bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
4/5/10 10:48 a.m.

So I have an 06 MazdaSPEED 6, time for new tires, I'm running Rota Torque 18x8 et 48.

I am torn between the Sumitumo HTR Z III and the Hankook Ventus V 12 Evo K 110...

Hankook Pros: Hankook has better wet traction, slightly better overall ratings on tire rack Cons: With my car being AWD i cannot rotate them between sides and for the health of my AWD system keeping roll out identical is key. Not many review or mile logged.

HTR Z III Pros: I can rotate them and keep them any way i please, they have better turn in according to everything i read, which i find much more fun for street tires than absolute grip. Lots of miles and good tests on trie rack Cons: Older tire, not being directional am i giving up performance, notably poorer wet traction according to most survey/test data out there.

So am i right to be concerned about keeping my rollout and rotation flexible? Am I over thinking this? dose anyone have a strong opinion one way or another?

pigeon
pigeon HalfDork
4/5/10 11:16 a.m.

I ran those Hankooks as rear tires on my 750 last summer and ran them down to the wear bars in about 10k miles, including 2 autocrosses. They're very soft, very grippy and thus wear very fast. I assume you know that already though and are prepared to replace them next year. FWIW I was very happy with how they handled the power and weight of my car, which I drive pretty aggressively.

bigbens6
bigbens6 New Reader
4/5/10 11:22 a.m.

With AWD I tend not to run through them as fast, since the load is spread out a touch more, my 140 rated Re050a's lasted 3 years, but i also have dedicated winters.... glad you liked them though, just trying to be swayed one way or the other... both have good and bad spots but nothing to make it clear cut choice...

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
4/5/10 2:52 p.m.

I used to run the Sumitomo HTRZIII on my SVT Focus and really liked them.

I live in a pretty wet climate (Houston, TX) and never had any problem with them. They're not the best thing I've ever driven in the wet, but I've driven much worse.

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez New Reader
4/5/10 3:21 p.m.

I have a couple hundred miles on a set of HTR ZIII's on my z28. Wet weather traction in cool temps (40-50F?) has been very good. It now requires a fair bit of throttle to break loose in the wet. No probs so far with hydroplaning in steady rain at normall highway speeds of 65-75mph. I like the turn-in, low noise, and decent ride. It's the most modern street tire I've run on anything, however, so I might be living in the past. I haven't autocrossed or driven really hard with them yet. When the rear does step out in the wet or dry, it's been smooth, balanced & pleasant.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dbhlGWUyizVztwYXxMJQtK3CYsIR9TAfFQgvr86PLZEHpiloa11L6vmoNFtiesPK