John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/21/24 3:05 p.m.

I have my eye on a few cars at this weeks upcoming salvage auction (Tues morning.)  If figure the more eyes the better so lets "crowd source" these.  That is, I'll mention what I see, you tell me if you see anything I'm missing.  I'll be looking at the cars in person on Monday.  You can not bring tools or jump packs when looking at them.  

All the intention here is to repair and flip.  These are not cars I'd want to keep for myself.  Actually, yes, they are cars I would keep but I have no current need for keeping them.  

Prius.  Two of them.  These are my preferred targets as I know them pretty well.  

'07 Prius w/182k

Needs a Left fender ($100) in correct color.   Might need a bumper cover ($200) in correct color.   The current one is included but pictures don't show if it can be saved.  Needs a canister bracket and I have a parts car that can donate.  Green marker from the adjuster implies some denting to the driver's door but I'd probably not repair it.    Needs a rear hatch/latch area trim but that's a $50 repair.  
$4k target retail after repairs.  

'09 Prius w/213k

Nearly same damage.  One or maybe two front fenders.  Bumper cover might be savable.  Same retail price target of $4k.  

'05 Accord base model w/95k

Some rear bumper cover damage as well as some front bumper cover damage.  I'd only fix the rear and only because car-part shows a white cover within an hour of me for $100.  Rear seat covers might imply the car has been used for Uber or the real cloth is trashed.  Eager to see in person.  Probably another $4k target.  Maybe start at $5k.  

'07 TrackCcord w/218k

3.0L V6 with manual trans.  $100 bumper cover, $100 fender, $100 headlamp, or cheaper.  This car is listed as buy-it-now for $925 ($1,400 w/fees) but failed to meet reserve last week only bringing $225.  High mile, with a manual is not a car that would sell quick and requires the right buyer.  At $475 bid it'd be $814 and that might draw my interest.  I could be $1500 all in and then retail for $3k...maybe.  This will have appear to be exceptionally well cared for when I see it to keep my interest.  

'07 Focus w/86k 

I wouldn't do anything to fix the rear, side scuff.  $3k retail and would be a great car for a high schooler.  This car would retail for $3k but even at $2.5k it could be a deal if I could be all in for $1,500.  I'm eager to see it in person.  

'09 Saturn Vue w/102k 

All the world loves an SUV but do they love a Saturn Vue enough to make it a quick sale.  Being a low spec model means 2.4L and fwd only.  That's the right model removing complexity.  Generally just GM parts bin and 2.4L has a good reputation.  

The real question here, "does this just need two doors?"  I have found the doors, in the right color and trim (including interior trim) for just $150 each.  I'm eager to see this one.  I see that the passenger front seat has a tag highlighting in-seat airbags but from what I can tell, the driver's seat has not blown the bag.  This should then mean that the B-pillar has not moved...I think.  I'm unsure if the A-pillar at hinge mounting is distorted.  Failed to sell last week bringing only $225.  Its currently a by-now at $675 ($1,079 w/ fees)
I'm half tempted to jump on it but the A-pillar scares me sight-unseen.  I'll know more Monday.  

The junkyard Saturn Vue.  But, it doesn't have the pin stripe.  Also would need to rekey the door lock to work with the ignition key.  

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
9/21/24 4:41 p.m.

I need to get back into doing flips. So for the mental exercise . . .

I know nothing about Prius’sss so I’ll skip them. I don’t think old Saturns will be worth the effort. Top targets for me – as well as others would be:

The white Accord, bumper covers and interior are fairly easy to do.

The Focus, I would see if I could make the scuffs less visible to make a better first impression.

Price wise I would need to get back to doing the local research.

Good luck

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gok7RI7kKnTZP3y8v01O0wtlh9FI3tKwKi3YZ0znFjr9QIUx6EyNCoyEWYdTEhbC