1 ... 3 4 5 6
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/15/15 4:50 p.m.

Ahh the responsibility I have and the hateful things I have to do to keep you guys happy. Mine is a life of pain and misery.

Perhaps the coolest thing about all the response to this thread is that initially, Margie thought I was just angling for another car, and now she is onboard.

Let me get some garage space (spellt money) and I will take this bullet for you and get a Boxster.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
4/15/15 11:08 p.m.

Tim first thank you for taking one for the team. Now as for the labor pool I was going to say your daughter, sadly, will likely marry a car guy, he won't paint the house either so she might as well learn now and then you mentioned cryptonite "two story". I've done 150 on a TZ250 around Willow Springs, 130mph tank slapper on my 125 at Riverside, had the D-Sports Racer catch fire while diving down into a corner at around 135 at Spring Mountain Motorsports and have never given any of it a second thought BUT there is no way I'm getting up on a ladder two stories in the air.........I'm absolutely terrified of heights. So do what you gotta do, even if it means putting on one of Margie's best dresses and heading down to the red light district to earn the cash...........just make sure you get the S, you'll get over doing unspeakable acts for money but not buying an S will haunt you forever.

Tom
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/16/15 7:47 a.m.

Tom, funny stuff!

And my daughter does have a serious boy friend and he is working for us this summer. We will be building his first car together... A Miata

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/16/15 8:08 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Tom, funny stuff! And my daughter does have a serious boy friend and he is working for us this summer. We will be building his first car together... A Miata

The poor girl, she's been worn down by a lifetime of car insanity. Are you sure he's not just using her as a way to get to you and the cars?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/16/15 9:55 a.m.

Yes, the evolution of Grassroots has now progressed to include the modern Porsche. WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is an important part of any transaction. Now that the WAF has been raised to a high level we readers will now bask in the glory of the hopefully Boxster with S build.

Tim Suddard wrote: We will be building his first car together... A Miata

Smart move Tim's daughter's boyfriend.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/16/15 8:18 p.m.

This thread is heading somewhere else, but I have two kids... One has made it his life's mission to work at the magazine. One has early on, repeatedly said she wanted nothing to do with it but now realizes she has skills the magazine needs and realizes it might be a better job than acting for a living. We will see where this leads.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/15 9:49 p.m.

Since you've mentioned both making room in the garage and making payments, I have a couple of suggestions.

First, this is the kind of car purchase where you should seriously consider spending a little more and buying at Carmax, along with the biggest warranty they offer. Let them worry about the engine.

Or, you could go almost all out and buy a Porsche CPO car. The company has an outstanding track record of taking care of their CPO customers, especially if you "invest" in an oil change or two at the dealership. Think about it.

Or...you might find someone who has (gasp!) gotten bored with their well loved Porsche and wants to trade it for one of the beautiful, fully documented classics that you no longer need. Trade bait can be a powerful thing.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
4/16/15 11:32 p.m.

Wait wait its come to me.................Tim's daughter as the new host of Top Gear will take a do several spots on the father/daughter Boxster Challange driving on America's most legendary tracks. She'll also produce a large portion of the spots for the inevitable transition to a role behind the camera........naturally this feature will play out over two seasons and in the end Tim will simply buy the car from the production company at a highly reduced rate.

Tom, family planner at large............
Pbw
Pbw New Reader
4/17/15 9:27 p.m.
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/19/15 6:13 a.m.

One that looks like a pretty good deal! Tom1200 we shall see how it all plays out, but I like your scenario

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/19/15 6:24 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Woody - thoughts about this car?

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=11345986&AVi=10&No=0&Rp=R&D=50&zip=19021&N=4294962905&Q=ef595fa4-224e-4b17-b226-2999e672ebf4&Ep=search:results:results%20page

Adrian_Thompson
4/19/15 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

At least on a mobile device no where does it say the year!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/19/15 9:22 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: In reply to Ian F: At least on a mobile device no where does it say the year!

It's a 2006.

