1 2 3
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/26/20 7:20 p.m.

I gotta start digging around. The suv is nice but dose too solve the issues with hauling dirty stuff. Then i need a smal trailer which is ok, but just another thing to have and take care of.   Choices choices. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
5/26/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Yup. That's why I keep my taco around. To haul things. I am way too ocd to get dirty things inside my nice suvs.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/20 9:50 p.m.

I have a 4x8 utility trailer I use in place of a pickup. I like a lot of things about it (especially the low lift over height!), but there are times when a pickup is much more convenient. Like tonight, I went to HD to pick up some 10' decking. Trailer had a bunch of brush in it, so I took the Rav4 and spent extra time to tie the lumber to the roof rack. If I had a pickup, I could have thrown the decking in the bed, tied one strap around it, and called it a day.

it all depends on how you're going to use it, and what compromises you're willing to make.

Fueled by Caffeine
5/27/20 7:25 a.m.

hold up..  This Carmax lexus is from Texas.. https://www.carmax.com/car/18000088

History report: https://www.carmax.com/car/18000088/vehicle-history#top-JTJBT20X490178660

I need to go see it now.

Fueled by Caffeine
5/27/20 7:40 a.m.
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/27/20 8:16 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

hold up..  This Carmax lexus is from Texas.. https://www.carmax.com/car/18000088

History report: https://www.carmax.com/car/18000088/vehicle-history#top-JTJBT20X490178660

I need to go see it now.

A 2009................with a tape deck? That's pretty wild!

Fueled by Caffeine
5/27/20 8:22 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

yeeeah.. to which my 9 year old goes..  "Whats a tape deck"

apprently the overlanding community has alreay figured out this.. https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/products/10-4-tesla-style-vertical-screen-android-navigation-radio-for-lexus-gx-470-2003-2009  and have all the FAQ's to get it integrated easily..  "easily"

Fueled by Caffeine
5/27/20 9:30 a.m.

appointments set to go see those two..  

Need to see if ridgline can fit kids.  and same with GX.. the local one has no 3rd row...

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/20 10:59 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

appointments set to go see those two..  

Need to see if ridgline can fit kids.  and same with GX.. the local one has no 3rd row...

i dont think it is that hard to find someone getting rid of the 3rd row.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/27/20 11:42 a.m.

Look up GXOR on Facebook for a huge community on these (full disclosure, I am a member on there). Lots of people offloading their third row, so no biggie there like said above.

MrChaos
5/27/20 11:55 a.m.

oh on the cassette player thing, the newest car you could still get with a cassette player was the 2011 Lexus SC430

Fueled by Caffeine
5/27/20 9:48 p.m.

I went to reserve the carmax GX 470 to drive it and now it is unavailable..  probably got auctioned... 

Going to see ridgeline tomorrow to see if family fits..  

Fueled by Caffeine
5/29/20 6:36 a.m.

Got to sit in the ridgeline, but did not drive it.  The dealership closed early due an abundance of care for their people who had to drive through or to south MLPS to get home.  Very odd situation.  

Anyway,  Ridgline impression..  Loads more room than Rav4.  Back seat was pretty good for another 5 or so years with the kids.  Two boosters and a kid without fit perfectly..  Wife and I had plenty of leg room.  Seems positive.

MrChaos
5/29/20 7:38 a.m.

Gen 1 or Gen 2 ridgeline? I know the gen 1's have a huge "trunk" under the bed so they can store more than you think

Fueled by Caffeine
5/29/20 7:41 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

1st  It was a neat ride...   If it was mine, I'd call it the mullet..  Business up front, party in the back.  The one I saw was not one I would buy..  Curbed wheels, over KBB, not a clean exterior(but good).. solid dealer maint records reported on carfax..

GX is back at Carmax(maybe a website glitch).. They also have a colorado..  so willl probably be there soon to check things out.

MrChaos
5/29/20 8:35 a.m.

Honestly I think a gen 2 ridgeline is all most people need for a truck

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
5/29/20 8:42 a.m.
dj06482 said:

I have a 4x8 utility trailer I use in place of a pickup. I like a lot of things about it (especially the low lift over height!), but there are times when a pickup is much more convenient. Like tonight, I went to HD to pick up some 10' decking. Trailer had a bunch of brush in it, so I took the Rav4 and spent extra time to tie the lumber to the roof rack. If I had a pickup, I could have thrown the decking in the bed, tied one strap around it, and called it a day.

it all depends on how you're going to use it, and what compromises you're willing to make.

But what about the brush that's in the pickup bed?

Ironsides
Ironsides Reader
5/29/20 10:32 a.m.

I've been very impressed by the newer Colorado's, decent interior, manageable size, capable, and they seem to be good pre owned value, at least here in the northeast. 

Also some trade in confidence, we traded in mrs ironsides 2008 rav4 (4cyl awd, 163K miles) to the local Mazda dealer for $6000 on a CPO CX5, and they knocked a few grand off the listed CX5 price as well. 

Fueled by Caffeine
5/30/20 8:01 p.m.

Drove a Tahoe, Colorado and Silverado today. 

tahoe is out. Just not enough inside space for the size of the vehicle.  No trunk. 

Colorado is a nice machine. But. Too small for my family. Shoot. A trip down the street was painful. Kids elbowing each other and fighting. 

wife liked the silverado the best. I do too. 

wife seems targeted in ona. Ridge line or fills size truck. 

suv would be the same as what we have in the minivan.  

still want to drive an lx570 though. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/4/20 2:54 p.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/20 3:04 p.m.

Reading your needs list, the only thing I haven't seen already mentioned here that I would consider is a Crew Cab Tundra. But for a DD that only does part time truck work, the Ridgeline is probably the better choice. 

Fueled by Caffeine
6/4/20 4:21 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
6/11/20 7:54 a.m.
MrChaos
6/11/20 8:44 a.m.

not really and it will always have a branded title. and is priced at the top of blue book value for a clean title truck. blue book on a 16 xlt 5.5 supercrew is 25-28 with that mileage.

that truck would have to be sub 20 for me to consider it.

Fueled by Caffeine
6/14/20 8:01 a.m.

We spent a week away at a cabin in Wisconsin.  It was a great time.  Mu super nervous and anxious wife said she forgot about coronavirus..   Worth it to give up my BWCA vacation for this..

Since we were loaded down in the van.. I took a picture to show you the problem we are trying to solve..  Three kids.  Back full (We did bring all our food... Middle of nowhere Wisconsin)..    So van is this full, canoe on top, and bike rack on the hitch.  

So back at it....  Dealers are being pains.. hard to get people to call you back.. hard to test drive stuff.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gbCIOOesLhc2UPmgGJgIPzkC0bOHobIIZqLoYteyDWWAhkYcQuCPPxsYoL66RzwD