1 2 3 4
twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
12/23/14 2:44 p.m.

Correction. Here are the actual prices. Regular $2.15 and Diesel $3.35 - 56% jump. Lowest prices in my area according to the web are $2.15 regular and $2.75 diesel - a 28% bump.

Wacky times for sure. Sounds like a 30% bump for diesel is closer to the norm.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/23/14 2:58 p.m.

Diesel is always much more expensive in comparison to gas in winter (compared to the "normal" more expensive). Winterizing additives... heating oil sales... During the Summer, diesel prices here are fairly close to super unleaded. Considerably cheaper in NJ, but relatively the same in PA as well.

Since entering the diesel world in 2003, the only time diesel was cheaper was right after Katrina. Gas prices tripled and diesel barely moved. It was wierd, but it was a nice time to be driving a diesel. I probably could have sold my car used for more than I paid for it new at the time.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
12/23/14 3:12 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde: Another alternative which is the one I took. Buy a bigger boat with a pair of diesels & put it in the water. Then commute in whatever you want.
I really saw good payback sell-price, fuel-cost, longevity, & increased cruising speed for a pair of diesels in my boats. And when I got to where I was going, I didn't need to look for a room,

twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos Reader
12/23/14 3:17 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: With extremely rare exceptions, diesel is ALWAYS the cheaper fuel choice in terms of cents per mile of fuel. I challenge anyone to dispute that using apples-apples comparisons.

Jetta TDI - 42 mpg highway

Here are the gasoline equivalents depending on the gasoline/diesel spread:

20% spread - 35 mpg (pretty much every car in the class)

30% spread - 32.5 mpg

40% spread - 30 mpg

50% spread - 28 mpg

Pickups are a little closer.

Dodge 3.0 Diesel 28 mpg highway

20% spread - 23.5 mpg (EcoBoost 2.7 and 3.5) - Silverado 5.3 is 23 mpg

30% spread - 21.5 mpg (most new trucks in the class hit this mark)

40% spread - 20 mpg

50% spread - 18.7 mpg

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/23/14 6:00 p.m.

I'm looking at a '14 Ram- I think these are pretty much apples to apples.

Can get crew cab Big Horn Hemi for lets say $33k. Diesel adds $2500, but realistically more than $5k. They simply aren't putting them in the lower models- or rarely are. Hemi gets 15/21 vs 19/27 (both 4wd). 30% reduction from diesel is 14/19. Does that math work? I agree that resale is going to be better with diesel, but for the roughly $5k difference in purchase, I think it's a wash. And I'd get to drive a truck with 400 hp vice 240.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/23/14 7:17 p.m.
twolittlebroncos wrote:
curtis73 wrote: With extremely rare exceptions, diesel is ALWAYS the cheaper fuel choice in terms of cents per mile of fuel. I challenge anyone to dispute that using apples-apples comparisons.
Jetta TDI - 42 mpg highway Here are the gasoline equivalents depending on the gasoline/diesel spread: 20% spread - 35 mpg (pretty much every car in the class) 30% spread - 32.5 mpg 40% spread - 30 mpg 50% spread - 28 mpg Pickups are a little closer. Dodge 3.0 Diesel 28 mpg highway 20% spread - 23.5 mpg (EcoBoost 2.7 and 3.5) - Silverado 5.3 is 23 mpg 30% spread - 21.5 mpg (most new trucks in the class hit this mark) 40% spread - 20 mpg 50% spread - 18.7 mpg

Who only gets 42 out of a TDI? The two I had for work you couldn't get less than 47 if you tried. And a new 5.3L won't break over 20 even with a tailwind.

Are you using EPA numbers, or actual reported numbers? Cuz EPA is kinda way off on many vehicles.

but still... you accepted the challenge nicely. I shall regroup sneaks away behind sinister cape

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/23/14 7:21 p.m.

Ecodiesel Ram 1500 gets closest of anything.

