1 2
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 1:53 p.m.

I'm starting this thread because i'm impatient.

I have a car that needs tires. It's small, it's light, it's a Miata.

1) RS3: $575 to my door when they come available on 3/23
2) R1R: $560 to my door, available now 3) NT-01: $528 to my door

Any burning reason to NOT get the NT-01?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/5/15 1:55 p.m.

How long do you want your tires to last? Does it rain where you live?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 1:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: How long do you want your tires to last? Does it rain where you live?

It rains, but i have the option of driving another vehicle if i know it's going to rain, at least locally.

In terms of life... getting a season out of a set of tires would be cool. Figure 5k-ish street miles, a few autocrosses, and a couple track days?

I think lifespan would only really be a concern if it's a HUGE difference. Buying a new set of tires every spring isn't a big deal. Buying TWO sets every season might suck a little.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/5/15 2:00 p.m.

NT-01 is R-Comp. UTQG treadwear rating of 100. Will that be an issue for your chosen competition class?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 2:01 p.m.
trucke wrote: NT-01 is R-Comp. UTQG treadwear rating of 100. Will that be an issue for your chosen competition class?

I didn't choose the class, the class chose me. (Doesn't matter, i didn't build it for a class.)

Keith Tanner
3/5/15 2:13 p.m.

If it doesn't rain, then go for the Nittos. I don't think they'll last any more than one of your described seasons, but they should be good for that period.

Second choice would be the Kooks. I've found the Toyos overheat too easily on track, but they're the best bet for cold, wet running out of those three.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 2:15 p.m.

IF i get caught in the rain in a non-competition setting (highway? Commuting? Coming home from MATG?) are the NT-01s going to do their best to kill me? Or is this just a matter of common sense and slowing my roll?

drdisque
drdisque Reader
3/5/15 2:23 p.m.

Yes, the NT-01's will be awful in the rain.

RS3's aren't good in the rain, but at least they will work.

Get the RS3's if you plan on driving these tires on the street.

NT-01's are only nominally street tires.

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
3/5/15 2:26 p.m.

Are you required to run 225/45/15? Reason for asking is the R1R in that size are 7.8 inch thread width and 23 inch diam, if you went with 205/50/15 it opens up the selections and many are same tread width and very similar on diam. Example is GForce Rival in 205/50/15 7.8 thread width and 23.1 inch diam.

Keith Tanner
3/5/15 2:28 p.m.

Rival is currently not available.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/5/15 2:31 p.m.

I have RS2s, not RS3s, on my daily-driven Miata, but I'd warn that traction on these falls off noticeably when outdoor temperatures fall below the 40's. Cold paired with any precipitation on the ground makes them unpredictable (doubly so with my turbo lag!). Indy sees cooler temps than Atlanta, so you may have to shorten your driving season accordingly.

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
3/5/15 2:31 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Rival is currently not available.

They are in stock. Talked with TR the other day.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 2:32 p.m.
Pbw wrote: Are you required to run 225/45/15? Reason for asking is the R1R in that size are 7.8 inch thread width and 23 inch diam, if you went with 205/50/15 it opens up the selections and many are same tread width and very similar on diam. Example is GForce Rival in 205/50/15 7.8 thread width and 23.1 inch diam.

I have 9" wheels, not real interested in running 205s.

I'm not against the Rivals, i just don't see what advantage they have over an RS3 on a Miata.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 2:34 p.m.
nderwater wrote: I have RS2s, not RS3s, on my daily-driven Miata, but I'd warn that traction on these falls off noticeably when outdoor temperatures fall below the 40's. Cold paired with any precipitation on the ground makes them unpredictable (doubly so with my turbo lag!). Indy sees cooler temps than Atlanta, so you may have to shorten your driving season accordingly.

Yeah, i'm familiar with running tires in the RS3/RS2/R1R/RE-11/RT615k/etc realm. My cars have been wearing them for almost a decade. I've just never gone beyond that.

My driving season is April to early November.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/5/15 2:37 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: If it doesn't rain, then go for the Nittos. I don't think they'll last any more than one of your described seasons, but they should be good for that period. Second choice would be the Kooks. I've found the Toyos overheat too easily on track, but they're the best bet for cold, wet running out of those three.

Toyo's overheat at autocrosses too. They need to be cooled with water from a sprayer. Forget about using them on track.

Friend had the NT-01's on his M3. They have a decent life for an R-comp. But, rain sounds like it will be an issue.

Keith Tanner
3/5/15 3:18 p.m.
Pbw wrote:

Huh. You know, I bet they'd sell better if they were listed on the Tire Rack website then. They show other sizes, but not the 225/45-15.

You think the R1R overheat at an autocross, you should try using them on a V8 Miata rampaging around a kart track in 95F desert heat. I think the rears lasted about a half lap, then the fronts went. Then it was slidey time.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 3:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Pbw wrote:
Huh. You know, I bet they'd sell better if they were listed on the Tire Rack website then. They show other sizes, but not the 225/45-15. You think the R1R overheat at an autocross, you should try using them on a V8 Miata rampaging around a kart track in 95F desert heat. I think the rears lasted about a half lap, then the fronts went. Then it was slidy time.

It was FUN time, but definitely slide-y time.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
3/5/15 3:34 p.m.
Pbw wrote: Are you required to run 225/45/15? Reason for asking is the R1R in that size are 7.8 inch thread width and 23 inch diam, if you went with 205/50/15 it opens up the selections and many are same tread width and very similar on diam. Example is GForce Rival in 205/50/15 7.8 thread width and 23.1 inch diam.

I'm in the same boat, but leaning towards a bit more street time. I'd buy 225 Rivals today if they were available. The 205s list a rim width range of 5.5-7.5; I have 8" wheels.

May go with RS-3 but was looking for equivalent wear to my previous Z1 Star Specs.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/5/15 3:45 p.m.
I have 9" wheels, not real interested in running 205s.

Well, if they run the same width on the same rim then the difference would be like a 205 hp car and another 205hp car with a +20hp sticker stuck on the side.

Pbw
Pbw New Reader
3/5/15 3:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Pbw wrote:
Huh. You know, I bet they'd sell better if they were listed on the Tire Rack website then. They show other sizes, but not the 225/45-15.

Sorry I missed your point the 225's are not in stock..Just 205.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

The point is, if i wanted to run 205s i would have bought lighter and cheaper 8" wheels.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
3/5/15 4:02 p.m.
MattGent wrote:
I'm in the same boat, but leaning towards a bit more street time. I'd buy 225 Rivals today if they were available. The 205s list a rim width range of 5.5-7.5; I have 8" wheels. May go with RS-3 but was looking for equivalent wear to my previous Z1 Star Specs.

I would not hesitate to put 205s on 8" wheels.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/5/15 4:05 p.m.

If i had a 15x8 like my old miata, i'd run a 205. Cheaper, and fits nicely on an 8".

For primarily street, there's some really cheap tires with the Discount Tire sale going on right now.

AD08R for $416 shipped.
NT05 for $348 shipped.
RT615k for $388 shipped.
XS for $400 shipped.

The other option is the Federal 595 RS-R which is what i was going to run on the last miata. Usually around $340 to your door.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/5/15 4:07 p.m.

You just need to go straight to 17s.

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/5/15 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Sorry to thread jack but I'm trolling for sticky 205/50/15's and I haven't seen them as cheap as Swank commented? Where are these cheapy tires to be found sir?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RqzjMT9AeXD7CiOtQE0CUyEcK3RK0QpnuwDcbEVIFda8R8cwlhE3t4ooDeyNtnqn