1 2
markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/26/17 7:30 a.m.

And I'm talking sub 2k. Is that the new market rate? They've been one of those cars that interested me. What is the market and what to look out for?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/26/17 7:39 a.m.

No information, but I'm interested in learning.

...for a friend.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/26/17 9:04 a.m.

I had to look up EP3. Seems like a good starting point for something.

Look out for deadly airbags, I think?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
4/26/17 9:11 a.m.

What to look out for? Past owners!

NickD
NickD SuperDork
4/26/17 9:20 a.m.

Not well liked by the Honda community. They were the first Si to be slower than the outgoing model. Kinda on the hefty side. Polarizing styling. First Civic with MacPherson strut and there was something funky about the rear suspension (I know that to make one a serious autocrosser requires ludicrous rear spring rates, same with the RSX I believe). Had the 160hp K20A3 that the base RSX had, which only has i-VTEC on the intake camshaft and a really poor-flowing cylinder head, unlike the 200hp K20A2 out of the RSX Type S. On the plus side, they had a great shifter, tons of interior room and because they are the bastard child Si, they are pretty cheap.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/17 9:23 a.m.

I like these cars.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/26/17 10:01 a.m.

So, what's market range? 2k, 3k, 4k? I've seen prices all over the place. I know that they like to rust and don't like poor maintenance (like all Hondas).

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
4/26/17 10:10 a.m.

The problem with the ep3 (btw, sounds like a pregnancy test) is its dismal front and rear suspension travel. Not much room to do anything with it. You can do stuff with it now, that was just the gripe from tuners back then. And that gripe came because Honda had spoiled us and we all assumed great things were coming...little did we know....little did we know....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/26/17 10:20 a.m.

We had an EP3 project car back in the day. As others noted, the suspension was a challenge--no more of those great Honda double wishbones. Pluses? Good torque, great seats, very practical shape. Ours was a pre-production model (former SEMA Show car), and I don't remember it ever giving us any trouble.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/26/17 10:21 a.m.

I guess you could do type R mods that Europe got. But, again, what about real market value, and anything specific to this car to be careful about?

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/26/17 10:24 a.m.

Sellers in my market apparently did not get the memo. Also this is one of those cars where it seems 99% of them have salvage titles.

Did only the Si's got the hatchback body style in this generation?

David S. Wallens
4/26/17 10:26 a.m.

Yes, the hatchback was limited to the Si model.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
4/26/17 10:34 a.m.

This generation of civic in general has crashed in value the past couple years. I DD an EM2 (non-Si coupe with the dreaded d17, which is actually a perfectly fine motor) and with 160k on it is worth only about 1200. Compare that with an EK coupe I had a few years ago which I sold with 215K and ratty interior for 2.5.

Back on topic: EP3 seem to go for 2-3k last I checked. Hell of a good deal if you ask me. 99% of the time I don't think you'd notice the difference Macstruts and DWB on the street. Maybe on the track. Maybe.

David S. Wallens
4/26/17 10:37 a.m.

I've tracked the EP3 and RSX a bunch. In stock (or near-stock) form, it's fine. Now that I think about it, didn't David Whitener recently win a Street Touring Solo title in one?

David S. Wallens
4/26/17 10:39 a.m.

And speaking of the Acura RSX, under the skin it's very similar to the EP3. Not sure if that info helps you expand your search.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
4/26/17 11:04 a.m.

Just did a quick CL search and, indeed, a running, driving EP3 with light body damage seems to be under Challenge prices. RSX-S as well, but perhaps harder to find for cheap (or, as cheap, they're still like 3k).

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
4/26/17 11:19 a.m.

OK. Was shocked they were this cheap.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/26/17 11:23 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: ...for a friend.

Your jedi mind tricks are of no use here.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
4/26/17 11:27 a.m.
Robbie wrote:
tuna55 wrote: ...for a friend.
Your jedi mind tricks are of no use here.

This is not the nested quote you were looking for.

David S. Wallens
4/26/17 11:29 a.m.

You can find some of our EP3 project car updates here.

And, wow, I forgot that I took it drag racing:

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/26/17 11:40 a.m.

In reply to penultimeta:

I find the difference to be easily noticeable. DBW cars in the extended fleet have included a 3rd and 2 7th gen Accords, and 4th and 6th gen Civics. My McStrut cars have included 2 DOCH neons and an 8th gen Civic. The DWB cars steered easier, more fluidly. The McStruts felt as if it didn't want to turn. There was much more initial resistance getting it away from center. It wasn't a power boost issue, just the noticeable nature of the designs.

I have two side notes. One, one of the 7th Accords was a V6. The weight of the engine numbed the steering feel down. It could go like stink, but it wasn't as fun in the corners. Two, I don't intend to dismiss the capabilities of a McStrut car. I've been DD'ing fun strut cars for 13 years. When I first drove my 8th gen civic, it felt like the neons but with Honda build quality and a little less mopar insanity. The amp was only turned to 8 or 9, rather than 11 The civic will willingly do what you ask of it. The neons always begged for more.

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/26/17 11:47 a.m.

As with anything, the price is such for a reason.

I remember back in 2003 when these things sat on dealer lots for MONTHS and MONTHS. I suggested a friend go there and ask about one to see how they would react. They spent 30 minutes teaching him how to drive stick just to get him into the car.

Later, I trolled an EP meet at Atco raceway. I took a bunch of money from kids there (I was a kid at the time too) by talking trash about how even my beat up '96 neon was faster than their cars. Put up or shut up.

It was. My neon beat every single EP that showed up that night. Sad stuff.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
4/26/17 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Brian:

You, sir, have apparently a much more attuned automotive spidey sense than I do. This is not an insult, mind you, but rather an admiration.

Edit: Like, seriously, I've never noticed a difference.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/26/17 11:51 a.m.

They strike me as a really nice DD, but not much more. Lots of room, decent power, great seats (as David said) and a pleasant disposition. I never liked the high-mounted shifter, as it didn't have the directness that Honda manuals usually do. They aren't great handlers, as Honda hadn't quite figured out strut suspensions yet. (there are plenty of excellent handling Mac Strut cars--- this isn't one)

They are nice, reliable, practical cars with a dash of fun thrown in. As long as you use the car as it was intended, you'll have a good machine. I wouldn't run down the rabbit hole of highly modifying one..... there are better choices.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/26/17 1:49 p.m.

In reply to Blaise:

I believe it. The Si had a 10hp advantage over a DOHC, but a neon was several hundred lbs lighter. IIRC, the registration listed curb weight of my coupe was sub 2300, (2293?). In my less tactful days, when the EP3 was still new, I plain faced told a Honda salesman my neon was faster.

In reply to penultimeta:

Thank you. I've never thought much of it, but I have issues taking a compliment so I'm going to stop before I unintentionally say something wrong.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PYhgNx4M3heIMsmZimQaiEO5PKd3wYEke0wASFwfy4ZmSL5ZVL1PA0G8tPrSTmkD