Im glad someone mentioned the tax issue with diesel fuel. It's not the ONLY issue, but it's worth mentioning.

I just watched a ~15min vid of the 3.6 Colorado/Canyon towing ~5600 lbs and the consensus of the reviewers was that its stated rating of 7k was optimistic/dangerous based on how it performed with the tested load. But, they did do a lot of high speed driving in E36 M3ty conditions where i would have probably gone 20-30mph slower. I think your 'real' towing rating goes up the more cautious/paranoid/slow you are when towing. For me that means an ecodiesel ram can probably tow 12000 lbs.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/23/14 9:10 p.m.

I wear a size 34 waist and the LTZ Colorado's full power seats cut in so much in the back that the plastic hits my butt.

I thought I was crazy at first but I talked to the sales manager and he said the back of the seat bottoms are narrow. Apparently most people don't sit square back in a seat.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/23/14 11:04 p.m.

Give VIA another five years and they may have their trucks sorted and fully up for sale to the public. If they offer a 3/4 or 1 ton, you might have your truck.

Or, you know, a big truck and an Insight.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/24/14 2:32 p.m.

One of the things talked about in the Colorado/Canyon review i mentioned was that they couldnt figure out how you could actually tow 7k while having a proper tongue weight and not exceeding the vehicle's own payload capacity even with no passengers.

For a forum full of people who are afraid of getting sued over tow ratings, i figure someone might actually care about that.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/24/14 2:49 p.m.

Neighbor of mine had a F-250 Ford--2008-ish model. At first I was jealous--he had a nice "new" diesel so he was going to get good mileage. Truck was very nice inside--King Ranch, nice seats and stuff, but the best he could manage was 11-12 mpg empty. Over the next year or so, the thing nickel-and-dimed him to death, except it was $500 and $1000. a fix--most of it related to the diesel. He had nothing but trouble with it. Traded it on a newer F-150.

I don't know if it's changed recently, but 3/4 and 1-ton trucks never used to carry EPA mileage numbers. You hear about people getting over 20 mpg, but I think most of them are internet boasting.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/24/14 2:52 p.m.
Mike wrote: Give VIA another five years and they may have their trucks sorted and fully up for sale to the public. If they offer a 3/4 or 1 ton, you might have your truck. Or, you know, a big truck and an Insight.

That's pretty cool. I don't like the "405hp" claim (because it's total bullE36 M3), but a ~240hp electric motor is enough. The reason you can't add the v6 power to the electric, is because they can't be additive- the v6 is just a generator. Regardless, the electric provides enough power to get around just fine, and Lutz is right- these are the vehicles wherein a 10MPG increase will make the greatest difference. I'll be following this.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/24/14 2:58 p.m.

those are pretty damn cool. I can see a future where you charge up your truck, fill up the gas tank for the generator, then hook up your camper. Tow camper into the middle of nowhere, then hook your camper up to the power output module of the truck. Run the onboard generator to power the camper for the weekend, top off the fuel tank with a jerry can and tow home.

I like it!

kb58
kb58 Dork
12/24/14 7:18 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: A coworker bought a new 6 cyl ford ecoboost and says he is only getting 14-15 mpg combined.

With a mix of freeway and city, I'm right at 19.3 mpg with the same truck, so maybe he's all city driving?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/24/14 7:28 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: those are pretty damn cool. I can see a future where you charge up your truck, fill up the gas tank for the generator, then hook up your camper. Tow camper into the middle of nowhere, then hook your camper up to the power output module of the truck. Run the onboard generator to power the camper for the weekend, top off the fuel tank with a jerry can and tow home. I like it!

Right? I hadn't considered this- no generator, cause it's in your truck. Cool idea. And I do love the idea of it being able to power your house.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/24/14 7:54 p.m.

