1 2
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/5/17 11:38 p.m.

As far as a "What-if?" question, this is up there, but I figure it will be an interesting game.

Let's say you have a friend who's made his money, and the majority of his children will have moved out soon. He's at that age where he can both afford and enjoy a fast, attractive car, but he has specific requirements.

• It must be a reasonably good daily. He drives about 35,000 miles every year, so the car must be decently comfortable and have enough space for an overnight bag or two.

• It has to retail for under $115k before taxes.

• Speed and driver connection is mandatory. He's become bored of his 300+ horsepower sports sedan with a 0-60 of around 5 seconds to the point where it feels slow.

• You have to be able to drive it year-round in the Canadian winter. Be it snow tires or AWD (I know you should have snow tires regardless, but it's a rather mild Canadian winter he's in).

• It has to be new for tax, warranty, and maintenance reasons.

• An airy feeling is preferable. Open top is best, then panoramic roof, then sunroof, then solid roof.

• It has to feel special and have an air of exclusivity to it. Otherwise, why spend $100k on a daily?

• He isn't afraid to be an early adopter, but expects top notch customer service.

Based on these criteria, I'd probably recommend the new Giulia Quadrifoglio. It's got four doors so it can still be seen as a "family" car, it's very exclusive indeed, both preliminary reviews and comparison tests are very favorable, and there's plenty of room in the budget to option it up and still purchase a set of winters. Although you don't get a sunroof, the beltline and cowl are surprisingly low, leading to an airy feeling.

What says GRM to this hypothetical query?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/17 11:41 p.m.

Tesla P100D or X100D.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/5/17 11:42 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

About $50k over budget up here .

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
2/6/17 12:06 a.m.

C63 amg? They seem impressive for the price.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 12:13 a.m.

Would a helcat scratch the itch?

The only other thing I can think of is a Audi S7 completely maxed out but I don't think it has the performance.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
2/6/17 12:19 a.m.

911 Targa 4 or Carrera 4 Cabriolet.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/6/17 12:34 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote: In reply to Javelin: About $50k over budget up here .

Yeah, but consider the fuel savings.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
2/6/17 1:23 a.m.

According to Jaguar's website you can spec a convertible F-type R just under $115,000 limit if you forgo the gratuitous $12k carbon brake package. Awd, special, fast, great noises, etc.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/17 1:49 a.m.

Audi S6 or S7. Add an APR chip, some downpipes & exhaust for 600 hp.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 3:05 a.m.

Range rover. The new Autobiography

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/6/17 5:45 a.m.

That sounds like a 911 to me.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/17 5:47 a.m.

Sounds like the Job for an M3 Sedan and a WRX STI or S4 for the winter. Why put a $115K car through the abuse of a Canadian winter?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/6/17 7:01 a.m.

It really depends on whether or not he wants a flashy car. There is a big difference between a big fast Audi and a Mustang GT350. Both would work, but would be purchased by VERY different people.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/6/17 7:06 a.m.

If he's made of money, surely he doesn't need to drive 35k miles/year.

That said, Audi + boost.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
2/6/17 7:06 a.m.

Go small: Lotus Exige, non-S, with all the street-friendly options.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/6/17 7:25 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: If he's made of money, surely he doesn't need to drive 35k miles/year. That said, Audi + boost.

Most people driving 100k cars as their dalies live very normal lives. Work 40+ hours a week. Have a mortgage.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
2/6/17 7:31 a.m.

It does sound like a 911 to me. The Alfa would be a lot of fun, different and pretty. I looked at an F-Type R last week, killing time in a showroom, and it's spectacular.

Just as addendum, I was kicking tires at our Fiat/Alfa dealer being sure the last 4C was still there (it is) and the salesman said the boss hadn't decided whether to even order any Giulias. I thought, Gee, that's the one that might actually sell.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
2/6/17 7:40 a.m.

Nissan GT-R.

nasaZach
nasaZach
2/6/17 7:46 a.m.

R35 GTR? I have a ton of miles in them. In all sorts of traffic. Easily a daily driver and stupid fast. The 2017 is right at your budget and the interior is much better than the earlier cars. Go for one a year or two old, and throw some mods at it. Under budget and will flat out get it.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/6/17 8:32 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: If he's made of money, surely he doesn't need to drive 35k miles/year....

He did say Canada

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
2/6/17 8:58 a.m.

Got to say it but 4-5 year old Bentley Continental V8 Convertible. Then buy a warranty.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/17 9:04 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Tesla P100D or X100D.

I was immediately thinking of a lower-end Tesla S, to stay within the budget. Eyeball-flattening acceleration, plenty of space and decent handling.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
2/6/17 10:28 a.m.

I would say F-Typr R, except that it will feel anything but airy with the to up.

The 911 Targa 4 seems to check the most boxes...Assuming that the $115k isn't a hard ceiling after options.

codrus
2/6/17 11:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Javelin wrote: Tesla P100D or X100D.
I was immediately thinking of a lower-end Tesla S, to stay within the budget. Eyeball-flattening acceleration, plenty of space and decent handling.

The Tesla needs careful examining. If the 35K miles a year is a 5-days-a-week 140-mile-round-trip commute, then maybe. If it's weekly 600 mile trips, no way. Even the long daily commute is going to be marginal when it gets cold, due to the loss of battery efficiency and heating the car with electricity. Charging at both ends? We're talking about Canada, right? Do they have SuperCharger stations there?

codrus
2/6/17 11:16 a.m.
Chadeux wrote: 911 Targa 4 or Carrera 4 Cabriolet.

Base MSRP on a C4 Cabriolet is $108,600. By the time you add sport seats and the torque vectoring you're over budget. You might be able to custom order a stripper like that, but most cars you find on dealer lots are going to be well-equipped.

A C2 Carrera starts at $89K, so is probably in budget with typical dealer-ordered options.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CCRAsUfpX72o80TRirE0iwC87IR3GqnKQfVbHYn49dqRCt8hF57dOI0rAxHeUcU3