1 2
DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
9/13/13 2:07 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Who wears watches anymore? Seems redundant with cell phones, iPods and all.

I occasionally pull out my flip phone to check the time so I can set my wrist watch. I'd go without my phone long before I'd go without a watch. Does this make me a dinosaur?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/13 2:27 p.m.

I don't give a rat's ass about watches unless I'm running, biking or swimming.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/13/13 2:33 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Ranger50 wrote:
bravenrace wrote: Who wears watches anymore? Seems redundant with cell phones, iPods and all.
Nursing students! Can't use a cell to time a patient's respirations or pulse without one.
Sure you can, just use the stopwatch app built into the phone.

Just don't let your instructor see it...or you are kicked out of the program. No lie.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
9/13/13 8:23 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Bigger picture, it's nice that a company with an office on Fifth Avenue is still involved in sports car racing. Love it or hate it, racing runs on money.
I cannot find a pun in that comment. Good point though.
No pun but here's a picture of a fifth avenue.

no ... this is a Fifth Avenue

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
9/13/13 9:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I also noticed "entitlement," but at the same time sponsor is starting to pick up negative connotations.

If you think "sponsor" has any negative connotations just wait until people start talking about the negative connotations surrounding "entitlement."

I don't think "entitlement sponsor" will be around very long.

David

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/13 9:32 p.m.

I'm not taking sides. Just noting that some people aren't thrilled with the word "sponsor."

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/13/13 10:04 p.m.

<==wears G-shock.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/15/13 8:46 a.m.

<==== Loves watches.

steved033
steved033 Reader
9/16/13 7:46 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
It's jewelry for men. I've always wondered why there's such a close connection between racing and watch makers, as it doesn't seem to make sense. I can see the connection though---- most serious racers have lots of expendable income and they spend it on mechanical things. These are the same guys who buy $10K watches. (Hey....I want a watch just like the one Hurley Haywood won for winning the Rolex 24!) It's funny--- at places like Monterey you'll have all these millionaire car guys comparing their watches. It's strange and with cell-phones completely unnecessary---- but still amusing. It's the same thing as women admiring each other's expensive shoes or handbags.

Yup, can't imagine racing 24 hrs at Daytona for a Tudor now....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/16/13 8:02 a.m.

Love my watch, have a cell phone, have the time on my computer at my desk, have the time on the dash of all my cars, but still love my watch. Another time it's great is on planes, on cruise ships and in foreign countries where your cell doesn't work.

OK, enough on watches, can we talk about cars and racing now?

This thread started with

David S. Wallens wrote:

New rules, new title sponsor:

What are the rules part of the equation? Are they running the same Daytona prototypes or have they upped the ante to make them closer in speed to the old LMP 1-2 cars? I know a lot of people criticized the Daytona cars, but once they’d sorted out the awkward looks of the early cars I really liked them. They were magnitudes cheaper than the LMP cars, and in all honesty once your trackside or watching on TV, can you really tell 4-5 seconds a lap difference? It’s down to the spectacle, and the times I’ve watched on TV and at the Detroit GP they worked for me. They remind me of the glory days of Group C and the old IMSA GTP cars. They are affordable enough that you don’t just get one or 2 works teams running away into the distance plus two to three more very well-funded teams a distant 3rd/4th/5th. Because they are relatively so affordable you get 15 plus entries with privateers, hired guns, gentlemen races all having great battles. They look and sound good on track. I really hope this is the start of good things to come.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/16/13 8:04 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: It's jewelry for men. I've always wondered why there's such a close connection between racing and watch makers, as it doesn't seem to make sense.

Historically, it made tons of sense. A lot of the watch makers were on the leading edge of time measurement for sport, so they were already in the timing and scoring booth- why not give the tracks the hardware for some advertising space?

And the market they advertised to made sense- as you pointed out- rich people with enough disposable income to go racing.

Not sure who the current leading edge time keeper is for racing.

Here- you have a watch that isn't known as a time keeper. Well, at least to us. I'm not the market they are trying to appeal to, anyway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hD9a0zhi83QQ27qGTA4DIU6kwILmhuNZj3JINVNv5Uued4Kw0M0OfvzjzcZjYyup