1 2 3 4 5
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
9/24/17 8:19 p.m.
wspohn said:

Haven't seen that - guess I don't hang out at that kind of show.

If I did see it I'd be tempted to make up a miniature noose and rope attached to a fridge magnet. The owner would come back to find the doll hanging from the end of the hood.....

That might even help them win/place in the show.

And then lead to a new trend. surprise

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/24/17 8:20 p.m.

Yeah, I've seen these things for years and they don't seem to be going away. Who started this and why? I hate how some people feel the need to create a 'scene' around the car. 

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
9/24/17 8:23 p.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

Yeah, I've seen these things for years and they don't seem to be going away. Who started this and why? I hate how some people feel the need to create a 'scene' around the car. 

"My car isn't interesting enough as it is, so I'll use a distraction to generate interest" would be my guess as to why.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/24/17 8:23 p.m.

The only show that I go to anymore is the Dream Machines show at Half Moon Bay. In addition to a wide array of American iron, there's a good bit of foreign, plus planes, steam engines, military, motorcycles et cetera. Next year I'm going to Monterey, but the Good Guys shows et al.... Yawn.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/24/17 8:41 p.m.
Trans_Maro said:
SVreX said:

Wow. I think we may need like a whole box of Sickers for you guys. Has somebody missed their nap?

You have an irrational hatred of tiny homes.

We have an irrational hatred of crybaby dolls.

I'd say we're even. cheeky

Actually, I love Tiny Houses. Just can't make a business selling them. 

Dont be a cry baby!  cheeky

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/24/17 9:06 p.m.

I thought this was going to be about the NFL protests.   

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
9/24/17 9:53 p.m.

But it's not, lets keep it that way.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
9/24/17 9:59 p.m.

I quit attending car shows a few years back because of all the 8 second pro street cars with stock smallblocks. Never understood why people just cant be proud of what they own. I do attend 2 cruise in's every summer and theres a few of these guys but mostly cool old car guys with nice drivers.

Seeing an all steel 30 plymouth cruising around the street is worth it alone.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
9/24/17 10:42 p.m.

There are so many cliches in this thread, mostly that need to stop. 

I'd like to add to the list of car shows/cruises worth attending. The UMI cruise in Philpsburg is pretty good. The music was unexpected for the first two years. They played all sorts of stuff, from '55 to the present, country and rock and rap. It was nuts. The last two years, they've had a talented local musician play. 

This year, there was a day and a half of auto cross, too.

Of course, in this part of PA, there has to be *somebody* with one of those stupid berkeleying crybabies. 

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
9/24/17 11:00 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Then you guys would probably HATE the tradition we had at the SCCA Runoff back 20 years ago when it was at Road Atlanta.  Late at night on the back side of the track at turn 7 we would stage DEAD CAT BURNOUTS!

People driving through would stop and we'd pour small amount of motor oil in front of their rear tires.  They would proceed to do a burnout.  When it got really smoked up we would toss a stuffed toy cat under the spinning wheel and winner would be the person who launched it the farthest.

Ahhh, youth...wasted on the youngdevil

I was there for that; back straight access roads, close to the turn 5 bathrooms! I don't remember if I got the cat but I did get some cheers with a fwd burnout in my CRX Si.

Having our camping neighbors toss broken magnesium bits into the bonfire was even more fun.

Good times, indeed...

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/24/17 11:17 p.m.
oldsaw said:
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Then you guys would probably HATE the tradition we had at the SCCA Runoff back 20 years ago when it was at Road Atlanta.  Late at night on the back side of the track at turn 7 we would stage DEAD CAT BURNOUTS!

People driving through would stop and we'd pour small amount of motor oil in front of their rear tires.  They would proceed to do a burnout.  When it got really smoked up we would toss a stuffed toy cat under the spinning wheel and winner would be the person who launched it the farthest.

I was there for that; back straight access roads, close to the turn 5 bathrooms! I don't remember if I got the cat but I did get some cheers with a fwd burnout in my CRX Si.

Having our camping neighbors toss broken magnesium bits into the bonfire was even more fun.

Good times, indeed...

Wow...I bet our paths crossed.  I was part of the Mississippi  region SCCA GROUP that camped back there every year.  WE started the magnesium meltdown bonfires dragging old VW magnesium transaxlles to throw on bonfire.  We also used to bring old outboard boat motors which we would hang on the fence (after removing props) and run them wide open on methanol until they hand grenaded...golf cart soccer and jousting...the shameless and nameless huzzies women auxillary...sliding in the red clay mud after the inevitable rainstorms...Saturday night catfish fries...I cooked over 200 lbs of catfish there one year.

