1 2
Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
8/21/09 10:13 p.m.

I think I'd rather use Por-15 for undercoat, and use the rhino stuff for rockers. Course, that's assuming I'd actually do it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/09 10:38 p.m.
pres589 wrote: There are guys in the DIY audio world using bed liner as a "paint" for speaker cabinets, and I'm talking home or PA use, not trunk subs but stuff you'd actually look at often.

I have done this with roadcases for audio and lighting gear. Used the sprayer that you can get from the company and sprayed it directly onto the semi-finished plywood we made the cases out of.

VERY durable and not bad to look at in that use

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
8/21/09 11:35 p.m.

Have friends that have used bedliner as undercoating. Seems to work well in reducing heat and noise. I plan on using it on my next project as undercoating and in the wheel wells.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/25/09 1:20 p.m.

Sorry to thread jack, but on a similar note, how would the textured spray can trunk paint work for painting car floors after carpets have been pulled?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/09 5:40 p.m.
fastbmw wrote: This guy did his golf with tintable bedliner. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4396877 The effect actually looks alright. Here's another guy who did his FJ Cruiser http://forums.subdriven.com/zerothread?id=4396877&page=6

That VW didn't come out bad at all but that FJ is sexy. Now I want to do that to my truck but in tan.

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/25/09 6:12 p.m.

I know of a couple KLR 650s done up that way. I am considering doing it to my Wee Strom since the panels are fairly scratched at this point.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
8/25/09 6:35 p.m.

It's been suggested to me that after I take the dent and rust out of my GS1100L's gas tank, I should forget painting it but cover it in bedliner instead. At first I thought the idea was crazy, but it's been growing on me. This thread, particularly pictures of some of the results of creative bedliner usage, has made it grow on me even more - to the point where I'm probably going to do it. :)

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
8/26/09 7:51 p.m.

Hmmm, those look kinda good.

pirate
pirate New Reader
8/27/09 6:20 p.m.
Keith wrote: Call a Rhino Liner place and ask about the weight. They can apply it in different thicknesses depending on the protection you need. We used Line-X on our Westfield. A thin layer inside the wheel wells to protect the fenders from high speed rocks and a patch on the front of the rear fenders to protect them from other flying rocks. It came out really well, although this picture doesn't show it off well. It added no discernible weight.

When you applied the bed liner to the Westfields fenders what did you use to mask the paint with and how did you get such smooth radius. Thinking about doing something similar on a Stalker

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
8/27/09 7:16 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I've seen a Harley dresser painted completely in it. Different, to say the least, and I guess he didn't worry about scratches.

A friend just bought a metric cruiser with the tank and fenders done in Rhino lining; it looked pretty good.

EPcivic
EPcivic New Reader
8/27/09 7:59 p.m.

We have a Cherokee at work that was completely sprayed with tan Rhino liner. It's an off road test / ride&drive vehicle, so it sees a lot of abuse. The liner was sprayed on pretty thick, and it doesn't look very good around the door edges, or other panel gaps. I think a normal car would have similar problems.

On the other hand, I have used the spray can bedliner a bunch on my racecar, and it looks great and is very durable. I painted the entire front clip of the car with it, except the body panels, so inner fenders, engine compartment, core support, etc. I also painted the driver's floor, and it still looks great too. Very durable and easy to clean.

-Chris

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 Reader
8/28/09 1:27 p.m.

My friend sprayed his stripped impreza outside and in with bedliner, and he said with the amount he used (I don't know how thick he put it on) it probably added up to 50 pounds, so a lot more than an average paint job.

The effect was phenomenal though. Way better than any flat black. At night the thing truly disappeared with just a pair of taillights floating in front of you if you were following him (yes, I'm aware this is probably highly unsafe)

Here's a unique pick with the sun actually reflecting but in a really cool way off the paint. Also, thats a carbon hood unpainted to that part is still reflective.

I say go for it.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/17/13 2:36 p.m.

In reply to shiny happy person:

Ass Canoe? Unfortunately, this requires a drink......FML

car39
car39 HalfDork
6/17/13 4:49 p.m.

Saw a full size Dodge crew cab at an auction that was entirely done in bedliner. It was a demo vehicle for the bedliner company. The first time I saw it, it looked like a black truck covered with ice. It took forever to sell it at the auction. It was one of those "need to find the right buyer" type of vehicles. Ugly!

Shiny Happy Person
Shiny Happy Person New Reader
6/18/13 3:05 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/18/13 3:12 p.m.

I see a recent Hilux done in dark green bedliner with bull bars in black bedliner every once in a while, looks badass.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/18/13 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Shiny Happy Person:

Please GTFO. Mods, I request use of the banhammer of unusual awesomeness for this one.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
6/18/13 5:11 p.m.

Let's see if he can act like an adult.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6NfbIgHyNHKiSXdnVBCMh97WIjej4ht7a0UuTbX1x5ciq9lzzFvI5LZ4wnkKjoAt