1 ... 9 10 11 12
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/24 9:18 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And the link to the convertible police car because it has this crew all over it.

That is begging to become the basis for a hat car for the Challenge!

sotaro
sotaro New Reader
6/1/24 12:23 a.m.

So many kit cars have lines that appear to me to be rather exagerated. The Avenger in particular with the swell of the rear fender that seems ridiculous. Every time I see it I think, could that rear fender be cut down somehow? Move it back and lower it. The 917 also seems odd, though the wheelbase of the VW bug and the 917 are very close. The Lazer rear looks too long. The Porsche 917 had the windshield and cabin farther forward with perhaps detrimental impact on ones feet in case of a crash. Anyway, just complaints from the peanut gallery.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
6/3/24 12:34 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/share/h8wn8HDKZLaBMgpo/?mibextid=79PoIi

pretty handsome little car on C4 subframes, $7k..

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
6/3/24 1:17 p.m.

I agree 😊. My buddies and I shaped the car   , had molds made and then the body.  The body is non stressed.  Full tilt front end. Dedicated space frame with aluminum panels.  We didn't use c4 cradles.  Suspension mounts and pick up points are built into the frame.  It's 39 inches to the top of the windshield. (Jag xjs). 
The body and frame were made from our molds and jigs by Shell Valley.  I have those in my possession now in Keesville, NY. 

The price of the kit shown is so good that I'm very tempted to buy it.  However I'm having quadruple heart bypass surgery June 19. I'll see what the outcome of that is before I buy anything. Hoping for the best. 

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
6/3/24 1:17 p.m.

I agree 😊. My buddies and I shaped the car   , had molds made and then the body.  The body is non stressed.  Full tilt front end. Dedicated space frame with aluminum panels.  We didn't use c4 cradles.  Suspension mounts and pick up points are built into the frame.  It's 39 inches to the top of the windshield. (Jag xjs). 
The body and frame were made from our molds and jigs by Shell Valley.  I have those in my possession now in Keesville, NY. 

The price of the kit shown is so good that I'm very tempted to buy it.  However I'm having quadruple heart bypass surgery June 19. I'll see what the outcome of that is before I buy anything. Hoping for the best. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/3/24 3:03 p.m.
sotaro said:

So many kit cars have lines that appear to me to be rather exagerated. The Avenger in particular with the swell of the rear fender that seems ridiculous. Every time I see it I think, could that rear fender be cut down somehow? Move it back and lower it. The 917 also seems odd, though the wheelbase of the VW bug and the 917 are very close. The Lazer rear looks too long. The Porsche 917 had the windshield and cabin farther forward with perhaps detrimental impact on ones feet in case of a crash. Anyway, just complaints from the peanut gallery.

I've sometimes wondered if the guys who designed those cars did all their work in the garage, without pushing their prototype outside so they could look at it from a distance or different angles.  There are individual parts of the car that may look good, but the proportions aren't quite right and/or they don't work with other parts of the car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/3/24 4:01 p.m.

A true rarity: “1984 Lamborghini countach 25th anniversary replic” that is not billed as incomplete. 

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/24 4:53 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
sotaro said:

I've sometimes wondered if the guys who designed those cars did all their work in the garage, without pushing their prototype outside so they could look at it from a distance or different angles.  There are individual parts of the car that may look good, but the proportions aren't quite right and/or they don't work with other parts of the car.

Reminds me of people with too much plastic surgery. Sure, your wrinkles are gone, but did you see your eyes?

jmc14
jmc14 HalfDork
6/3/24 5:05 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
sotaro said:

I've shaped a few cars. All with similar looks.  I fretted over every curve and shape. I did roll them outside and would spend a lot of time looking at them from multiple angles. Often I would cut/grind/sand away everything I did during a day and redo it the next.  I'm never 100% satisfied.  In the end I shaped them to my taste and vision. I know those are not to everyone's liking.  
Building cars is my passion.  

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/24 5:16 p.m.

