1 ... 3 4 5
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/27/17 10:17 a.m.

^^^ Maybe the judges liked the Lumina better........

"Judging" at car shows always puzzled me.  If it's a totally bone stock car, and you are looking for a 100% accurate restoration. (or survivor) I can see how you'd judge it.  Otherwise, it's all  up to the show organizer's taste, and the individual judge's tastes.

I've judged at events in the past--- and my instructions were to pick the cars in my classes that represented the spirit of the event the most.  The cars I picked to win weren't the prettiest, or had the most money invested.  I picked the cars that had obviously been used, driven, and enjoyed.  I know I pissed off some of the competitors who were going to a car show to "win", but that wasn't a concern.   The show wanted interesting cars to be rewarded, so I awarded my class prizes to those cars.

IMHO--- if  you are going to a car show to "win", you aren't doing it right.  With the exception of Pebble Beach, Amelia Island and Hilton Head- type concours events--- car shows are supposed to be fun, relaxed gatherings.   If you win--- great!   If  you don't--- who cares....enjoy your company, cars and the day.   

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/27/17 4:30 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

That is literally what I did, thanks for reading...

And now I see that you did.  Great minds must think alike.  

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/27/17 6:40 p.m.

I was told the creepy timeout kids symbolized the fact that their parents blew all their inheritance on the show car.

Makes as much sense as anything else, I suppose.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
9/27/17 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin :

“The spirit of the event” is key. Some folks are really wrapped up in winning shows. For them, they need well defined rules and knowledgeable judging. A person like this entering a popular vote car show is sure to go home frustrated and even angry. I’ve entered both type of shows and enjoyed them for what they were. I’ve also seen a lot of enmity created at both types for a lot of reasons. I’ve come to enjoy C&C shows more because of that. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/29/17 9:35 a.m.

I took the mustang to a cruise in last night. There were no dolls or gimmicks that i noticed. Of course this was just a small affair lasting a couple hours with around 40 cars. There was an awesomely rough ford anglia, a honda 600(?), a 64ish chevelle convertible with a supercharged ls2 and what i think was a tremec 5 speed, clean but wore 80s gbodies, a ford gt, and some really cool late 40's and early 50's converibles. I was about 40 years younger than the average attendee. 

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/29/17 2:19 p.m.

Im with most here. I dont really attend many real car shows - Im just out of touch with the owners. I too can appreciate a great restoration, but I am not a fan of trailer queens. If youre not comfortable chirping 2nd on the way out of the show, unless you have an Amelia or Pebble level car, then youre doing it wrong IMHO...

One of the shows that I will attend though is a fairly unorganized, yet wildly popular one in Milford Ohio - Friday nights at the Kroger on OH28. You will see ALL KINDS there, and to the best of my knowledge, there are no awards, no winners or losers. Just everything you can imagine. From Ford GTs to rat rods to NSXs to historic Bugattis (Bugattii?), to a Deuce and a half pulling a trailer with an Sherman on it...seriously. The guy will start the thing too, but wont bring it down off the trailer. Pretty much every nationality of car will be there at some point thru the summer. Japan is well represented. And all eras of cars are there too - from early Fords to 80's ecoboxes to the C7 Z06

There are those bluehairs in attendance that trailer in a 57 chevy. And the Chevy has an oakbed trailer thats painted the same colors and wears the same wheels. And they have a 57 coupe powerwheel on the trailer. And the powerwheel is pulling a trailer that looks like the same as the trailer its on. And the dolls in the powerwheel are dressed the same as the owners. And its creepy as berk.

But, my neighbor is there every week in his 68 Camaro, which he drives there. He takes the whole famn damily out to dinner in it, then stops at the car show for an hour. Then takes the family across town (like waaaay across the whole other side of Cincinnati) to the drive in in Oxford Ohio to watch a double feature. Its always fun when I hear him rumble back down the road on his way home at 1:30am. 

