3/22/10 9:00 p.m.

http://www.studiotimecapsule.com/aluminum_fabrication

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/10 9:16 p.m.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/10 9:19 p.m.

WOW!! I wish I had that kind of ability.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
3/22/10 9:22 p.m.

I LOVE the mattress for tilting the car on its side. So simple yet I'd never thought of it.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/22/10 9:24 p.m.

The 2000 GT is one of my new favorite cars. I want to build a full carbon one with a 2J....

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/22/10 9:26 p.m.

OK, this is the 2nd thread today of people with mad skills building full cars.

I loved the 2000GT when it first came out, but it hasn't aged well. It is amazing how much it looks like a 240Z, except the Z is more civilized and realistic. Kinda the difference between a show car and a production car.

I hadn't realized that utilized a backbone frame. Now I've got to waste more time trying to google better pics of the frame.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
3/22/10 9:43 p.m.

Wow, that guy has some serious talent, and patience, to build an all-aluminum 2000GT!

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
3/22/10 9:45 p.m.

i feel like a no-ability loser now....thanks.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
3/22/10 9:48 p.m.

Wow

Gotta say I love everything except the hood vents. They don't accent the body lines at all.

That guy is amazing.

Shawn

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
3/22/10 9:54 p.m.

wow, to have the time to take on such a project

pete240z
pete240z Dork
3/22/10 10:07 p.m.
irish44j wrote: i feel like a no-ability loser now....thanks.

my thought too. man, I suck.

this guy rocks.....

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/22/10 10:33 p.m.

Wow! I wish Toyota had been more confident/pro-active/whatever with their racing activities back then..does anyone else see an aluminium 2000GT knocking heads with the lightweight E-Type Jags/etc. back in the day?

And yes, witnessing those fabrication skills makes me cry like a little girl. I am nothing but a weakling of a "parts changer".

EDIT: Did a little looking around on that website, the guy also restored the 2000GT once owned by 60s pop icon "Twiggy" (the fashion model). That car is in the Toyota museum in Torrence, CA.

http://www.studiotimecapsule.com/restoration_of_twiggys_toyota_2000gt

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/22/10 10:54 p.m.

he is the same guy (Shin Yoshikawa) that draws these!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/22/10 10:55 p.m.

He has hundreds of them!

Rufledt
Rufledt Reader
3/22/10 11:06 p.m.

wow. just, wow.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
3/22/10 11:31 p.m.

2000GTs are the most beautiful car Toyota has ever made or will ever make. Period.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster New Reader
3/23/10 12:12 a.m.

My favorite shot was when he just had the roof channels tacked on without panels. Looks like he could have stopped there and called it art.

The amount of welding required is almost as amazing as the panel beating skills.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
3/23/10 7:38 a.m.

i looked at the whole website and am blown away.........(words cannot describe.......)

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/10 7:52 a.m.

You've got to love a guy who tried to buy a Lotus from Sochiro Honda and whose first two purchases in the US were a piano and a Lotus Elite.

That work on the Twiggy 2000GT is pretty impressive, too.

I just hope that some of these amazing craftsmen are passing their skills on to the younger generations. It would be a pity if they were lost.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/23/10 7:57 a.m.

Anybody know what the yellow car in the background is?

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
3/23/10 8:02 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Wow! I wish Toyota had been more confident/pro-active/whatever with their racing activities back then..does anyone else see an aluminium 2000GT knocking heads with the lightweight E-Type Jags/etc. back in the day? And yes, witnessing those fabrication skills makes me cry like a little girl. I am nothing but a weakling of a "parts changer". EDIT: Did a little looking around on that website, the guy also restored the 2000GT once owned by 60s pop icon "Twiggy" (the fashion model). That car is in the Toyota museum in Torrence, CA. http://www.studiotimecapsule.com/restoration_of_twiggys_toyota_2000gt

Carrol Shelby raced them, not him personally, but his team. They did OK, but were up against 911's so had a long hill to climb. Originally BRE was supposed to get the contract but it went to Shelby instead...and the rest is history as they say.

As a 240Z owner, I lust after a 2000GT. It's a lot more "exotic" than the Z, and at least if the single one I've seen in the flesh (it's very small by the way, smaller than the Z), it's better put together as well. Since it cost more than the Porsche new, that's a good thing!

Awesome skills by the way!

BoxheadTim
3/23/10 8:02 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Anybody know what the yellow car in the background is?

It's a Matra Murena. Another car on my "want" list, but they're quite hard to find in the UK.

Mid-engined sports car, fibreglass panelling on a galvanised frame. Seats three across the car.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/23/10 8:06 a.m.

Oh my.... the nose of that thing is PERFECT.

Thanks!

BoxheadTim
3/23/10 8:08 a.m.

There was one for sale not far from where I live that someone had fitted with a Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI engine. I found out about that a couple of days after it sold

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/10 9:39 a.m.

Jesus, did they translate that website into Russian before putting it in English?

Awesome amount of work for a car that technically can not be registered.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jLBLFbsDbdrTBDGlpb0eW5avNf20UGFh2g0GLYP3VgOuXr9nGYIshrmvMEvzEMCd