1 2 3
BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
11/20/11 1:57 p.m.

Today will be the last race that the NASCAR Sprint Cup series will use a carburetor. Next year they switch over to Fuel Injection.

Spray out a little carb cleaner for our homies the accelerator pump.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/20/11 2:04 p.m.

... or welcome to the 21st century

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/11 2:13 p.m.

Finally going to give watching golf or paint dry a run for its money. Go NASCAR!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/20/11 2:15 p.m.

I still think NASCAR should be limited to homologated engines and run a spec 87 octane fuel. Open it up to OHC/boost/whatever, but it has to be 50-state legal and run on crappy pump gas.

Car of Tomorrow is fine, just run a damn engine of today.

peter
peter Reader
11/20/11 2:25 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I still think NASCAR should be limited to homologated engines and run a spec 87 octane fuel. Open it up to OHC/boost/whatever, but it has to be 50-state legal and run on crappy pump gas. Car of Tomorrow is fine, just run a damn engine of today.

I'd rather see 'em race cars I can actually buy. Mostly because I'd actually watch at least a few laps of good ole boys driving FWD autotragic V6s that handle like my couch.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/20/11 2:31 p.m.

I think any mass-produced chassis is going to be a deathtrap to run at the speeds that keep viewers interested. At the amount of modification required to make it safe, may as well just run a tube frame with a production-like skin.

I'd love to see the homologation Camry that had to run a huge-power V8, though, hahaha.

Oh, and for the record, my definition of homologation here is not based on production, but registrations. You can't just build 500 copies, or even just sell 500 copies to collectors that put them in air-tight bags, you have to find 500 crazy bastards that will actually drive them on the street.

Yeah, I know, will never happen... but a man can dream.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/20/11 2:41 p.m.

http://www.nascar.com/news/111018/inside-nascar-fuel-injection-replaces-carburetor/index.html

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/20/11 2:51 p.m.

that's crazy talk. next you'll be telling us that they'll start turning right!

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
11/20/11 3:04 p.m.

Amen to that. Give them another decade and they might even discover center-lock wheels and on-board jacks!

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/20/11 3:05 p.m.
irish44j wrote: that's crazy talk. next you'll be telling us that they'll start turning right!

they do twice a year.. but NASCAR's roots and fanbase comes from the hundreds of circle tracks that dot the countryside in the USA, so that's what they run. don't like it, fine.. don't watch it.. but there's no need for people that don't like it to constantly bitch/whine/complain about it online every chance they get. i don't like F1 or Indycars, but i don't constantly bitch about how silly the cars look or how boring the racing is..

now i'm gonna sit back and watch the NASCAR championship get won by either Tony Stewart or Carl Edwards- hopefully in a last lap pass/crash/whatever coming out of turn 4..

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
11/20/11 3:10 p.m.

Time for dorks to be the key player in NASCAR.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/20/11 3:19 p.m.

Haven't found any info in search yet but I sure as hell hope they make it cockpit adjustable. Rich/ lean control oughta make races more interesting, especially the 'fuel mileage' races.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/20/11 3:23 p.m.

I'm actually disappointed. I don't watch NASCAR, nor care much for it, but I did respect them for making contact in group down the 180 mph straights and using a carburetor.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
11/20/11 3:52 p.m.
peter wrote: I'd rather see 'em race cars I can actually buy. Mostly because I'd actually watch at least a few laps of good ole boys driving FWD autotragic V6s that handle like my couch.

Isn't that Speed World Challenge?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/11 4:19 p.m.

Now Toyota's going to have to lay off all of those carburetor experts they needed to hire when they got into NASCAR.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/20/11 4:25 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: http://www.nascar.com/news/111018/inside-nascar-fuel-injection-replaces-carburetor/index.html

Lol-does this mean Holley will finally get that POS injection system to work well?

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/20/11 5:04 p.m.

Aussie V8 Challenge. That's what NASCAR should have been. Corners, air jacks, sequential trannys, and built on a real car. And some damn good racing.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/20/11 5:07 p.m.

Yawn....

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/20/11 5:08 p.m.