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
9/29/17 2:44 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

I try to hit that one regularly, since I'm only a couple of exits away.  Sadly, only been there twice this year so far.  It's the one I mentioned earlier in the thread with the drag racer idiots.  Thinking of going tonight, but I don't know if the Pumpkin Run this weekend is going to mean it'll be more or less crowded than usual.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/17 7:07 p.m.

I pedaled over to a small cruise-in tonight that unofficially opens up 10-days of Cruisin' the Coast. There were no pouty dolls to be found, just a dead hooker. 

There was this car, however. I'd seen it here last year, but not up close. I was a bit surprised to find this under the hood. 

Yes, that's a woody Edsel wagon with what I think is a Coyote swap. 

There was also this LS3C3 which alphanumerically appealed to my OCDness. 

There were the prerequisite moldy-oldies blaring, geriatrics in their hover-rounds, etc. though I did talk to a guy with a C7 Z06 that he autocrosses and tracks. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/29/17 7:49 p.m.

On Chicago's south side cars would meet up at Duke's Drive In (83rd & Harlem) and park and hang out on Friday nights.  

A part of the group was setting up illegal street drag racing in the further south rural areas for later in the night.  Sometimes guys wouldn't open their hoods as they negotiated.  

Then Duke's turned into low riders and the car show thing faded.  

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/29/17 8:23 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I pedaled over to a small cruise-in tonight that unofficially opens up 10-days of Cruisin' the Coast. There were no pouty dolls to be found, just a dead hooker. 

There was this car, however. I'd seen it here last year, but not up close. I was a bit surprised to find this under the hood. 

Yes, that's a woody Edsel wagon with what I think is a Coyote swap. 

There was also this LS3C3 which alphanumerically appealed to my OCDness. 

There were the prerequisite moldy-oldies blaring, geriatrics in their hover-rounds, etc. though I did talk to a guy with a C7 Z06 that he autocrosses and tracks. 

uh I think that's a tranny checking the tranny.cheeky

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
9/29/17 9:09 p.m.

Some displays are just creepy or not really interesting. Some however, are cute.

Was a guy in the local Brit club that had a mid-50's Bentley. He had a nice display. 2 full-size mannequins. A older lady dressed in fancy clothes w/veiled hat to reduce the creepiness sitting in the back seat and a man dressed as a chauffer holding the door open. The teak tray folded down with fancy plate, silverware and grey poupon mustard on the tray. Always got attention although sometimes had to explain the grey poupon mustard to youngsters.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/17 7:02 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

On Chicafego's south side cars would meet up at Duke's Drive In (83rd & Harlem) and park and hang out on Friday nights.  

A part of the group was setting up illegal street drag racing in the further south rural areas for later in the night.  Sometimes guys wouldn't open their hoods as they negotiated.  

My uncle told me stories of serious hardware negotiating races out in the boonies from the parking lot of Duke's back in the 70's.

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
9/30/17 8:23 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

On Chicago's south side cars would meet up at Duke's Drive In (83rd & Harlem) and park and hang out on Friday nights.  

Now that intersection consists of a Strip Mall, a Used Car Dealership, a sketchy looking no-name gas station, and an abandoned gas station.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/30/17 8:56 p.m.

One of those story's involved my uncle telling a buddy NOT to run his Malibu against a 68 Camaro. The guy never opened the hood, but he purged a bottle of nitrous in the trunk and he ran ladderbars clear to the firewall. Even at 6 car lenghts, his buddy got smoked. Grabbed the money and up on a trailer before any of the regulars could figure the car out. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
10/5/17 2:21 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:
uh I think that's a tranny checking the tranny.cheeky

You can't say "tranny" anymore. That's "transmission".

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/5/17 6:29 a.m.

Another show worth going to. All sorts of cool stuff. 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/5/17 9:51 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In the mid 80's Lombard has a similar scene.   Tons of hot-rods cruising through downtown, with private races being set up on the down-low.  Good times!  

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iNgkeEA5LBa8CO7n89jqaWIDdQIAXJUehGmIHFBVEslvE6GA31YAD26jND1vA06v