bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/6/18 10:07 p.m.

Say you took a CCW "Reverse Rotation" engine, say a '90s era Honda 4 cylinder, your favorite B or D series.

Adapt that engine to say a Subaru or Audi transmission.

Stick the engine in the back of the VW, bell housing forward, the transmission is now backwards from its original orientation.  Just like the AC VW originally had it, engine rear of the transmission.

So now that the transmission is backwards, with the RR Honda engine, it's still turning the correct direction to utilize all the forward and reverse gears as intended right?

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
1/6/18 10:19 p.m.

Sure, except you'll be driving all of the gears backwards, reversing the thrust loads and and driving the weak side of the ring & pinion teeth. Probably better to use a standard rotation engine and install one of the subarugears reverse rotation ring & pinion sets.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
1/6/18 10:51 p.m.

I had this idea some years ago for my counter clockwise turning Fiat 850 motor. I went out and bought an Audi transaxle with the ratios I liked and then chickened out.  I had an opportunity to discuss the idea with a former Hewland Gearbox engineer a while back and he gave it a good long think and decided that the thrust direction would be a non issue as most transmissions have thrust bearings on both sides. As for the ring and pinion he said the shape of the teeth is for noise reduction and spinning it backwards would be slightly stronger but louder, not like straight cut gears loud, but it would generate a bit of noise. He started telling me about certain rear ends they flipped upside down and drove backwards in some racing situations.

I have actually restarted the project and the Audi trans is on my work bench right now.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/18 10:53 p.m.

I am more thinking a Honda in the back of a Fiat 850 would be a much better playtoy than an ACVW

jarrettp
jarrettp New Reader
1/6/18 11:13 p.m.

You can flip the R&P on an ACVW transaxle, no need to play with other transaxles, and you don't have to adapt CV joints.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/7/18 12:00 p.m.

In reply to jarrettp :

Oh, there's a "need." devil

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/18 5:20 p.m.

Yeah, you can't run the transmission backwards.  You need to find a CCW trans to go with it.

Easier to stay CW and find a ring/pinion setup to reverse the spins

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
1/7/18 9:59 p.m.

The early swing axle VW transmissions are flippable. Just turn the transmission upside down. That's how a lot of early mid engine VWs were built.

Flipping the ring and pinion isn't terribly hard from what I've read/seen. My old boss had an IRS transmission that he did the flipped R&P mod to use a Corvair engine.

Curtis
1/8/18 6:18 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Flippable, yes.  But they're still driven the same way despite the output being reversed.  You can't put a CCW engine on the bellhousing of a CW transmission and have it survive.

jarrettp
jarrettp New Reader
1/8/18 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

ACVW trans use spiral bevel gears instead of hypoidal, so driving it backwards doesn't blow up pinion bearings like say running a hypoidal ford 9" in reverse rotation. Swapping in reverse rotating turbo corvair motors was a hot thing back in the day

Curtis
1/9/18 1:09 p.m.

Hmmm... The things you learn.  Thanks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WRlYlTeCGXjGsb7olHBGjGGi6NvJ8v3IYjQD1lEmFqnSYGKEjsmnkHG01101CpR8