1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/27/21 11:00 a.m.

I've been on the fence for a while about this. My 2020 Si isn't a bad car at all. It's just an appliance now, there is no visceral raucous feel like some of the previous generations provided. It get's great MPGs, it has smooth linear power which is nice on the highway, it has a great sound system, the shifter is smooth as butter; BUT, it puts me asleep. 

Test drove a Veloster N and it hit's all those warm and fuzzies that my old 8th Gen Si gave me and it has me really considering one. 

Does anyone have experience with the Veloster N, anything negative or positive to say? 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/21 11:18 a.m.

Had a 20 for 18k miles.  The drivers door is like 6 feet long and makes getting in and out in tight spaces a pain.  the interior is ok, nothing special though my WRX has a much nicer interior. though 21's get the new nice seat option.  Its still just a hyundai so they depreciate hard.  

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/27/21 2:22 p.m.

I'd be morbidly curious to see how big a financial bath you'd take in getting rid of a 1 year old car.  Betting on about a 15% hit.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/21 2:28 p.m.

I like both of these cars and 100% agree on how you feel about the civic and i totally get the interest in moving to the N.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/27/21 2:35 p.m.

I keep hearing the same thing about both cars. THe Civic is great, but almost Camry-esque. The N is quirky but full of life and fun. May not be the fastest on the block but is likely the one to make you smile the most

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/27/21 4:56 p.m.

My 2020 Civic Si is relatively refined, but not as much as my wife's 2014 Accord.  Neither are as numb as my co-worker's 2017 Camry by a long shot. 

Anotehr point of comparisn - in some ways, the Si is more refined than the 2011 GTI it replaced (sophistication of the electronics, shifter feel and smoothness, the fact that is has a real limited slip vs. an electronic version), but in other ways less so (more hard plastic vs. soft touch interior materials, flexibility of the engine over a wider range  of revs).  All that said, it was a good trade 'up'.

No clue on the Hyundai - have not driven one yet.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/27/21 6:01 p.m.

There's a pilot in OKC who has a year old, 2500 mile Veloster N without the performance package for sale for $24,000 but it's not that blue color?  Something to get and find some tuning thingie to bump up the HP?  What say the hive?  

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/oklahoma-city-2020-hyundai-veloster/7254597115.html

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/21 6:11 p.m.

The drivers door suuuuuuucks.  4 door would be much better.  I don't trust Hyundai's warranty at all.

Everything else about the car seems great.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/27/21 8:09 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

There's a pilot in OKC who has a year old, 2500 mile Veloster N without the performance package for sale for $24,000 but it's not that blue color?  Something to get and find some tuning thingie to bump up the HP?  What say the hive?  

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/oklahoma-city-2020-hyundai-veloster/7254597115.html

Do NOT get that vehicle without the performance package. You're giving up so so much. I say NAY (to that one). 

mdshaw
mdshaw Reader
1/27/21 8:47 p.m.

IMO- Another big issue comparing Japanese & Korean cars is the supply of great motors & transmissions for Japanese cars IF you have a nice Japanese car you want to keep long term. 
Is the Korean engineering & build quality up to par with Japanese?

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
1/27/21 10:53 p.m.

I love mine, it carries stuff, hauls my kid, and is lots of fun at the track.  Like was mentioned earlier, the only thing I don't like is the three-door setup.  I get it, that's the Veloster's quirk, but I'd rather have four useable doors.  All else being equal, I may sell/trade in another year or so for the Elantra N...  same drivetrain and performance but as a sedan. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms Reader
1/28/21 5:36 a.m.

If you can wait, the Elantra N isnt far out and will help "cure" some of the oddities of the Veloster N such as the doors and space.

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/28/21 6:09 a.m.

I looked at both and got the 2020 Civic Si.  I am also not a fan of the asymmetric doors either.  I read some N's have issues with rough starts and misaligned shifter cables when I was looking.  Not sure if it was limited to a few cars or not.  I probably would have gotten the Elantra or Kona N if it was out at the time.  I was also driving an 8th gen Si for a few months before getting in to the 2020.  That was quite an adjustment.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/21 7:51 a.m.

