1 2 3
Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/15/24 9:13 p.m.
pirate said:

I save hotel key cards from travel for making templates, scrapers, or throwaway putty knifes for spreading epoxy.

A sturdy workbench ( homemade or purchased) with a quality 4 inch plus vise preferably older the you are.

12" disc sander or 4" plus bench top belt sander. 

bench top or preferably freestanding drill press

Portable bandsaw with SWAG table if you can't afford or have the room for a full size metal cutting bandsaw.

I have one and cannot believe how much I use it. I'd use it to open a letter. (Seinfeld meat slicer reference)

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
6/15/24 9:23 p.m.
dclafleur said:
Evanuel9 said:

Is an electric impact worth it over just using wrenches and ratchets? I've got a full wrench and socket set, jack and stands, and various screwdrivers, but that's about it right now. Plan to get a torque wrench, code reader, and a multimeter. Definitely want to do my own work when I get my car, but I'm not entirely sure if an impact is worth it, or if I should spend my money on other stuff. 

An impact is a workflow improvement. It isn't a must have to do most things but it makes some tasks easier. With the improvement in electrics I'd probably do a smaller form factor mid torque before I do a big impact. A good breaker bar does the same job a lot of time. 

Hey Evanuel- sounds like you might be a little bit new- I'd look at these postings as "after you get a full set of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" sockets and the very basic stuff." Electric impact driver and wrench are very nice, but a pipe and he 3/8 ratchet you already have are good enough to start. For starters I bought a craftsman 200 piece socket set with a plastic case for about $200 and I used it for 15 years before meaningfully adding to it. You will figure out what you need as you work, and then--- Harbor Freight makes pretty good tools now. I don't know if you have a budget, but they are a pretty good place to start. If you find yourself using a particular tool, and the HF isn't meeting the quality requirements, then buy a "nice" version. And HF even makes those now with their Icon brand. I'm no HF shill, but after the craftsman, I bought a bunch of stuff from them because I didn't have much $$.

Anyway, back to normal programming. One of my favorites is my Lincoln SP140+ welder. I don't know how people do without welders. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/16/24 9:59 a.m.

Vice on a sturdy base or work bench.

Extension cords. Enough to reach every spot in the sho as well as outside the doors.

**** bench grinder with a wire wheel installed. Cleans threads, removes rust, smoother edges, etc....

Lots of light both permenantly mounted overhead and portable.

Shelving to store stuff off the ground and free up more space for more junk, I mean stuff.

Zip-lock bags to aid in organization, disassembly, reinstallation of just about anything you take apart.

Q-tips to clean small items or inside threads(watch out for the fuzz and remove stuff from in your eye.

Poster board to make templates and graph paper to make measured templates.

Magnifying glass and tweezers to see fine items and remove metal slivers from your hands.

A magnifying mirror to look into your eye to remove the specks of rust or other foreign objects that find their way.

Sharpie markers!

measuring devices, straight edges, square, level, angle finder

There are a lot of little items that one finds useful over the years but there are certain items that are universally thought of as "must haves" for most shops.

Dragonbreath
Dragonbreath New Reader
9/14/24 4:12 p.m.

A Mechanic's Stethoscope.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cEUcE2EROJqXK7EBK7V1o0rDknEFXLUH2pqf6LjyITEwTpCycHYoEdjtmHdVWQJD