Stock car racing is now called World Challenge.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/20/11 5:27 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I'm actually disappointed. I don't watch NASCAR, nor care much for it, but I did respect them for making contact in group down the 180 mph straights and using a carburetor.

Don't be too sad I'm sure they are still running 1940's chevy truck rear suspension...

erohslc
erohslc Reader
11/20/11 6:24 p.m.

Says the man flogging a wagon at the autocross.

That suspension works damn well for the application. Do you have any idea what kind of G loading they make with that '1940's chevy truck rear suspension'? Don't get me wrong, I'm a dyed in the wool road racer. But one of my Stock car building friends set me straight. In F1 or any road race, they pull max G's for maybe a 2-4 seconds at a time. In NASCAR, they are pulling max G's throughout the whole time they are on the banks. In effect they are in a continuous 4 wheel drift all the freaking time at 200+ MPH. Those "good 'ole boys" know how to make a car handle

Go find the archives from Car & Driver, read about Patrick Bedard's foray into oval racing with NASCAR and Indycar. His comments about driving the car, car control, etc. should serve as a cautionary lesson to anyone talking NASCAR smack.

I agree that sometimes, as a spectator it's hard to appreciate the skill level needed to compete with those guys. The in-car camera tells a different tale, for those who are perceptive enough to appreciate what's going on.

Look at some guys (and gals) from other Road racing series that have tried NASCAR, and then let's talk: Jim Clark - Genius, would be good at at anything Nelson Piquet Jr,. Juan Pablo Montoya

Do it really matter whether the motor is carb'd or FI'd, as long as the rules promote competition? Does it matter if the wristpins are steel or titanium? Does it matter if the front suspension features negative scrub radius or not?

Get a grip, and acknowledge that these guys are fellow racers of the first magnitude.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/11 6:35 p.m.

I think some folks get confused about why they have a problem with NASCAR.

While you'll hear guys talking about oval racing being boring, lacking in skill, etc. You'll also hear some guys talking about how low tech it is considering they use older suspension designs and motors.

I believe the real gripe with NASCAR is that most of feel slightly conned. Smokey Yunick addressed some it when he talked about the high seat prices. The lack of weather protection for your average fan. Various other factors that NASCAR could address if they so chose.

Then we all know about The Nod. That's when NASCAR passes a car they know is in violation of the rules because "it's good for the show." Maybe my info is old as I haven't paid much attention to the CAR OF TOMORRRROOOWWW era.

Myself, I think NASCAR is full of sharp guys and talented racers. I'd like to see them run an uncorked and unregulated racing league. Wild Bill ran 200+ mph in the freakin' 80's! Low tech. At that speed who cares about the tech?! Let those cars and guys run. Let's see how this will go....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/20/11 6:55 p.m.

well.. I imagine the FI will help their economy some.. but honestly, I think they have tweaked the carb as far as they could

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/20/11 6:59 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Myself, I think NASCAR is full of sharp guys and talented racers. I'd like to see them run an uncorked and unregulated racing league. Wild Bill ran 200+ mph in the freakin' 80's! Low tech. At that speed who cares about the tech?! Let those cars and guys run. Let's see how this will go....

Yes he did. But the Daytona/Superbird did it in 1970.

And those were actually production based, like we're all asking for.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/20/11 6:59 p.m.
peter wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: I still think NASCAR should be limited to homologated engines and run a spec 87 octane fuel. Open it up to OHC/boost/whatever, but it has to be 50-state legal and run on crappy pump gas. Car of Tomorrow is fine, just run a damn engine of today.
I'd rather see 'em race cars I can actually buy. Mostly because I'd actually watch at least a few laps of good ole boys driving FWD autotragic V6s that handle like my couch.

I've been saying this for YEARS. Wanna see NASCAR win? Go down to Enterprise/Alamo/whatever. Get cars corresponding with the "cars" that the stock cars represent. Throw keys in a bowl... pull a set and go!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
42SAlJC7lCCY4z1TnH7vSsIdYA1S9TITns0XlzDXafKfBjYhuBvUXuynE1lQJEwN