aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/29/24 3:38 p.m.

Just ran across one.  I REALLY wish I knew these existed a while back.  Would have been very useful, especially with motorcycles and small motors.  Its a form-a-funnel.   There are a lot of knock off or versions of this, so I don't particularly want to push any brand / type (I suspect the cheaper versions are not a "formable").  Here is one of the examples (I think this one is on the larger side).  It lets you create a semi-ridged drain path for fluids.  So, for when some engineer decides to put the oil drain or oil filter right above a suspension part, this can direct it away.  Also useful obviously for creating a funnel for filling thing with no clear overhead.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/24 3:47 p.m.

Vessel Impacta. I never realized I'd spend $80 on 8 screwdrivers, but man, I'll never mangle a screw on a Japanese machine again. Those are not Phillips, they're JIS screws. Absolute Cadillacs.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/29/24 4:06 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I had one of those...  I think my ex- ended up with it after we split.  I'll need to get another one.  It's definitely one of those tools that you don't always need, but when you do it's a godsend... 

j_tso
j_tso Dork
8/29/24 8:24 p.m.

Another car buddy told me about Tite-Reach years ago, finally found a reason to get one this year.

Heater core hose clamps behind the dash have enough room to get a ratchet on but not enough room to turn it.

No photo description available.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/29/24 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Ive been thinking about getting a set of JIS's.  A question I have...is the straight screwdrivers that came with this Vessel set any better than other straights?  Vessel (and others) sell just JIS sets.  

$20 set

or $30 set

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
8/29/24 9:48 p.m.

For flat screwdrivers, I like Grace gunsmithing set.

Most flatheads have a chisel tip, and when you twist the pointed part of the tip acts like a ramp and they ride up on the screw and slide out.

Gunsmithing screwdrivers, similar to hollow ground, have parallel ground tips so they dont have any ramp.  As a result no lifting action when you turn them.

They are slightly more fragile as that ramp imparts some strength, but Grace has a lifetime warranty.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007075186?pid=621146

Chapman also makes a decent hollow ground.  If you need to impart any measure of torque,, gunsmithing or hollow ground all the way

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/29/24 9:50 p.m.

Can you folks explain the value of JIS over Phillips?  Is is primarily better tolerances or higher quality steel?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/29/24 10:05 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

A physically different design... 

...but Phillips was popular in the US so we tend to use Phillips even on a JIS which doesn't really fit correctly... 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/24 10:27 p.m.

Japanese motorcycles and cars tend to have JIS screws.

Before I learned about JIS screwdrivers, I had a heck of a time trying to work on Japanese carburetors.  On one Nikki, I gave up and replaced all of the screws with Allen head screws.

Now I know better.  Thanks GRM.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/29/24 11:07 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Ive been thinking about getting a set of JIS's.  A question I have...is the straight screwdrivers that came with this Vessel set any better than other straights?  Vessel (and others) sell just JIS sets.  

$20 set

or $30 set

Not sure whether the flat blade screwdrivers are shaped any differently than anyone else's, but Vessel stuff is pretty dang nice.

If you can justify it - and I'm a complete cheapskate, but I can absolutely justify it - spend a little more and get the Impacta series. The ones with silver handles have impact drivers built right into the handle. You can buy the set Appleseed posted, from some equally highly recommended people, right here.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/29/24 11:51 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

The important thing to remember is with the impacta, you can smack the head with a hammer and the bit/shaft will turn 12 deg.

While I have yet to need this feature, there will come a time that I will and be glad I spent the few extra bucks.

spandak
spandak Dork
8/30/24 12:55 a.m.

I bought one Vessel for working on an old Honda CB we had for a while. Whatever the middle of the road size is. 

I use it for everything including philips. It just works. It's the first screw driver I reach for (unless it's a flat head of course). 

This thread might cost me money. 

gsettle
gsettle Reader
8/30/24 8:54 a.m.

TIL about JIS

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/30/24 12:07 p.m.

If you live in the rust belt, channel lock 410's.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/30/24 3:59 p.m.

Plastic pry bar/ trim tools.

How many dollars of mangled trim plates and fasteners did I need to compile before I discovered these cheap beauties? You should not be anywhere near your dash with a flat blade screwdriver.  Not when these are $9 at Hazard Fraught.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/24 4:33 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to GTwannaB :

A physically different design... 

...but Phillips was popular in the US so we tend to use Phillips even on a JIS which doesn't really fit correctly... 

The effect is that JIS drivers don't cam out the way that Phillips ones do. You can apply a lot more torque. They work much better on JIS screws, of course, but also on Phillips.

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
8/30/24 4:51 p.m.

I bought some JIS screwdrivers to work on my 240Z - were they using JIS in 1972?  Not sure but I strip out less screws......

Here's a rabbit trail for ya.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

j_tso
j_tso Dork
9/1/24 2:35 p.m.
gsettle said:

TIL about JIS

James May all about them:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/24 3:18 p.m.

In reply to j_tso :

I love that series. It's just James May showing that he really is who you think he is, as he putters and provides interesting information. I now use the longest screwdriver I can because of it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/1/24 3:33 p.m.

Earlier this weekend I ordered the $20 JIS set. The impact version sounds cool but working a Prius I can't think of any fasteners in JIS that would withstand an impact.  My use will be interior bits and plastic to metal light headlight assemblies. 

I was ordering a few other things via Amazon so I pulled the trigger on the JISs also. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5L6igUUsVr90PFIZH1aJDIhEzawIvDHIyeZHZODY8u0vVUSd1JykbGUl00mHqV9e