1 2
Reggie Jordan
Reggie Jordan Circulation Director
5/24/13 1:27 p.m.

If you were a movie director and needed cars for the ultimate chase scene, rivaling Steve McQueen's "Bullitt," then what protagonist and antagonist automobiles would you use?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/13 1:31 p.m.

Through the streets of San Francisco with jumps and sharp transitions onto hills? Evo 9 and GD STi. Protagonist is whoever wins the bid for product placement

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
5/24/13 1:34 p.m.

triple black ctsv for bad guys, white superbird built nascar style without the stickers for hero.

and when i say black, i mean everything.

other one would be new charger, black, and new boss 302 for green.

lastly, id rather see vanashing point or two lane blacktop redone....

beans
beans New Reader
5/24/13 1:37 p.m.

When I was a kid, I always thought a 911 Turbo S(993) was THE ultimate getaway car.

Still think it is. Unless it's a hot day.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
5/24/13 1:41 p.m.

Good guy in a Grand National, bad guy in a STi

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/13 1:42 p.m.

Ford RS200 and Lancia 037?

I just figure it's either rally cars or possibly short-course off roaders for that combination of speed and obstacles.

No, I have no idea what plot contrivance would be needed for the characters to wind up in those things.

It could be terrifying but awesome with motorcycles...

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
5/24/13 1:52 p.m.

Wouldn't this really depend on who is sponsoring the movie?

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
5/24/13 1:53 p.m.

In reply to DoctorBlade:

If it was GRM it would be a Miata chasing a ls1 volvo

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
5/24/13 1:54 p.m.

Gen Coupe and a Cushman Security car/scooter.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
5/24/13 1:56 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Gen Coupe and a Cushman Security car/scooter.

parkour v segway

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/24/13 1:59 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: Gen Coupe and a Cushman Security car/scooter.
parkour v segway

Mobility scooter vs. wheelchair

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
5/24/13 2:03 p.m.

Cobra and early '62 GTO.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/24/13 2:05 p.m.

Nike vs. Adidas

Gearheadotaku
5/24/13 2:20 p.m.

Ok seriously, Factory Five '33 vs Lotus Elise or 911 Convertible.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/13 2:22 p.m.

Since they were actually trying to go fast in Bullitt and not just screech around: rally weapon vs muscle car. Evo or STi vs Mustang GT or Camaro. It would be ridiculously fast.

If we just want it to be bellowing V8s again, then it's gotta be Ford vs Chevy (sorry, Dodge). GT vs Camaro. I've lost track of all the Camaro variants, but not the supercharged one. The LS3.

Gearheadotaku
5/24/13 2:25 p.m.

new Camaro Z/28 is the one you are thinking of right?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
5/24/13 2:34 p.m.

The cars both need to be capable of selling to the audience that the chase scene really is that awesome, and something that would fit a plot well. Assuming a present day setting, this would be my pick.

The original "Bullitt" had the title character's Mustang have a dent on the fender on purpose because they decided he wasn't paying to have it fixed. In the same vein, I'd have the hero driving something that is fairly fast, but not unreasonable for a penny-pinching cop. Let's go with a mid 2000s WRX.

Now, the bad guys are going to want something that at least somewhat blends into traffic, performs well enough to make a good getaway, and it would be useful in the villain business if you can carry around a couple enforcers with a surplus of weapons and a shortage of neck. The new Charger looks like it would work very well here.

beans
beans Reader
5/24/13 2:35 p.m.

SS.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
5/24/13 2:49 p.m.

I agree with the rally weapon choices.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/24/13 3:03 p.m.

I'm going to have to echo good guy in Subaru WRX. Needs the hood scoop to show it has power and means business, but not all the wings, aero, and other boy-racer hooplah of an Evo.

Bad guys in blacked out, 4-door, performance V8 sedan. Cadillac CTS(-V), BMW 5-series, or new Charger (in that order of preference).

They should be solid performing cars, but believably practical things as opposed to full on race-ready stuff (e.g. Evo, Vette, 911). Also bonus points for turbo vs. V8 noises. Sound track immediately tells you which car you're zoomed in on.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
5/24/13 3:08 p.m.

The bad guy in a Trabant Kombi with turbo Hayabusa power, and the good guy in an AMC Gremlin X with a supercharged 401 and a 4 speed.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
5/24/13 3:26 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: white superbird built nascar style without the stickers for hero.

We are going to put this one up to a vote.......I drove both of these at Mecum.

Which looks better?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/13 3:44 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Cobra and early '62 GTO.

I could assume you meant a 64 GTO (the first year), but since since you said early 62 like you meant it, I'm going to instead assume that you meant 421SD Catalina, because that would be the coolest berking chase car!!!

Yes, the bad guys in this. In black.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
5/24/13 3:46 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: white superbird built nascar style without the stickers for hero.
We are going to put this one up to a vote.......I drove both of these at Mecum. Which looks better?

Neither one looks better. The actual NASCAR superbirds looked good, but the production versions will always and forever look dorkey, mostly because of their fenderwells.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/13 3:46 p.m.

Oh, and, did anybody see the Top Gear from 2 seasons ago where they seriously filmed a car chase for a movie? It was a Supercharged Jag XFR (in Black) chasing a Focus ST. That was a good chase, and totally a good call for a modern Bullitt scene.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dIyAQH6iwYo4ZLsyPevzT0KH4decivYLfx0UuCg7aeOO9xPZl1b6H4Npl1pagUf0