Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/6/18 9:06 a.m.

Image result for bentley continental gt on track

Bentley GT.  One can dream.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
4/6/18 9:16 a.m.

Thanks for the feedback. By classic, I was using a broader definition; doesn't have to be old just ticks all the right boxes and feels right. Highly subjective, I know.

I think I really need to start shopping the newest, best condition M3 I can find at a price I want to pay. I also need to drive the WRX, the Type R, and maybe the Infiniti and Lexus sport sedans.

Jeff

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/6/18 9:20 a.m.

Mazda RX-7.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/mazda-spirit/rx-7-heaven/

2000 and newer?  Hard to beat the bang-for-the-buck of Corvette.

4 seats?  Something by BMW.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
4/6/18 10:19 a.m.
tr8todd said:

Triumph TR8 coupe.  Most satisfying car I have ever driven, and I've driven too many  "drivers" to count.

Second this.  I test drove one when new, but couldn't quite afford it.  Ended up with a TR7 instead.  Not exactly the same, but it at least it looked like one. angry  TR8s are highly underrated.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/6/18 11:11 a.m.

CTS-V with a manual. I don't especially car for the auto cars but both the first and second gen cars are engaging and fun day to day. Both are more sledgehammers than the scalpels being discussed but, especially the second gen, are fantastic GT cars. First gens seem to be right around $10k on the lower end and second gens are sub $30k. 

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/6/18 11:26 a.m.

3rd gen Camaro/Firebird. The later G92 cars were the best of the bunch. Fun to drive and felt more ressponsive than the Fox Mustang.

The 4gen cars are better on paper and are faster, but don't seem to be as fun to drive.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
4/6/18 11:56 a.m.

One of my favorite inexpensive driver's cars, the '98-00 SVT Contour. I had a '99 for a few years and it was quite impressive. Sounded great, rotated easily, was well balanced, comfortable for the drive from Seattle to Baltimore, and looked good, to boot.

'99 was the best year as it had all the suspension and engine up grades, and yet hadn't been discontented like the 2000s.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/6/18 12:37 p.m.

EM1 Civic Si (part of me regrets selling mine but I like my 93 more)

BlueInGreen44 - Jon
BlueInGreen44 - Jon SuperDork
4/6/18 3:04 p.m.

The SVT Focus is a future classic in my mind but my mind is a strange place sometimes.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/6/18 3:37 p.m.

I also go with the R53 MINI, but I own one, so I'm biased. 

Civic Type R, Frisbee Twins, WRX, Golf R, Focus RS, Mustang GT, Camaro - we really do have an overload of choices when it comes to driver's cars these days.

8valve
8valve Reader
4/6/18 3:54 p.m.

If we're limited to 2000+ 4drs, I had a 03 e39 that drove well, but definitely heavier and less communicative than a true "driver's car" in my mind.   I think they just get further from it the newer you go. 

Saron81
Saron81 New Reader
4/6/18 3:56 p.m.

I’m surprised I haven’t seen Rabbit GTI, or Fiesta ST posted yet!

Those are darn fun front drivers!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/18 4:05 p.m.
8valve said:

If we're limited to 2000+ 4drs, I had a 03 e39 that drove well, but definitely heavier and less communicative than a true "driver's car" in my mind.   I think they just get further from it the newer you go. 

There's a dramatic difference between the normal E39 and the M5 - yes, even above the 540i Sport. It's the classic supersaloon. But it's not what I'd call a "driver's car". It's more like a replacement for a small airplane.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
4/6/18 4:27 p.m.

I worked at a company where I wrote about and drove probably 150 cars over about 3 months. All of them were 2000 and newer. Here are the ones that stood out. 

911 Carrera S 997. I tried to not like it because I am a bit of a contrarian and don't like the hype, but they are just so good. Lived up to the hype

Mini Cooper S. It's a heck of a driver's car. If the maintenance wasn't so annoying for what it is, I'd own one. Just so fun. 

E90 M3. It's a bit heavy, but still fun and useable. The DCT needs to be in the right mode or it's lazy as heck. 

Lexus IS F. This car was a lot of fun and doesn't get the love it deserves. The V8 is a screamer. 

Mazda 3s are actually pretty good driver's cars for what they are. If you drive one hard, they really do reward. Especially the latest gen. The auto trans is really good too. I suspect the Mazda MP3 and Mazdaspeed are even better, but the turbo one comes with problems, or so I hear. 

Miata. Of course. 

The 128i I drove was a lot of fun too. Reminded me of my old E36 M3. 

I've heard the RX-8 is great, but didn't get a chance to drive one. Ditto for the S2000. 

Disappintments:

2011 WRX. The turbo lag was really bad. It did drive pretty well, but it was just so annoying to catch the engine off boost. Reminded me of an old 280zx turbo. I haven't driven an STI. 

Cayman S. I realize my expectations are too high, but the clutch felt weird and vague (maybe it was shot), the gearbox felt sort of weird and chunky, and the steering felt sort of slow. It wasn't bad, it was actually good, but I just expected more from it. 

Surprises:

Dodge Challenger with a manual box is actually is pretty fun. It's not a cornering machine, but it's a driver's car in the sense that the driver will have fun driving it.  

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
4/6/18 5:56 p.m.

Some days I really miss it. crying

ace37
ace37 New Reader
4/7/18 4:19 p.m.

Cars I’ve owned and would recommend:

997 911

Boxster/Cayman

S2000

None are great for seating more than two but otherwise can be reasonably practical.

Somebody needs to go nuts and import an old TVR and give a report... on that note a buddy has an early Viper and says it’s a riot.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/7/18 5:00 p.m.

I don't care what the criteria was. It's the Exige.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
4/7/18 8:31 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X5xZoIUNMzjXrHT9lhkTjLNQLxQzXrazDf0MQK6LKwK3Ha4BOfRMCOG7yvhnI8dj