In reply to jmc14 :

Your cars have nice  lines. I was pretty sure when that car showed up on this thread it was yours. That seems like such a build able car from where it sits now. That seems like a steal for someone in the right position. 

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
6/3/24 7:25 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
sotaro said:

I'm the same way, wondering what they were thinking in terms of style. If most of the body already has graceful sexy curves, don't decide to switch to hard corners mid-design. I saw a self-built car recently that had curves everywhere they should be, yet with single-plane sharp-bent aluminum fenders. Sigh...

I've see so many kit car makers come and go that a theory took form regarding why: Someone builds one car and takes it out to show off. A few people say it "looks nice, is there a kit?", and right there, the delusions start. Visions of getting rich building them springs to mind, leading to a whole bunch of short term decisions, a near complete lack of interest, mounting bills, and eventual selling of the molds. No all end this way, of course, but it's probably 98% or so.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/24 7:39 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
sotaro said:

Esthetics is subjective. But also, why should we expect people with no training to be able to design pretty cars? The pros have mixed results, so expecting Joe Public to come up with something really cool is kinda like expecting him to write a really good song. I mean it's just words, isn't it?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/7/24 8:14 a.m.
APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/7/24 10:40 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:
stuart in mn said:
sotaro said:

Esthetics is subjective. But also, why should we expect people with no training to be able to design pretty cars? The pros have mixed results, so expecting Joe Public to come up with something really cool is kinda like expecting him to write a really good song. I mean it's just words, isn't it?

Last night there was an open mic night at the restaurant where I had dinner.  There were several artists who performed their own material.  As a direct result of that experience this analogy really resonates with me.

David S. Wallens
6/7/24 12:03 p.m.

1953 Corvette replica. “if you dont have fiberglass skills this is not for you.”

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/7/24 1:27 p.m.
914Driver said:

917 for $1500.

Ad shows all the plexiglass parts and they are in good shape. That is the best Laser mold D that I have seen at a decent price in a while. Too far to drag ome for sure and they sold the chassis but man that would be a cool project. I built a mold C from them 25 years ago and it was really good glass. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/10/24 12:31 p.m.
stroker
stroker PowerDork
6/10/24 2:22 p.m.

Factory Five 818 near Springfield, MO.  NMNA

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/10/24 3:14 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Appears to be a smokin' deal. One would think with the presence of the tractor and towable sprayer in the photos, the seller has a leaf blower available. I'm glad it's in Mo and not Ca.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/10/24 3:23 p.m.

Here's a different kit car ... umm, truck:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/344339198399237/

stroker
stroker PowerDork
6/10/24 4:35 p.m.
rdcyclist said:

In reply to stroker :

Appears to be a smokin' deal. One would think with the presence of the tractor and towable sprayer in the photos, the seller has a leaf blower available. I'm glad it's in Mo and not Ca.

I gotta wonder if anyone has stuffed a Boxster drivetrain into a 818...

stroker
stroker PowerDork
6/12/24 7:59 p.m.
Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/24 9:19 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
914Driver said:

917 for $1500.

Ad shows all the plexiglass parts and they are in good shape. That is the best Laser mold D that I have seen at a decent price in a while. Too far to drag ome for sure and they sold the chassis but man that would be a cool project. I built a mold C from them 25 years ago and it was really good glass. 

This 917 kit plus this:

https://www.doylemw.com/about-redub

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/12/24 10:08 p.m.
914Driver said:

Never heard of a Shalako GT.   

The Shalako was designed and manufactured by Dick Dean, who was a legendary car customizer.  He probably chopped the tops on more 1949-1951 Mercuries than anyone else, among many other projects.

David S. Wallens
6/13/24 8:57 a.m.

Kelmark GT. Always liked the cool lines on this one. 

1 ... 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nAbRcDWqGSCzPUeDWNXlEW5khxTGHE6FkHH1GjWcwEyqnoDIGmvHFNqtXzk1NASA