Woody
4/19/15 9:28 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to Woody: Woody - thoughts about this car? http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?id=11345986&AVi=10&No=0&Rp=R&D=50&zip=19021&N=4294962905&Q=ef595fa4-224e-4b17-b226-2999e672ebf4&Ep=search:results:results%20page

That looks nice. I have heard that 19 inch wheels without PASM can be a tough combo to live with on the street though, and that's how this one is equipped.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
4/19/15 9:43 a.m.
Pbw wrote: http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4983930770.html Super Cheap

Please stop listing stupid cheap cars that are a half hour from me. Thanks.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/20/15 6:56 a.m.

Ian, that looks like a lot of car for Camry money! That grey is actually a cool color too.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/20/15 11:14 a.m.

Has IMS done already, S and 6spd. $10,300. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4985569884.html

Adrian_Thompson
4/20/15 12:14 p.m.
yupididit wrote: Has IMS done already, S and 6spd. $10,300. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/4985569884.html

That is hitting all the right boxes

Woody
4/20/15 3:30 p.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: That grey is actually a cool color too.

My Cayman is the same color. It's called Seal Gray.

photo 1983911SCProgress024.jpg

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/20/15 3:36 p.m.
Woody wrote:
Tim Suddard wrote: Ian, that looks like a lot of car for Camry money! That grey is actually a cool color too.
My Cayman is the same color. It's called Seal Gray.  photo 1983911SCProgress024.jpg

I keep waiting for you to offhandedly mention that you're thinking of selling it.

Woody
4/20/15 3:55 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Woody wrote:
Tim Suddard wrote: Ian, that looks like a lot of car for Camry money! That grey is actually a cool color too.
My Cayman is the same color. It's called Seal Gray.
I keep waiting for you to offhandedly mention that you're thinking of selling it.

I really, really like this car, although I admit that the idea crossed my mind last year when I was thinking about a new one with a PDK.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/20/15 6:06 p.m.

I have to agree Woody, that is a great looking car and probably my favorite car period right now.

Woody
4/20/15 9:15 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600 and Mazduece:

Thanks. That's an old photo though, so it looks a little different now. I got rid of those wheels and tires. They were aftermarket wheels with winter tires. I sold them and bought a couple of sets of 911 wheels. I also swapped the Cayman side vents for Boxster ones.

photo Cayman012_zps814cb348.jpg

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
4/21/15 12:11 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Sometimes I like to bring a pack of gum with me so the MR-2 is out, but I do like the way they drive. I have an LS1 laying in the garage but am not smart enough, rich enough or patient enough to put it in a Boxster.

LS1 you say, LS1 Miata? Miata is always the answer, again

Paint the house yourself, Get an S, do the IMS upgrade right off, do all the maint while at it, I think you are supposed to do the clutch concurrently, Wayne Dempsey maybe has a book about it, would probably give you it if you got your stuff from him, which you might do even if he does not give you the book I suppose. Hopefully you have a lift, what am I saying, of course you do. I always wanted an early Boxter with a full boogie 911 motor, but I liked the 550 kit car thing I saw a few pages back too.

How is the air conditioning in a Boxster? I never drove one with the top up. Maybe go buy that black one in Long Beach and drive it home. That would be an epic road trip.

I ended up getting the vanish into the asphalt shade of grey Mazdaspeed Miata instead of the 2001 Boxster. The wife could not believe I did not get the yellow Porsche, very disappointed. I already have a 914, so I kind of already have that itch scratched, so to speak. She does not really care for that car. It is loud, uncomfortable and has no air conditioning. The fact that it is orange is apparently the straw that broke the camel's back. I guess the moral of the story is, if you want a mid-engine Porsche that your wife won't want to drive, go with the orange 914

Adrian_Thompson
4/21/15 6:44 a.m.

In reply to Toebra:

Tim's BTDT on the 914 a few years ago. Long restoration and build documented in the mag. I'm seem to recall the engine had to be done twice. Also Margie isn't your typical non car wife. Has she ever forgiven you for selling the old 5 series?

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OB5pDULQ3INOQ1cBB91Psmuv2abuLro6qjMkmq3OM1egAotwFYWqu6DXq7N336zg