1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/30/10 8:54 a.m.

Okay, so, the SRT-4 is considered to be a halfway decent little car, with a good amount of aftermarket, and the ability to have the boost cranked up to the point of embarassing a lot of modern pony cars.

The PT Cruiser (ugh, I know) uses the neon chassis, right? It's basically a neon with a thyroid problem?

There was a turbo version of the PT, the PT GT.... (regulars will know where I'm heading already)

How different underneath are the PT GT and the SRT4? I assume the PT motor is mildly detuned, but will SRT4 "stage 73!!1!" kits work? Is the suspension interchangable?

For as ugly as the PT is, and how bad the interior might be, it seems like it'd be a significantly cheaper way to get one's hands on an SRT4 chassis, and you'd get wagon points plus double granny stealth bonus.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/30/10 9:00 a.m.

Hey, then you could deal with the ugliness by dropping a SRT-4 body on it!

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
11/30/10 9:00 a.m.

there was a grm article about good hop ups for the ol neon which included the ptgt motor but i woudnt go for the actual car. i remember spotting a solid rear beam on one not long ago which leads me to believe the chassis is not the same. take my words witha grain of salt though cuz im just spinning this off the top of my head

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
11/30/10 9:04 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Hey, then you could deal with the ugliness by dropping a SRT-4 body on it!

unibody

as for performance though, i do believe a ptgt could be a good straight line sleeper

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/30/10 9:10 a.m.

I've seen a few of them built, so I know it happens. I think the biggest problem is the lack of space in the front end compared to SRT-4's.....

AquaHusky
AquaHusky New Reader
11/30/10 9:10 a.m.

The PT has a different intake manifold to fit in the tight confines of the engine bay. And it also sports a beam axle in the rear for a lower floor for more cargo space. I believe the front suspension bits are the same, but check out a neon forum for the real swappable parts. My mom had a PT with the 5 speed, and it was alright for all intended purposes. I think HOTROD dropped the 3.0 V6 into a PT. I know someone did anyway.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/30/10 9:24 a.m.

What's the point of this again? I mean I see the challenge and the Dare to be Different factor but this seems pretty lame.

Want a sleeper, do up a Cloud car with the SRT-4 motor & throw chassis bits at that, a PT Cruiser seems really hamstrung in every possible way in comparison.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 9:25 a.m.

Why hate yourself? The SRT-4 can make stupid power, and the PT has some practical benefits. I think Dodge was practically begging people to do exactly that when they came out with the PT GT.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/30/10 9:26 a.m.

Heh, the cloud car community is big into doing this. Before we got the SRT motor stateside, they'd drive down to mexico and buy up wrecked clouds- because they came with the boosted lump already in em, and some of em were even cop package cars with uprated shocks and whatnot. Interesting group, the cloud guys.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/30/10 9:29 a.m.
grimmelshanks wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Hey, then you could deal with the ugliness by dropping a SRT-4 body on it!
unibody as for performance though, i do believe a ptgt could be a good straight line sleeper

It. Was. A. Joke.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/30/10 9:31 a.m.

Cloud guys?

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/30/10 9:34 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Have you ever ridden in one of these? I think Dodge was practically begging people to overlook all of the inherent flaws in these cars to take one home.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/30/10 9:35 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Cloud guys?

Enthusiasts of the Dodge Stratus / Chrysler Cirrus / Plymouth Breeze family of badge engineered cars.

Marty!
Marty! Dork
11/30/10 10:07 a.m.

Can't help with you question but I do know that at my local auto-x there is a guy that runs a PT GT.

That thing makes some sounds like God never intended, and I mean that in a good way.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/30/10 10:22 a.m.
pres589 wrote: What's the point of this again? I mean I see the challenge and the Dare to be Different factor but this seems pretty lame.

Point was just verification of if in fact the PT GT shared it's important bits with the SRT4, thus making it a low-buck alternative for your turbo torque steering needs.

Sounds like the answer is "not enough to be worth it".

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/30/10 10:28 a.m.
pres589 wrote:
Enthusiasts of the Dodge Stratus / Chrysler Cirrus / Plymouth Breeze family of badge engineered cars.

That explains why I never heard that term before....

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
11/30/10 10:42 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
pres589 wrote: What's the point of this again? I mean I see the challenge and the Dare to be Different factor but this seems pretty lame.
Point was just verification of if in fact the PT GT shared it's important bits with the SRT4, thus making it a low-buck alternative for your turbo torque steering needs. Sounds like the answer is "not enough to be worth it".

I've a coworker that has a PT Turbo and while it seems quick enough to be interesting when going straight, it's just not that nice to be in. Tall and pitchy on stock suspension & tires, the interior feels cheap and they aren't really that roomy either. It seems like there are other platforms that can take that powertrain just as well or better and be a lot nicer in other ways.

Much like the SRT-4 Caliber, to me it seems like a decent power train looking for a decent car, instead of a dorky weird van that has to be given steep discounts to move off of dealer lots. Poor resale values, junky seats, et cetera. I'm sure these things have their fans, I'm not one of them. Meanwhile I've seen Status's that actually look non-horrible (although I've never actually been in one) and the height to width ratio alone makes me think it will be a nicer thing to drive than a PT.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
11/30/10 11:11 a.m.

A co-worker picked one of these up earlier this year. It was plum, automatic, & a convertible. His man-card was pulled & he sold it shortly after.

This was not the 1st time his card was pulled. We had to pull it a few years back when he got a New Beetle Turbo cabriolet in yellow/white. His card was pulled by 2 Miata owners.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/30/10 11:57 a.m.

Hahaha - I've never seen a guy driving a New Beetle convertible, except for my old boss when it was the loaner car given to him while his 740iL was in the shop.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/30/10 12:05 p.m.

I drove a new beetle once, though it wasn't a turbo. It was actually kind of a fun little car to hoon around in. I'd consider one if it wasn't for the utter lack of reliability.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
11/30/10 12:08 p.m.

I actually like the PT we have - middling fuel economy, but otherwise solid. Don't try that timing belt though, ick.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole New Reader
11/30/10 12:29 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Hahaha - I've never seen a guy driving a New Beetle convertible, except for my old boss when it was the loaner car given to him while his 740iL was in the shop.

And I'm sure you put your job in jeopardy by laughing at him, or is that why it was your old job?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/30/10 12:54 p.m.
MA$$hole wrote: And I'm sure you put your job in jeopardy by laughing at him, or is that why it was your old job?

Oh, of course I laughed. It even had the flower wheels and chrome flower cut-out taillight covers.

FWIW, I try not to work for people that can't handle being laughed at. He was good sport about it.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/30/10 1:14 p.m.

one of my co-workers has a Stage 2 Mopar kit on his PTGT. Mainly because the first engine exploded only 3000 miles out of warranty.

The poster formally known as 96DXCivic
The poster formally known as 96DXCivic SuperDork
11/30/10 1:15 p.m.
pres589 wrote:

There are enthusiasts of those cars...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4nZD2890MSk3EfCHwZC1bfFjAPuJaoeiGLDKk70aFsAa6HrKPTSWIBQp73LOhSJE