FlightService SuperDork
3/27/12 7:51 p.m.

Starion

buts I do love a turbo coupe!!!

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
3/27/12 8:29 p.m.

I'll go with Starquest since one of my Carlisle buddies built this one:

The build-up was covered in a now defunct Mopar mag back at the turn of the century.

sanman
sanman Reader
3/27/12 11:47 p.m.

The starion because it looks awesomely cool and Jackie Chan drove one in Cannonball Run 2. Top that!

11s42k
11s42k New Reader
3/28/12 12:19 a.m.

Turbo Coupe. I've had two of those and one Starion in the past 5 years or so. Performance-wise, none of them were exciting, but the TC was less sucky. The Starion was really disappointing. I got it in non-running condition, got it going, drove it for a couple days, and quickly dumped it.

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
3/28/12 12:49 a.m.

I'd say TurboCoupe. For some reason, I think it'll be easier to find a cleaner one that's been well maintained. Even if you found a clean StarQuest, I'd still say pick the TurboCoupe. They just offer more punch. If you want a car that can handle really well, neither of these are the most effective cars to do that.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/12 12:51 a.m.

Starquest, I will own one someday. I don't really have any desire to ever own a Turbo Coupe.

thunderzy
thunderzy Reader
3/28/12 7:32 a.m.

Conquest FTW bc factory wide body!!!

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/28/12 10:31 a.m.

Starquest all day!

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
3/28/12 10:46 a.m.

i propose a third option: A starion with a TC engine & transmission.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/12 10:50 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: i propose a third option: A starion with a TC engine & transmission.

I'm the idiot that would stick the Starion motor into the TC body.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/12 10:53 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: i propose a third option: A starion with a TC engine & transmission.

That is a win right there.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
3/28/12 11:05 a.m.
Javelin wrote:

if you don't like the turbo lima, you're not going to like the G54b

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
3/28/12 11:22 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: if you don't like the turbo lima, you're not going to like the G54b

QFT!!!!

Sure it's a 2.6L 4 banger, but the fuel injection system is trash and the compression ratio is really low 8:1 I think. Sure you CAN make good power from it, but you're going to be spending $$$$ to get there. I'd much prefer my old Quest back with the 351 and actually finish the damn thing. That or a StarQuest with an LSx in it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/28/12 11:30 a.m.

That's a hard one for me.

I had an '87 Cougar XR7 in high school, and I always wanted the cooler T-Bird Turbo Coupe, so I'm partial to those. Still like those a lot. But the Starquest was so much cooler looking, and they were so rare to see on the road, even more so now. Both of them were quirky turbo cars in a heavy chassis, but performance potential is probably slightly better with the Turbo Coupe.

I'd say Starquest. Because box flares.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/12 11:31 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
Javelin wrote:
if you don't like the turbo lima, you're not going to like the G54b

I like both, actually.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
3/28/12 1:13 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet: You know, they did make a turbo 2.3 version of the Cougar XR7... rare find to be sure. But if it were a rematch of Starquest vs. turbo Cougar XR7, I just might switch my choice to the Cougar; can't help my penchant for rare oddity over box flares.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
3/28/12 1:26 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: You know, they did make a turbo 2.3 version of the Cougar XR7... rare find to be sure. But if it were a rematch of Starquest vs. turbo Cougar XR7, I just might switch my choice to the Cougar; can't help my penchant for rare oddity over box flares.

Even more rare is the manual version of the 2.3T Cougar. I've seen one... EVER.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
3/28/12 1:30 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: You know, they did make a turbo 2.3 version of the Cougar XR7... rare find to be sure. But if it were a rematch of Starquest vs. turbo Cougar XR7, I just might switch my choice to the Cougar; can't help my penchant for rare oddity over box flares.

Yes, I almost bought one.

(OT a little bit) My sister worked at a Hyundai dealer that regularly had "push it, pull it" trade-in events that would result in people dragging automotive corpses to get a guaranteed trade-in value on a new Hyundai. They would let their employees pick over the cars, selling them for $250 each, before sending them to the junkyard. For some reason, the lot was always full of non-mustang Fox-chassis cars traded in from these events, especially mid-80's Cougars.

The first time I went I actually had a choice: I could have had the 1987 with the 5.0 V8 or a 1985 XR7 with the 2.3 and a 5-speed. The combination of not knowing how to drive a stick (for shame!!!) and wanting something that sounded cool for the high school parking lot made me choose the 1987 model. After a few months, the tranny lunched itself, so I went to another one of these events and had the choice of a 1989 Lincoln LSC with broken airbag suspension and a trashed interior, or ANOTHER 1987 Cougar XR7. I used my 1st one for a parts car and bought the new one for $250.

My sister also bought a grandma-fresh 1986 Cougar with the 5.0 also for $250 that had around 50,000 miles on it. That thing would do the best pegleg burnouts!

I haven't seen a turbo Cougar since. I wish I bought it.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
3/28/12 1:56 p.m.

Starquest

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
3/28/12 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Conquest351: Then between us, we know of two. There was one in Seattle that had a 5 speed '86. I knew the guy's wife through work and offered to buy it (it was sitting a lot), but he wouldn't sell. That was 8-9 years ago now.

Coneman
Coneman New Reader
3/28/12 10:21 p.m.

I prefer the "Bird". Mind you I would put a healthy V8 in there :)

slowpoke
slowpoke New Reader
3/28/12 10:39 p.m.

When in high school a kid owned a starion. I remember the funky looking seats and flares and going "Wow this is a cool car" Then a good buddy of mine bought one and threw I cant even tell you how much money into one..And it was a pig. Due mostly to that wonderful fuel injection system that at the time you couldnt really get around. More recently a buddy of mine threw a ford v8 in one..Cool little car. It was one of those I'm to sophisticated for my time cars. Im sure if you built the motor and scrapped that awfull computer setup you could make one a pretty sweet ride

All that being said I love me a nice turbo coupe. Fox platform, easy to work on, pretty roomy in comparison and really not as heavy a car as people think. The engine you can go buckwild with and make as much HP as needed. Had a buddy do some kind of volvo head conversion on one with mega boost making an awfull lot of power. 4cyl arent my thing but very impressive.

For me its still the TC. I may be partial because I own a v8 turbo powered 87 xr7:O)

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
3/29/12 8:10 a.m.

the choices lack F2T.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/29/12 8:16 a.m.
lnlogauge wrote: the choices lack F2T.

You are my new favorite newby.

Please familiarize yourself with the word "swank." The rest of the welcoming committee will be here shortly to extend a formal invitation to join Team MX6 Mafia.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/29/12 8:20 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
lnlogauge wrote: the choices lack F2T.
You are my new favorite newby. Please familiarize yourself with the word "swank." The rest of the welcoming committee will be here shortly to extend a formal invitation to join Team MX6 Mafia.

As the official cochair of the MX6 Mafia Welcoming committee- I would like to say, congratulations on an excellent choice in vehicle. You're among friends here. We might try and spend your money for you.... LIKE A SIR. But that's part of the fun.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RcvO3ezKwn8PWihme6C5IYD30J7Fx5IboBTavUvQJLQbTb7UwWROwh9QquYrn2aK