16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/15/15 8:27 a.m.

So I was going to add a filter to my washer tank, and I just happened to have a vintage Fram fuel filter kit laying around, brand new in the box. First question, can I use a fuel filter, or would going with an oil filter be better. I'll be using a water based degreaser in the tank if it matters. Second question, HOLY CRAP I didn't realize how expensive this kit was. Looks like they still make it, and it retails for around $100. The only difference is mine has an old Fram logo on it, and has a totally bad ass late 60's-early '70s Corvette race car on the box.

So my question, should I sell it to someone who might be able to use it properly, or appreciate the cool vintage-ness of it and buy something more appropriate? Or should I just use it, because I already own it.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/15 9:40 a.m.

Buy a car that would go really nice ( bad-arsed vette), filter parts washer gunk through an old rag. Problem solved

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
2/15/15 10:11 a.m.

Im not sure you can effectively filter (full flow) a parts washer.

I think the best you can do is to filter the return in stages.

A basket first to catch the gasket bits and small parts.

Then a cloth to catch the paint and sand.

And the rest done with a settling tank.

Any fine filtering is going to plug quick unless it is huge.

And then the issue of keeping it hot comes into play.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/15/15 10:29 a.m.

The plan is to add a filter and a heating element. I've seen it done several times on the internet, so it has to be true.

BTW, the pump already has a mesh filter that should catch the big stuff. It basically looks like a scotch brite pad.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
2/15/15 10:53 a.m.

Summit sells the exact same filter setup, so I'd hesitate to use the word "vintage". They sell the official Fram version for about $90 and a $35 version with no name branding. I have purchased both of them in the past and they are identical. I also noticed a very similar filter setup on the oil tank for my furnace years ago. If memory serves correctly, someone else on this board put this style of filter on their parts washer. Go ahead and just use it. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1507/overview/ http://www.summitracing.com/parts/frm-hpg1/overview/

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/15/15 11:34 a.m.
ncjay wrote: Summit sells the exact same filter setup, so I'd hesitate to use the word "vintage". They sell the official Fram version for about $90 and a $35 version with no name branding.

I know they're still available (which is how I got the hotlink in the OP), but I'm saying the one that I have is vintage. At LEAST from the '80, but probably earlier. Totally different Fram logo, and the box is very, very old.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/15/15 12:35 p.m.

I was thinking this was about filtering the windshield washer tank and was very confused.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/15/15 1:01 p.m.

Haha! Sorry, parts washer tank. I guess I should have specified.

BTW, I guess that my filter isn't as vintage as I thought. I just looked and it's dated 1994. Whoops.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/15 1:16 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

You and me both!

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
2/15/15 3:10 p.m.

I tried a filter but they clogged very quickly. A series of fine screens would get most of the big stuff and using a setting tank works the best. What I do is drain my washer in 5 gal jugs and let it settle for a few days. The top 2-3 gallons get very clear by then. The fluid is amber but free of any visible dirt. Pulling the top 2-3 gallons of each jug and putting it back into the washer gives me fluid clean enough. In steps I end up with only one jug of fluid and then I can get almost 4 of the 5 gallons back into the washer. What's left over I dump into a pan and let dry in the garage and then dump the solid waste that's left.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
2/15/15 4:07 p.m.

Best filter type for parts washers is a bag on the drain side of the shelf. a filter on the outlet side of the pump will clog quickly as there to fine. A realy Safety Clean tank will have the bag in the drain they look like a Pope Hat.... if your using a HF unit you could drop the pump in to the bag filter. http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Plumbing-Pumps-Filtration/Filters-Accessories/Bag-Filter-Housings-Filters/Bag-Filters?navid=12104634

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
2/15/15 4:10 p.m.

oh adding a LARGE ring magnet helps a bunch too. Also adding a baffle plate so the fluid has to run over a wall to get to the pump helps settle out some heavier particles

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/15/15 7:09 p.m.

Our Safety Kleen 30 gal. parts washers at work have a coarse strainer (similar size holes to sink strainer) in the tub to barrel drain w/ a finer wire mesh strainer (pope hat like 44 said) below that. Considering the amount of E36 M3 we throw at it, it does a good job, the fine strainer needs emptied maybe once/ 2 weeks.

I tried a hydraulic bag filter when building mine but microns was too small. The link from 44 looks promising but don't go too fine a micron size.

Through trial and error I ended up just using a oil pump pick-up w/ screen adapted to the inlet of submersible Little Giant solvent pump (available at NAPA). I maintained 15-20 gals. solvent in 30 gal. grease drum and the pump pick-up is about a 1/4 to 1/3 below the fluid surface, never had a problem w/ it clogging. Solids will settle to the bottom of the drum, used to clean it once/ yr as a routine but really not necessary for periodic use. Gonna look into the filter bag link from 44, that should eliminate drum cleaning altogether.

Don't see why a oil or fuel filter would be necessary unless you have specific reasons. I'd prolly scrounge surplus sites for wire mesh pick-up strainers or build your own from wire mesh screen, pipe, tube, fittings etc.

just my .02

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/15 6:49 a.m.
EvanB wrote: I was thinking this was about filtering the windshield washer tank and was very confused.

I bought a washer pump recently where the rubber seal that goes around the filter inlet has a screen built into the end, so large objects won't go into the pump.

Combine with the Porsche anti-deadheading setup for ultimate windshield washer system overkill!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NgtbIhdBihzizqDwHKAubib33qLaFuENleDNjTVgn26T4d2A21ujSYVYvPtZwCo3