? I happen to think the Spyder is a cool looking car, utter lack of storage space kills it for me. Lack of power doesn't help either.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/15 7:46 p.m.

I think he means the Toyota is SJP, but I beg to differ on the Boxster=Natalie Portman. The Boxster is a nice-looking car, but it's nothing special, styling-wise. Call it Kristen Stewart.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
4/9/15 8:58 p.m.

The spyder is way more formidable than it gets credit for. Bang for the buck it decimates the boxster once you do a couple grand worth of mods. Compare a $12-15k spyder with a 12-15k boxster, and you'll see a stock car with a new ins bearing and some other issues resolved temporarily and a car is a track weapon. I'm not saying boxters aren't cool, I actually like them a lot. I think a well modded one would be a really unique and potent car. But the bang for the buck comparison isn't fair because purchase rice isn't the only consideration, maintenance and cost of performance extraction are major factors. Apples and hand grenades.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/9/15 11:48 p.m.

Sometimes I like to bring a pack of gum with me so the MR-2 is out, but I do like the way they drive. I have an LS1 laying in the garage but am not smart enough, rich enough or patient enough to put it in a Boxster.

Adrian_Thompson
4/10/15 8:30 a.m.

The thing is I've never ever looked an an MRS and thought I want one. I look at it and think, 'man, couldn't they have at least tried to make it look not butt ugly'. I have no doubt it's an amazing car. I drove one once and it was great, but it holds zero interest for me unless you add an RS200 body kit and put a Ford engine in the back. The Boxster is a car that made an immediate impression on my the day it was launched like few other cars before or since. To me it's what a Porsche should be, the only cars I've had more initial want for are a 051, the Cayman S, Aston Vantage, Shelby GT350 and the Volvo C30. I went out and bought the C30 and have never ever regretted it. The Boxster is a bucket list car, the MRS is a wasted opportunity. Also as Tim pointed out, it's useless as a real car. This will be a car I drive daily, hopefully I"ll drive accross country with the wife, go camping in etc.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/10/15 9:55 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: I think I will keep looking and driving a few different cars and yes, I remember the comparison test. I wrote it.

So, basically what you're telling us is that you drove every Boxster in existence, did a thorough analysis of all their attributes and wrote up a comparison test and you still can't figure out which one to buy.

Harvey
4/10/15 10:02 a.m.

The MRS is ugly, top up or down. Drives great.

I have 26 Boxster results on Autotrader within 25 miles. Living in Fairfield County CT has some advantages I guess.

Adrian_Thompson
4/10/15 10:05 a.m.
Harvey wrote:
Tim Suddard wrote: I think I will keep looking and driving a few different cars and yes, I remember the comparison test. I wrote it.
So, basically what you're telling us is that you drove every Boxster in existence, did a thorough analysis of all their attributes and wrote up a comparison test and you still can't figure out which one to buy.

Love it. Why do we buy the mag again?

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/10/15 1:33 p.m.

Harvey, the choice is easy... Just buy a new one. But then money comes into play and the choice gets a bit more difficult.

And then time changes things too. When I wrote that story, a second generation car was still very expensive. Now it is not.

And don't be a dick. Remember, I know where you live.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/10/15 4:31 p.m.

Just went and drove a 2001 standard Boxster with 73,000 miles on it. Silver and black and available locally for $10,500, before negotiation. Pluses: The car drives like new. Certainly quicker (much) than my NA Miata. Power top worked great. Car looks and drives like new except for a couple of scuffs in the interior. Electronic throttle was not noticeable, so maybe I have gotten used to them, as all cars have them now. Seemed reasonably priced, but not a screaming deal. Negatives: I think I will not be happy knowing for another $1000 or 2000, and S is out there. There seemed to be a lot of back support (too much for me) that was not adjustable. I fit in this car, but just barely. There was an odd, but noticeable vibration only when lifting off the throttle. It did not feel like a tire problem. And someone had installed a cheap Pioneer radio, instead of the original cassette player. Did cassette players still exist in 2001?

Harvey
4/10/15 7:02 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Harvey, the choice is easy... Just buy a new one. But then money comes into play and the choice gets a bit more difficult. And then time changes things too. When I wrote that story, a second generation car was still very expensive. Now it is not. And don't be a dick. Remember, I know where you live.

LOL, it was too easy a setup, I couldn't resist. Only messing. I have the same problem as the years go by and I contemplate buying a used Corvette. At first the C5 Z06 was the obvious choice, then the prices started coming down to where the C6 Z51 was tempting and now the C6 Z06 is in range.

