1 2
BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
9/26/16 7:05 p.m.

It's really wild that an engine that small will now move an extra full size truck adequately (and by today's standards of adequate!) and reliably.

OHSCrifle wrote: In reply to Knurled: What's the treatment consist of? Is this an additive?

I'd like to know too, something that can clean the gunk out of a Saturn piston without removing it is some pretty awesome stuff.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/16 7:06 p.m.
Sure its rated for 7800 but how well does it tow it or the usual 4 to 5 k of trailer and small'ish car.

I would guess as effectively as any other truck with the same rating? Honestly, I wouldn't even know how to answer your question. Why wouldn't it tow well? It has a ton of power compared to my old 5.4. It has all the toewing accessories and upgraded coolers. It has a tow mode on the transmission. Heck, it even has a tiny wheel for backing up a trailer. You simply turn the little wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go, and the truck does the rest.

Seems like towing was part of the design plan . . .

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
9/26/16 7:41 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:
RealMiniParker wrote:
patgizz wrote: Don't drop a bucketload of jagged rocks in the bed from 5 feet up
Or push your toolbox of the bedrail.
You know, both of those can be prevented by some spray-on bed liner.

Both of those can be prevented by not being a dumbass.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
9/26/16 7:47 p.m.

In reply to ZOO:

Your main points in your 1st post were mostly related to fuel economy,I'm confident the truck itself will go down the road with a trailer on pretty much like any other F150 but does the economy REALLY tank when that itty bitty engine is asked to pull up its socks and get to work.

My V8 4runner gets low to mid 10's(canuck measuring)at 100k empty,about 12's at 120k and 22's with the enclosed trailer stuffed with a miata at an average of 105k.

So yours gets better unloaded mileage,curious how it changes with load is all.

ZOO
9/26/16 7:51 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla:

Ah, I see your point. I will update the thread if I ever tow something that big. Mostly I tow wood chipper a, utility trailers, and the like.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
9/26/16 7:57 p.m.

Dealers are offering these just the way I like 'em. Regular cab, long box, rubber floors, no options except the windows/locks/cruise package for $25k + TTP.

Oddly, the same money gets you the n/a 3.5 V-6, which stickers for a grand less.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/16 7:59 p.m.

In reply to everyone asking about decarbonizing:

You need a special forced-air tool for doing DI engines since most of them run WOT and control engine speed with cam timing and injection. We just bought one, it's silly-expensive.

But WOW this stuff works. Sounds like snake oil and I had my doubts until I used it and saw the results.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/26/16 8:06 p.m.

Will say we had a Transit connect 250 to help us move in and that 3.6 N/A is really quite impressive, during our move it still averaged over 160 miles with 2 of those being fully loaded I still averaged over 17.4MPG and it did not feel gutless in anyway.

BTW we don't know who Richard ashley is but one of our daring friends felt the need to permanently borrow it from someones yard in Delaware many years ago.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/16 8:56 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Your main points in your 1st post were mostly related to fuel economy,I'm confident the truck itself will go down the road with a trailer on pretty much like any other F150 but does the economy REALLY tank when that itty bitty engine is asked to pull up its socks and get to work.

As someone who recently used the 3.5L Ecoboost to tow 7k pounds of travel trailer across this great nation, yes. The fuel economy goes to E36 M3 when you're in the boost all the time. But the power doesn't. The thing is just a torque monster. And for the 90% of the time when you're not towing, the economy is a bit better. So, to me it's more than worth it.

Knurled
9/26/16 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

What grade fuel did you use?

I've heard tell that while rated as 87 being acceptable, if you're really leaning on the engine, you're much better off economy-wise with running higher octane, with fuel economy going up drastically on 92/93. I mean people talking about 24mpg towing a box trailer drastic.

It may be awesome tech but it's still a turbo engine governed by the laws of combustion...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/26/16 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

The highest I could find, for the entire trip. 93 in the middle part of the country, 92 and 91 in the desert and mountains. I got about 8 mpg average on the trip.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
9/27/16 7:36 a.m.

For the gearing comments, I haven't gotten to drive one of the aluminum bodied trucks, but in the previous gen with the 3.5 ecoboost, 3.55s felt like a pretty much perfect spread. Lower might be nice for a lot of heavy towing in the city, but on the highway, it wouldn't be needed. And I wouldn't want a taller gear unless you were spending most of your time driving around on the highway with an empty truck.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
9/27/16 8:21 a.m.

This is all quite interesting to me as I'm looking into new trucks for DD and weekend race duty pulling an enclosed trailer and car weighing in at 6k lbs.

Knurled
9/27/16 7:29 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: In reply to Knurled: The highest I could find, for the entire trip. 93 in the middle part of the country, 92 and 91 in the desert and mountains. I got about 8 mpg average on the trip.

Ouch. You've my sympathies.

On the other hand, I'm kind of a flatlander guy, not used to the hit that grades longer than a quarter mile or steeper than a gentle roll will take on economy. It was amusing to me this summer when I was driving through PA/WV/MD and seeing signs at the top of loooong (to me) grades that we were now 2000 feet above sea level! And then I started to get acrophobic.

I think if I actually drove through the Rockies area, I'd have a full-on gibbering panic attack...

WAKman
WAKman New Reader
10/11/16 7:44 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: Will say we had a Transit connect 250 to help us move in and that 3.6 N/A is really quite impressive, during our move it still averaged over 160 miles with 2 of those being fully loaded I still averaged over 17.4MPG and it did not feel gutless in anyway. BTW we don't know who Richard ashley is but one of our daring friends felt the need to permanently borrow it from someones yard in Delaware many years ago.

Glad to hear that, since I just pulled the trigger n one for my business. It's possible it might disappear on weekends when there is some towin' to be done

Terry

Knurled
10/11/16 7:52 p.m.

This thread reminded me that I need to be looking into used MkSs, not Deagles or Ranch Hands.

Although I really REALLY want a .45LC Ranch Hand because dork. Okay, AFTER the twin turbo 6sp AWD thing.

ZOO
12/19/16 3:42 p.m.

Quick update (and a welcome back to me, since I've been off-site for a bit).

I really, really, really like this truck. It is really great at everything -- and despite its size it feels "nimble". It corners predictably, and it goes like stink when you need it.

Still averaging 12.5l/100 kms after 6500 kms (or just under 19 mpg, and 3600 miles).

I didn't get my snow tires on before winter hit -- my free time, and the "good weather" didn't align. Now it is a polar vortex, with a ton of snow. But there hasn't been any issues so far with traction.

10/10 -- I would highly recommend this configuration.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/19/16 8:20 p.m.

I would say that just under 19 mpgs in a full sized 4wd is pretty damn good. I assume that you aren't hypermiling it. My dad had an 06 f150 in the same configuration and it rarely did that after it was well broken in. Then the motor blew but that is another story.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qsMiwZIFvjKDfDZjMHIS657VXNHEtCpiWj66InkYwTfGEgoD5myE0LWfzA2kNLNR