1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/23 2:08 p.m.
Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/29/23 3:39 p.m.

They've gotta finish the thing and decide if they're OK with driving it in anger, or if it's just going to putt around at shows (and break stuff off there).  It's ridiculous that they F'ed it up so badly just trailering it to a show and driving it 1/4 mile.  

Right now it seems highly optimized for sitting on jackstands.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/23 4:22 p.m.
Kendall Frederick said:

Right now it seems highly optimized for sitting on jackstands.

Careful saying things like that around here lol

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
4/29/23 9:30 p.m.

I'd really like to know how exactly they did all that getting it off the trailer.  I mean, how do you gouge a wheel that bad when presumably there are no curbs?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/30/23 8:19 a.m.
NorseDave said:

I'd really like to know how exactly they did all that getting it off the trailer.  I mean, how do you gouge a wheel that bad when presumably there are no curbs?

Car too wide, trailer too narrow.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
4/30/23 12:03 p.m.

I've always enjoyed Binky and the philosophy of attempting to stuff 10 pounds of crap into a 5 pound bag. Just watching the door reassembly reminds me of watchmaking.

I'll happily enjoy all their future videos and wouldn't be too sad if its never finished. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
4/30/23 12:12 p.m.

The next one is going to explain the long time between episode 37 and 38, the dash is what's been giving them fits.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
4/30/23 12:28 p.m.

This reinforces my decision to stuff 3lbs of crap into a 10lb bag.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/23 12:30 p.m.

The last 10 % takes 90% of the time/effort.

Yep, taking a long time. Remember when those girls were newborn? Still, I can't build anything to their standards given any amount of time or resources. Love it.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/23 2:32 p.m.

I think its time for trasport wheels.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/30/23 5:03 p.m.

When they showed the mud sprayed on the rear arches I figured they were not entirely careful with the car at the event.  Really unexpected, honestly.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
4/30/23 6:23 p.m.

If you saw them at the park (there were videos on YouTube)  Nick had a terrible time getting it started and keeping it running to put it back on the trailer, and it was running so poorly - that's why he bunged it up I think, trying to get it up the ramps.

The mud is because they were parked in a wet, muddy field, and again he was having a tough time getting it to run and pull itself. It also looked like it was smoking blue smoke out the exhaust at times?

Project Binky (Bad Obsession Motorsport turbo mini) at Weston Park - driving onto trailer 16-10-2022 - YouTube

But if you notice the date, that was what 8 months ago? I also found it interesting that they took the glass back out of it, but that did make it a lot easier to get the interior fitted I guess.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/23 7:19 p.m.

Can I assume that this is the most expensive Mini ever built? How much are they paying themselves per hour?

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/24 1:16 a.m.

Podcast interview w/ Richard Brunning (no video), has timestamps in the description.  IDK if it is on any actual podcast platforms as well?

Also, Superfast Matt is supposed to be on a future podcast.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/10/24 6:44 a.m.

Brilliant 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/10/24 7:58 a.m.

While it is a beautiful and fascinating Rube Goldberg device, this thing was never meant to be driven. The same results would be had if someone tried to drive the Ridler Award winner out of the building and on to the trailer.

Can you imagine the horrors of a future owner trying to service this thing?

That all said, it IS mesmerizing  and educational watching the  individual fabrication steps.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/24 8:40 a.m.

It turned into a video series on how to never finish a project car. 

I enjoyed the first half of the series but it turned into a show about making every part as complicated as possible instead of a show about building a car running and driving car. 

I gave up on seeing it actually drive when they put the flex shaft on the alternator. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/10/24 10:08 a.m.
Toyman! said:

It turned into a video series on how to never finish a project car. 

I enjoyed the first half of the series but it turned into a show about making every part as complicated as possible instead of a show about building a car running and driving car. 

I gave up on seeing it actually drive when they put the flex shaft on the alternator. 

I lost interest as it changed from a car project into (what I interpreted as) a revenue-generating source. Doing so is perfectly within their right - but I felt they'd sold out and lost focus. I call this the "Lost Effect", referring to the old TV series where the writers just kept stretching it out by adding contrived drama for the sake of sucking every dollar out of it. I may completely be missing the point though, that they did succeed, in generating publicity and income.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/10/24 11:46 a.m.
Toyman! said:

I never stopped watching and enjoying it for what it was, but I distinctly remember a change of opinion at that same point. 

They never did build enough critical mass with the transporter truck thing to make it interesting, but it did burn up a lot of good will that let them release videos at random long-period schedules.

NorseDave
NorseDave HalfDork
5/10/24 11:51 a.m.

All I can say is I learned a lot of fabrication tricks watching Binky...

Toyman!
5/10/24 12:10 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I've watched all of them. I enjoy their somewhat bizarre ways of doing things. I enjoy the effort and attention to detail that they put into every tiny part. I also recognize the project for what it ended up being. A working vehicle got lost in the enormity of all the brackets and complications for the sake of complication.

I equate it to watching a German engineer design his first vehicle with step one being the idea for a great car and step two ruining it by making everything as complicated as possible.  

If they put out another video, I'll watch it and enjoy the watching. If the video shows a running, usable vehicle, I'll be happily amazed. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/24 12:46 p.m.

The thing about a project is what BS Levy calls the new racecar blues. Everything is awesome and you get all the compliments on your cleverness and skill until you let the clutch out for the first time.....

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/10/24 12:46 p.m.

The thing about a project is what BS Levy calls the new racecar blues. Everything is awesome and you get all the compliments on your cleverness and skill until you let the clutch out for the first time.....

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
5/10/24 12:48 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to NOHOME 

If they put out another video, I'll watch it and enjoy the watching. If the video shows a running, usable vehicle, I'll be happily amazed. 

They had it painted and running at a car show in one of the videos , 

That just need to do a wrap-up video , show the car as is today and say what they would like to fix "someday" when the kids are out of school :)

Close the book ,  and move on

Toyman!
5/10/24 1:25 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Yeah, I watched that one too. It ran sort of. Pretty sure that's where the hokey-ass alternator drive came apart. I never have seen any video of it driving down the street with the AC on full blast headed to a coffee shop. Or doing a road rally. Or even a track day. There were a handful of problems and then radio silence. They bought a truck to cut apart and then decided to go road racing instead of finishing up the project that put them on the map. 

I'd like to see the project completed. If I wanted to get tied up in an unfinished project, I have several in my own shop. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OjzVPjuuyuIMEzC8GQOyga2LDQRQExYGDThGvuncSyOycQo5oywDbHA0CvhhaSno