1 2
confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
6/24/09 9:34 p.m.

I like how there are a bunch of people talking about this tire article. It's like a group of people having a spirited debate in a room. Meanwhile, you have two guys over in the corner arguing, getting louder and louder. Soon there will be a fistfight.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
6/24/09 9:44 p.m.

I remember a year or two ago when I was at an autocross event in the rain. It wasn't just damp, it was pouring! The folks who brought slicks ran them and boy did they turn some fast times! A few even switched over to the R comps after running on their street tires. They saw the success of the others and decided to join in. They even improved their times!

I wouldn't even see the point of testing a tire's ability to go through standing water. What is a 1/3 inch tread going to do to a 2 inch deep puddle? Right, nothing. We've all aimed for those puddle (to make "bat waves" as my parents used to call them). We all know we have no grip at all when we're doing that to that tire too.

I'm not worried. This stuff gets hyped up on the intrawebz and people go crazy. Then it quietly goes away. It's like all those rumors of apocalypse during the Y2K scare. And the worst that happened when the year 2000 hit was the release of "Little Nicky". Why do they keep letting Adam Sandler make movies?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/24/09 11:23 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: California?

And we have a weiner Yup, that's how things work in part of the US. We have met the enemy, and they is us.

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
6/25/09 6:48 a.m.

Too many laws, gentlemen.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/25/09 7:20 a.m.
Keith wrote:
maroon92 wrote: California?
And we have a weiner Yup, that's how things work in part of the US. We have met the enemy, and they is us.

Yeah, I've pointed out the inequities in California emissions laws before. (FWIW, New York state is very similar.) On another board, there was a guy with a '95 Subaru which had a MIL for a P0720 catalyst efficiency code. It appears this vehicle was made in a narrow time window (about 8 months) where there was a 'hybrid' OBD II system for California only. This code requires replacement of the catalysts which are no longer manufactured by Subaru. An aftermarket cat will have the car passing the sniffer in no time, but aftermarket cats are not allowed under CARB laws even if the OE unit is no longer available (IIRC, the only exception is if the car is over 25 years old). So this perfectly good car is sitting in the guy's yard, can't drive it, can't sell it.

So we hear that at various times Congress has considered adopting CARB standards across the country. Don't underestimate them; it could happen. Not to mention they have in the past considered adopting European standards or a mix of the two. Don't take my word for it, look it up yourself.

You know, I don't really have any quibble with emissions laws, they definitely cleaned up the air. There needs to be some semblance of common sense, though.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/09 8:31 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I'm not worried. This stuff gets hyped up on the intrawebz and people go crazy. Then it quietly goes away.

Then it quietly comes back after the hype wears off.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GjxUT2n6tpIUplInAGbQg03MQtVTLThHXckrQVbyDGdfVW44AjI8zCQmNsOReAaE