I have a friend with a brand new Veloster N and a CTR. While the civic is certainly faster overall, he claims the velocity or is more fun to drive

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/28/21 8:00 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

If you can wait, the Elantra N isnt far out and will help "cure" some of the oddities of the Veloster N such as the doors and space.

They are only doing a sedan, right? I  think that fixes the 3 door issue, but it eliminates the hatch, which despite its weird opening is still quite useful and has much more cargo space than the sedan.  The N can carry an extra set of wheels and tires to a track day probably a lot easier than an Elantra can.

Also, the Elantra is 18" (!) longer than the Veloster

IMO, they need to just make the left side a mirror of the right side. to start with.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/21 8:15 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

I have a friend with a brand new Veloster N and a CTR. While the civic is certainly faster overall, he claims the velocity or is more fun to drive

I keep hearing the same thing over and over. I need to find someone to let me play with theirs

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/21 8:18 a.m.
mdshaw said:

IMO- Another big issue comparing Japanese & Korean cars is the supply of great motors & transmissions for Japanese cars IF you have a nice Japanese car you want to keep long term. 
Is the Korean engineering & build quality up to par with Japanese?

Above. At least reliability and durability. Do they offer a K20/K24 equivalent? No. Do they offer good products that are just as fun? Yes.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
1/28/21 8:21 a.m.
MrChaos said:

Had a 20 for 18k miles.  The drivers door is like 6 feet long and makes getting in and out in tight spaces a pain.  the interior is ok, nothing special though my WRX has a much nicer interior. though 21's get the new nice seat option.  Its still just a hyundai so they depreciate hard.  

What did you replace it with, a WRX? What drove this?  I see you had an ND previously. ND and Veloster N are both on my short list, ND as a weekend car and Veloster N as a replacement fun daily driver.  I am not rushing to get rid of the m3 but if it starts becoming an expensive modern BMW I think I will move into something smaller lighter and cheaper.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/28/21 12:24 p.m.
turtl631 said:
MrChaos said:

What did you replace it with, a WRX? What drove this?  I see you had an ND previously. ND and Veloster N are both on my short list, ND as a weekend car and Veloster N as a replacement fun daily driver.  I am not rushing to get rid of the m3 but if it starts becoming an expensive modern BMW I think I will move into something smaller lighter and cheaper. miles

I was commuting 80 miles a day and i went smart with an Avalon Hybrid, then the pandemic happened and we are going to go to wfh 3+ days a week now once the pandemic is over so i didnt need the gas mileage.  My land cruiser was acting up and I needed something with AWD so i went with the only Manual AWD turbo car sold under 30k so that is why i have the WRX.  I also have Automotive ADHD like many here.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
1/28/21 12:41 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

I just sold my 2010 GTI and am looking into moving into a 10th gen Si, I just wish thaat you could get them in a hatchback like the Sport and the Type R. The Veloster was on the short list but I really want a 4 door car. 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/28/21 7:10 p.m.

A few people have swapped the si transmission in to their hatches to get the lsd 

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/21 10:45 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
kevinatfms said:

They are only doing a sedan, right? I  think that fixes the 3 door issue, but it eliminates the hatch, which despite its weird opening is still quite useful and has much more cargo space than the sedan.  The N can carry an extra set of wheels and tires to a track day probably a lot easier than an Elantra can.

That's actually super surprising that the dimensions are so different. If they release the Elantra N with heated/cooled seats (like the press cars they gave out had) I will most likely be picking one up. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/29/21 12:16 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

IMO, they need to just make the left side a mirror of the right side. to start with.

Dude that would be an awesome car. 

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
1/29/21 1:06 p.m.
goingnowherefast said:
ProDarwin said:
kevinatfms said:

That's actually super surprising that the dimensions are so different. If they release the Elantra N with heated/cooled seats (like the press cars they gave out had) I will most likely be picking one up. 

The lack of heated steering wheel and seats in US Veloster N is pretty disappointing.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/29/21 1:18 p.m.

In reply to turtl631 :

and then we'd be complaining because its "so heavy!"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OqembQhl13u0guiYOVyhgeVEZ18kuLRqGkc51CW0qsoSIgYB59573mRURfW7bGs4