Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/7/23 11:34 a.m.
feature_image

Round 6 of the World Racing League 2023 Championship takes place this weekend, June 9-10, at Daytona International Speedway.

We’ll be on the ground during the weekend’s 14-hour endurance race to capture the thrills.

While this race is not a spectator event, you can follow the action over on WRL’s Youtube channel.

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/7/23 11:52 a.m.

Welcome to Daytona, and look for me with camera in hand. 

David S. Wallens
6/9/23 10:02 a.m.

I have some editing to do this morning, and then heading to the Speedway after that. See you all there. 

David S. Wallens
6/10/23 10:38 a.m.
David S. Wallens
6/12/23 9:48 a.m.

Good racing, good action and good seeing everyone. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/23 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I have never heard of a non spectator event for car racing. Does that actually mean the event is closed to spectators?  As in the public is not welcome? 

Why is this a thing?  Other than private testing by teams I have never heard of an event that does not welcome spectators. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/23 9:12 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Wait. It just occurred to me. Is that a typo?  Should spectator be spectacular?  That would make much more sense. . 

David S. Wallens
6/13/23 9:29 a.m.

It was officially listed as a non-spectator event, and I’ve seen that before. 

ross2004
ross2004 Reader
6/13/23 10:02 a.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to Colin Wood :

Why is this a thing?  

If I had to guess, insurance. ChampCar is the same way. The spectator entry fee is a "weekend membership pass" or something like that. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/13/23 10:37 a.m.

Exactly.  Spectators require additional insurance.  None of Champcars races are spectator races.  As stated above, you CAN buy a champcar membership for the weekend for like 25$ and hang out ALL weekend.

You just can't be a spectator.

David S. Wallens
6/13/23 11:54 a.m.

I’m also thinking that welcoming spectators also adds more to the to-do list: someone’s gotta sell tickets, take tickets, feed the people and make the general population happy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Emrpn35OpauWifj6I3D83tvCK9FouGa6R2LyQKMgjUxYSvECp9IAaVJPVN5MtT53