Ahhhh...those were the days.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
9/24/17 11:21 p.m.

I'm actually having a great time at these shows. Bringing my unwashed racecar and just parking it right between two shiny pre '50 whatevers. I love watching the old farts walk by and scoff at it and the kids go crazy when they see it.

I'm going to do more of them... maybe I'll get my own crying doll and stuff him under my tires...

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
9/24/17 11:31 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:
oldsaw said:
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Good times, indeed...

Wow...I bet our paths crossed.  I was part of the Mississippi  region SCCA GROUP that camped back there every year.  WE started the magnesium meltdown bonfires dragging old VW magnesium transaxlles to throw on bonfire.  We also used to bring old outboard boat motors which we would hang on the fence (after removing props) and run them wide open on methanol until they hand grenaded...golf cart soccer and jousting...the shameless and nameless huzzies women auxillary...sliding in the red clay mud after the inevitable rainstorms.

Ahhhh...those were the days.

Many of our next-door camping neighbors were Delta maintenance crew; they brought the broken parts of the jet engines they repaired. Plenty of old broken air-cooled VW blocks found that bonfire. I know of several melted magnesium drip trails that adorn the walls of homes and garages.

The weed was good, the moonshine was good and the 50' stumble to the sleeping bag was even better!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/24/17 11:34 p.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

I took my ratty, nasty chopped up c4 to a local corvette club event complete with all the challenge decals/numbers.  They were not amused.  Ask me if I care.devil

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/24/17 11:36 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw :

There's a fine line between waking up and coming to.wink

Thankfully the track wouldn't let race engines to be cranked before noon on sunday.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/17 5:09 a.m.

I still have no idea what a "crybaby" stuffed kid is supposed to be or what it has to do with '50s cars.

STM317
STM317 Dork
9/25/17 5:17 a.m.

I'm interested in more pics of that Lincoln...

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project New Reader
9/25/17 5:22 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

A few autocrosses ago we were sharing the lot with the local Porsche club. There was a guy in a chopped up BMW 3-series cone (track?) slut that registered with them and was autocrossing their course all day. The car was annoyingly loud, even from far away laugh

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/25/17 6:11 a.m.

I'm not a fan of the crybabies but i won't waste effort hating them. I tend to hit two car shows, the Syracuse east coast nationals and the car coral at speedie fest. Cuse is big and full of the stereotypes this thread bemoans. The show at speedie fest is small and the car theme is supposed to change daily, but ends up 50-75% traditional classics and the rest is a mix of anything ranging from vipers to bone stock NA's with a for sale sign. 

That said, my favorite events are the unofficial shopping center Saturday evening "shows". Everything shows up there. 

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
9/25/17 6:40 a.m.
Gearheadotaku said:

My theory is sewing these things together gave the guys' wives something to contribute and a reason to go to the show.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
9/25/17 7:21 a.m.

I gave up on shows a few years ago, just as these dolls were getting popular around here.  I'll take the casual Cars and Coffee cruise-in anyday.  (So far no deaths by Mustang burn-outs after 5 or so years).

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
9/25/17 7:27 a.m.

My favorite car show is the parking lot of Road America during the BRIC in July, lots of really nice cars that were driven, some from a long distance.

I will attend Cacklefest with my uncle some day, it sounds like fun to have your eardrums shattered while your lungs are burned out simultaneously.

My uncle told me about cars when I was young.  "If it don't go, chrome it"  I have not built a pretty engine yet and don't plan to.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
9/25/17 7:30 a.m.

My "car that was exactly like that Packard except it was a Ford and it was green".

I've got the urge to just use that  line verbatim next time I'm at one of these.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
9/25/17 7:41 a.m.

Car show observation from a recent attendance...... How did the guy with the Murcialago manage to get it to the show without having ever touched the brakes?  I sort of get that he's scared of the car and that it cost WAAAYY too much money but seriously, the brake rotors had NO sign of use at all.  Weird.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/25/17 8:05 a.m.

Eh, car shows will have a variety of people and cars just like any other large group. I go and just look at cars I like and ignore the ones I don't. I can appreciate the nice paint jobs on cars I would  never own or wonder how someone would spend what looks to be a LOT of money and a faux patina-ed car.

Heck my buddy I go to most of the shows with has a car he's only driven 5 times in the last two years. That seems goofy to me, but it's just what he wants. He can't figure out why I would want to be able to turn my car both ways while he's only interested in going straight.

Just takes all  kinds I guess and it would probably be boring if everyone liked exactly the same thing I did.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
acURFAVeUFszR9fcwe291UGFWwAs5PzBWd6ELoVRvk3CcrkSa16T5z9Wvoy2oa9P