1 2 3 ... 6
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/16 3:28 p.m.

Our Fiat arrived! It's being torn apart now, because the guys at FM have no respect for a new car.

And also, welcome to Flyin' Spider! Home of what has the potential to be a terrifying logo, that's our Fiat division.

Driving experience is good. Fiat did a better job on the base suspension than Mazda did, barely. It's underdamped but flatter. The "drive to lunch" club crowd will consider it perfect. We managed to bottom it out on one test drive, but we DO know all the bumps around here :)

The engine is definitely stronger. Turbocharged urge - and a surprising amount of lag. I was actually narrating "full throttle...there it is" even at 4000 rpm. It's a lazier engine than the Miata one, but it's burlier for sure and has more potential.

Sitting in the passenger's seat, the hood looks ENORMOUS. I think it's because it rises slightly from the center, but it seriously looks like you're in a Lincoln Continental.

In short, I think the Fiat is for guys who liked the NC. The Miata is for guys who liked the NA and NB.

Let me know what you guys want to know.

When's the last time you saw a turbo on such prominent display on a production engine?

Keith Tanner
8/1/16 3:29 p.m.

Weight! Almost exactly 100 lbs heavier than the ND, and all of the weight is on the front. I love the fact that we have three brand new two-seater sports cars in our shop and THIS is the heavy one. Finally.

Note: our V8 ND has less of a front weight bias

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/1/16 3:32 p.m.

Wait, 3 brand new two seaters?

Keith Tanner
8/1/16 3:35 p.m.

I'm counting "brand new" as "less than a year old". Although we will have an ND RF here on Friday.

ChrisHachet
ChrisHachet
8/1/16 3:36 p.m.

Wow, seeing them side by side, I really like the Mazda version better from a visual standpoint.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
8/1/16 3:41 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: When's the last time you saw a turbo on such prominent display on a production engine?

On the previous gen MINI S?

Keith Tanner
8/1/16 3:52 p.m.
ChrisHachet wrote: Wow, seeing them side by side, I really like the Mazda version better from a visual standpoint.

The Fiat is at a bit of a disadvantage there, as it's bone stock and the Miata is all hunkered and wheeled up. But the Fiat is RIGHT NOW AT THIS MOMENT getting the same suspension and wheels, so we'll have another Zoolander style walk-off when that's done.

The Miata does look meaner, wider and more aggressive.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
8/1/16 4:02 p.m.

Great side-by-side pics. Looking forward to pics of them on identical suspension. The ND is so low & race striped it makes the Fiat look like the sporty Buick.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
8/1/16 4:02 p.m.

In that picture, I'd say the Miata looks more aggressive, the Fiat looks classier.

Keith Tanner
8/1/16 4:03 p.m.

Underbody shot, as requested in an earlier thread. It's rough, I apologize. I have got so much going on, you would not believe it.

here's the Miata.

Keith Tanner
8/1/16 4:22 p.m.

On goes the suspension.

kb58
kb58 Dork
8/1/16 4:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: here's the Miata.

Very crafty how Fiat put their engine at the back and hide it so well!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
8/1/16 5:11 p.m.

Oh, lovely. :)

Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/1/16 5:19 p.m.
kb58 wrote:

Well, it is a Fiat afterall.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
8/1/16 5:32 p.m.
Burrito wrote:
kb58 wrote:
Well, it is a Fiat afterall.

Is the miata supposed to have the big plate under the front that the fiat has?

I think the fiat looks much better, but I would have to see a white one to know it's not just the paint drawing me in.

Edit; aw hell I thought the miata was the white one. Never mind, I like the miata better.

Keith Tanner
8/1/16 6:06 p.m.

We had removed the plate under the oil pan and the nose before taking the Miata pictures. They look pretty much identical in the nose.

Some mysteries remain. Why the big cavity in the tunnel? On the Miata, it's used for the cat on one side. But neither chassis uses the space on the other side. Why do both cars have mounting tabs for a heatshield (?) under the cat, but neither car uses it?

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
8/1/16 6:19 p.m.

"multiair turbo" is that a dodge/chrysler/mopar engine? im confused. did fiat just use the chassis, and fit their engine and bodywork?

and the answer to your heat shield question might be overseas versions, or right hand drive versions? on second thought, clearly its for fitting V8 exhaust for when you chuck the 4 banger and fit an SC-LS7.

-J0N

STM317
STM317 Reader
8/1/16 6:28 p.m.

Is that black panel in front of the passenger rear wheel designed to direct airflow towards the dif? Cool!

Is the trans tunnel symmetrical? Maybe there were plans for a V engine that would need cats on each bank at some point during development?

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/1/16 6:40 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: "multiair turbo" is that a dodge/chrysler/mopar engine? im confused. did fiat just use the chassis, and fit their engine and bodywork? and the answer to your heat shield question might be overseas versions, or right hand drive versions? on second thought, clearly its for fitting V8 exhaust for when you chuck the 4 banger and fit an SC-LS7. -J0N

Fiat IS Chrysler now. Same basis as Dodge Dart and Fiat Abarth engine. Not sure if there's any worthwhile differences in the 124 personally.

Also the Multi-Air moniker is their marketing name for variable lift... Pretty neat but not infinitely adjustable from what I can tell like BMWs Valvetronic.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/fiats-multiair-valve-lift-system-explained

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
8/1/16 6:40 p.m.

That area is for the transfer case for the all wheel drive coming next year.

Keith Tanner
8/1/16 6:57 p.m.

We did take advantage of the Mysterious Chasm when running the V8 exhaust, I will admit.

New shocks, springs, sways and shoes! Tony gets dressed to impress.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/16 7:05 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We did take advantage of the Mysterious Chasm when running the V8 exhaust, I will admit. New shocks, springs, sways and shoes! Tony gets dressed to impress.

Is it just me, or do aftermarket wheels and a bit of lowering do wonders for the 124 styling? It has left me cold in many other photos but I'll be damned if that doesn't look great.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/16 7:08 p.m.

Is the bump in the tunnel for rhd versions?

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
8/1/16 7:09 p.m.

Whoa, that looks amazing.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
8/1/16 7:20 p.m.

Awesome! I saw my first 124 spyder in real life today, well actually saw three at once at the fiat dealership but i will admit i think they look better in person but damn does yalls look better after its recieved the first round of fm fiddling. Cant wait to see what you have to say about it after it gets the Italian version of the big enchilada

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oq7dTuOxxt1OKu2Ax2Q8nD0gO0m0Fi1pyQUM2SSeo7zOlxcQNjLeSsx0aDgfQMaZ