Harvey
4/10/15 7:07 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Just went and drove a 2001 standard Boxster with 73,000 miles on it. Silver and black and available locally for $10,500, before negotiation. Pluses: The car drives like new. Certainly quicker (much) than my NA Miata. Power top worked great. Car looks and drives like new except for a couple of scuffs in the interior. Electronic throttle was not noticeable, so maybe I have gotten used to them, as all cars have them now. Seemed reasonably priced, but not a screaming deal. Negatives: I think I will not be happy knowing for another $1000 or 2000, and S is out there. There seemed to be a lot of back support (too much for me) that was not adjustable. I fit in this car, but just barely. There was an odd, but noticeable vibration only when lifting off the throttle. It did not feel like a tire problem. And someone had installed a cheap Pioneer radio, instead of the original cassette player. Did cassette players still exist in 2001?

Cassette in 2001? Maybe? 1997 was still rocking them in my 540i. It's actually not a horrible way to use your iPod since after they got rid of cassettes they didn't start adding aux jacks for a while.

I say get the S of whatever version you get unless you get some screaming deal on the regular one. If you get a price deal it will offset the inevitable regret of not having the power.

Was it your article that pointed out that the high option used Boxsters pretty much go for the same amount that the low option ones go for because every option is pretty much a la carte?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/10/15 8:42 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: And don't be a dick. Remember, I know where you live.

But your 55, can you figure out the computer system to extract the relevant info?

Just being a dick for humor, please don't show up at my door and nut-kick me when I go to work in the morning...

secretariata
4/10/15 8:44 p.m.

Our 2000 Celica had a cassette and a CD, but Japan = double DIN.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/10/15 9:11 p.m.

I vote for S. My MR2 Turbo will still outrun it but at least you'll have a fighting chance.

The best way to make a car perform is to buy the best performing car to start with. 2.7 liters =/= 3.2 liters. Pretty simple math. The bang-for-the-buck prices seem to be with the S, anyway, and my guess is it'll be worth even more when it comes time to sell.

I say you find a good S, put hardtop on it and do one of the most effective IMS fixes you can find. If we get a Boxster and DON'T write about potential IMS fixes they'll storm the gates with torches, anyway.

secretariata
4/10/15 9:32 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: If we get a Boxster and DON'T write about potential IMS fixes they'll storm the gates with torches, anyway.

Witch Hunt by Rush is cued up just in case...

etifosi
etifosi HalfDork
4/10/15 9:33 p.m.

I was going to post to say you should get one of each - one to street and one to track.

Then my phone changed a search for "his & hers porsches" to "hos & herrs porsches"!

AutoCorrect must make the nsa's job more interesting.

ninjacoco
ninjacoco New Reader
4/10/15 10:11 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I thought you already had a mid life crisis Porsche? Are you telling me that it's acceptable to have TWO mid life crisis Porsches? This changes everything.

If buying a Porsche is because of a crisis, I'm in a permanent state of emergency over here. I need more Porsches in my life. Always. Can't have too many.

MORE PORSCHES!

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
4/10/15 10:41 p.m.

Having driven every version of Boxster by virtue of instructing at PCA track days I really do not think there is a bad one. I recently spent a few laps in a Spec Boxster albeit in the right seat and that made me like them even more. I like the Cayman more but with either car the one thing that keeps me away is the IMS bearing. As for comfort, at 5' 7" and 140lbs, I can't comment as to which is best. I will chime in on get an S if you can. For Tim I think a non S will be a bit of a disappointment. Waiting anxiously to see what you do.........

Tom
BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/15 2:25 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Harvey, the choice is easy... Just buy a new one. But then money comes into play and the choice gets a bit more difficult. And then time changes things too. When I wrote that story, a second generation car was still very expensive. Now it is not.

Just check my advice at the end of the article. The 987S is where you want to be.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/11/15 5:31 p.m.

I was thinking about a used Boxter or Cayman. I'm 6'3" and 200lbs. I have tried 986 and 987 chassis cars and I can't seem to find a comfortable driving position in them. I think I just too big.

Do the 996's have more space in them?

M030
M030 Dork
4/12/15 7:12 a.m.

In reply to Type Q:

996s do have more space in them but they are not mid engined and therefore far less awesome

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSiWpV38BefjXYeZKMD75hOnQ1tZPwEmhgnZsBZUG0waPO8wVrbYoGPW0XfBtq4F