ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/1/14 8:15 a.m.

The Tire Rack has a great deal on Rivals in my size. They can hold the order before shipping for 10 days. But, it is crazy cold out there. And up here. Should I really worry about subjecting those tires to freezing temperatures as there shipped? What really happens if they freeze?

These will. Be for HPDE and autox, but only for fun. I am not pursuing trophies in any class.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/1/14 9:57 a.m.

Ask them.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/1/14 10:05 a.m.

Tire Rack will have the answer for sure. Personally, I've been storing summer tires in a cold, unheated Wisconsin garage off-season for years without ill effects, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/1/14 11:02 a.m.

I haven't noticed an issue.

Note that if you online-order high performance tires in the winter, Tire Rack will not ship them to you until they confirm (I think only via phone call) that you are aware that the tires are not safe for winter driving.

On further reflection, winter might be the best thing for high performance tires, storage-wise. I would think that they would outgas a lot less in the cold, so they stay "soft".

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
3/1/14 12:24 p.m.

I actually called Tire Rack about this very issue a couple of months ago. The guy said that summer tires are ok to store in cold temps and to not drive them in under 40 degrees F.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/1/14 1:48 p.m.

The only tires I've ever seen come with any cold temperature warning are Toyo R888s, those come (or at least came) with a sticker warning not to store them at less than 32F.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
3/1/14 2:25 p.m.

There were some of the autocross Kumhos that were known to split, way worse in cold weather.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
3/1/14 5:41 p.m.

Just don't handle them roughly, mount, or drive on them below freezing and I'd think you'll be fine.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/14 7:33 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I actually called Tire Rack about this very issue a couple of months ago. The guy said that summer tires are ok to store in cold temps and to not drive them in under 40 degrees F.

But StarSpecs are great fun in freezing temps

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/1/14 9:58 p.m.

I wouldn't worry

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
3/2/14 9:26 a.m.

Won't hurt at all, its only driving them that is bad in cold weather, but just sitting around is fine....

carbon
carbon HalfDork
3/2/14 10:25 a.m.

depends on the tire, my p zero rossos are fine in the cold, ra1s are horrifyingly bad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xHKRSNqHPDhPJlS8C9VdC4vczdn0fE1bh4fGqXuXxaOz6QfLrcOL77GvtarPy9yc