I just got a 2014 Ram quad cab with a gas V6. I'm seeing about 21-22 mpg with about 85% highway. Not sure if this info helps anyone, but I love the truck! As purchased: After adding a 1.5" front spring lift and some factory 20"s for $200 from CL:

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/27/14 12:35 p.m.

I didnt know how enthusiastic i was about those 3.6/8spd rams until i drove one.

I like the idea of the Ecodiesel 3.0 a LOT. But in all actuality, if i was to buy a current body style ram i would buy the 3.6L gas. I loved it!

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/27/14 2:26 p.m.

This might be one of those cases where V10 TDI Touraeg is the answer : http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=19030&endYear=2015&modelCode1=TOUAREG&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=VOLKS&searchRadius=100&showcaseListingId=0&trim1=TOUAREG%7CV10+TDI&mmt=%5BVOLKS%5BTOUAREG%5BTOUAREG%257CV10%2BTDI%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=382320758&Log=0

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/14 2:39 p.m.

It pains me to admit I would love to try a Touraeg.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/28/14 10:38 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: those are pretty damn cool. I can see a future where you charge up your truck, fill up the gas tank for the generator, then hook up your camper. Tow camper into the middle of nowhere, then hook your camper up to the power output module of the truck. Run the onboard generator to power the camper for the weekend, top off the fuel tank with a jerry can and tow home. I like it!

Agreed, I would love to see Roadtrek or someone upfit the van as a class B.

Properly wired, you could charge your traction battery from RV shore power or J1772. You could run your RV stuff off an EVSE. Effectively, you'd increase your shore power and your vehicle charging options by making EV stations and RV parks interchangeable.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/28/14 11:28 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
curtis73 wrote: If you can pony up for diesel, it will always pay off in resale. Forget the cost of fuel and MPG, net money back in your pocket diesel always wins.
Except.... with a higher buy in, it BETTER have better resale...

Then you should REALLY like diesels...Because for the vast majority of new vehicles on the road, higher buy in really just means higher depreciation.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
12/29/14 7:19 a.m.
Driven5 wrote:
Chris_V wrote:
curtis73 wrote: If you can pony up for diesel, it will always pay off in resale. Forget the cost of fuel and MPG, net money back in your pocket diesel always wins.
Except.... with a higher buy in, it BETTER have better resale...
Then you should REALLY like diesels...Because for the vast majority of new vehicles on the road, higher buy in really just means higher depreciation.

if you buy a diesel for $16k and in 5 years it's worth $10k, vs buying a gasser for $10k and 5 years later it's worth $5k, did you really save money buy buying the more expensive truck? No. Which is why I went from diesel to gas. My current tow rig will be cheaper to own, even with resale factored in.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
12/29/14 9:01 a.m.

My brother has a V6 gas Ram. He has gotten 27-28 on the highway with it. Now, he drives AT the speed limit or possibly under a bit. So that means 70-75mph tops. But still

If you compare the numbers and drop his, and give a nod to the EcoDiesel, it will never pay for itself. The Calcs I did put the gas at around 9.5 cents a mile and the Diesel at about 10 cents. Then, the payoff as KBB shows is only about a 3500 premium which its new and could adjust. The buy in is $4200.

So, it will always cost you to have a diesel. If you tow enough, then it may make sense. If you don't, well its up to you. And that is with the diesel Tariff in TX. I know some areas, diesel costs near equal that of gas.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/29/14 4:32 p.m.
This might be one of those cases where V10 TDI Touraeg is the answer

I know a guy who owned one. During the time he owned it, his aftermarket extended warranty paid out $27,000 in repairs. He liked it while he had it, only because the warranty saved his ass. He now has a modded ecoboost Explorer.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/30/14 9:46 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Local prices today:

Unleaded $1.87

Diesel $3.23

It wont EVER make sense at that price differential. My diesel is parked for a while.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0fiP0ORODbP1xE5B1mSySasv44WFrVRcUDmukNnnHtoie9Ib4pbLvL3odlxN3lxA