1 2
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/17/09 12:07 a.m.

There are legit reasons to do this. Can't tell from the pics if any of them are in play, or if it's just bling.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
6/17/09 3:42 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: There are legit reasons to do this. Can't tell from the pics if any of them are in play, or if it's just bling.

Care to expand that thought?

FindlaySpeedMan
FindlaySpeedMan New Reader
6/17/09 3:55 p.m.

The only really, truly legit reason I can think of for something like this would be suspension travel. Say I wanted to rally this car, I could use a setup like this to get me 8 inches of travel instead of the stock 3 or 4. However he's got little piddly motorcycle shocks, so obviously that ain't what he's after.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
6/17/09 3:57 p.m.

There are legit reasons to use an inboard/remote coilover setup....but not in this case, IMO. The biggest reason is usually packaging. Another one is to change motion ratios. I think this one is just to look cool and use some coilovers with lots of adjustments built in that are cheap and easily obtained.

Bryce

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/17/09 4:34 p.m.

There are legit reasons like Dave says. Aeros, reducing unsprung weight, mass centralization, allowing more room for brake ducting and driveshafts etc, the list could go on for a while. I'm not seeing it as a positive thing in this situation, though.

I bet it's tough to seal the pushrods where they come through the original shock towers. I wouldn't want to hit a puddle.

The lack of a center support concerns me too. If there were a bar across the top to make the whole thing a trangle, that would be better but still iffy in my book.

I also see a lot of weight moved higher in the car, that tubing would have to be pretty thick to be able to handle the loads without flexing like chewing gum.

Bottom line: mad tyte ricer dorifto bling, yO.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla New Reader
6/18/09 3:32 p.m.

There's a guy with an AE86 autox car thats done the very same set-up,I questioned the owner and he said it reduced unsprung weight(heavy axle already in these cars so simply losing a shock and spring would be a pretty small percentage I'd think)and that he could change springs easier.Stock spring location in the corolla makes them pretty damn easy to change already versus unbolting the shocks to get the springs out. Dunno but it seems like a fair bit of fabrication for not much improvement.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NbiZyjtDllDvDlP6GO5oHbutERBsBkL390g0m3rGhADdBP9GIG2Xt7lWEPw2IcdY