1 2
johndej
johndej UltraDork
6/14/24 2:46 p.m.

Geez.... trying to sell some e30 parts and purge garage space, this guys been messaging a few days about grabbing some, asks if I want to see a pic of his car.
Sure guy, what ya got? "Been under there all day working on getting her back on the road" surprise

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/14/24 3:05 p.m.

Holleee e30m3!

Man.  Like nothing.  Not even wheels under the car.  Dang.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/14/24 3:17 p.m.

The heebie-jeebies; I haz them now.

I hope he listens.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/14/24 3:31 p.m.

I can't tell what he's got supporting the rear.  Is it teetering on 2 jacks?!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
6/14/24 3:48 p.m.

I see his feet. Is he dead?

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
6/14/24 3:52 p.m.

I had a coworker who found his neighbors 20-something daughter dead under her car, who had been following an online video to change her own oil but wasn't taught the importance of supporting the car with more than just the jack.

Even with the car supported by both the jack and stands, in addition to laying wheels under it if available, I have still never fully rid myself of that little nervous feeling crawling underneath to twist, push, and pull on things under there. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
6/14/24 3:59 p.m.

Yikes. That is seriously sketch.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/14/24 4:17 p.m.

I mean, yeah. I've had cars on two jacks temporarily. I don't go anywhere near that high nor get under it. But it's not as bad as this:

r/facepalm - The longer you look at it, the worse it gets.

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
6/14/24 5:20 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

That gets worse the longer I look at it. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/14/24 5:30 p.m.

When I think back to how I changed the starter on my X-11 using just the bumper jack...

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
6/14/24 5:30 p.m.

Long before I was born, a relative died doing brake work on his car, with a bumper jack (parts of GRM have used them!) and a cinder block to hold it up. 
Been taught that one since I was knee high to a grasshopper. 
Neighbor dropped a car on himself in the '80s using a stack of wood blocks. 

I have two friends live through a car dropping, more by luck than by being careful 

wae
wae UltimaDork
6/14/24 6:05 p.m.

To be fair it looks like he does have jack stands, they're just holding up the rear of the car.  Guess he didn't think to buy two sets....

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
6/14/24 8:03 p.m.

A good friend died when his car fell on him, even with 4 jackstands under it. You have to think about weight/balance, too.

wvumtnbkr
6/14/24 8:41 p.m.

I always shove the car around when I put it on jackstands.  Like all of my weight / effort.  Me no wanna be under when I'm huffing on something and a stand teeters over.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/14/24 8:50 p.m.

Sister's elderly neighbor dropped a car on himself in the driveway and broke his back. He lived but had permanent injuries.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
6/14/24 9:02 p.m.

Ask for some contact info for his friends or family. Looks like you'll be able to buy a red E30 cheap from the estate....

One thing I've learned: Always, always, always keep jack stands together in a set of four, and always keep them accessible with the jack vs. buried behind stuff. This goes for the race track, too. If the jack leaves the trailer, so should the stands. People (yes, even you) are lazy, so make it as easy as possible to use them. 

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/14/24 9:19 p.m.

It's amazing and terrifying how many people in this thread alone have personal experiences with someone getting killed or maimed by a jacked-up car. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
6/14/24 9:25 p.m.

I like working on my cars on all 4 wheels whenever possible. And I still don't like it! Changing my oil on the JT today my brain goes, "what if this tire spontaneously popped?"

wvumtnbkr
6/14/24 11:46 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Ask for some contact info for his friends or family. Looks like you'll be able to buy a red E30 cheap from the estate....

One thing I've learned: Always, always, always keep jack stands together in a set of four, and always keep them accessible with the jack vs. buried behind stuff. This goes for the race track, too. If the jack leaves the trailer, so should the stands. People (yes, even you) are lazy, so make it as easy as possible to use them. 

I don't know how many people I have called out for jackstands at the racetrack.  I will be a pain in their ass until they get stands out.  Like...  wtf?  I don't want to walk past that and then know someone got squished.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
6/16/24 7:18 a.m.

The only time I don't use stands (I admit) is if I'm changing one wheel at a time, and immediately.  I'm lazy and paranoid, so there's a bit of a trade-off.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/16/24 7:28 a.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

It's amazing and terrifying how many people in this thread alone have personal experiences with someone getting killed or maimed by a jacked-up car. 

I am another one. Girlfriend's brother, not using jacks had a car come down on him and broke multiple ribs. He was in the hospital for weeks.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/16/24 9:00 a.m.
Jerry said:

The only time I don't use stands (I admit) is if I'm changing one wheel at a time, and immediately.  I'm lazy and paranoid, so there's a bit of a trade-off.

If all I'm doing is changing wheels I also don't bother with stands.  I'm not putting any part of my body under the car and neither is anyone else.  Anything else, yes.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
6/16/24 9:05 a.m.
Jerry said:

I do it that way all the time. If I'm not under the car I'm OK with it, but if I'm going under there will be jackstands , and wheels with blocks of wood on them. Oil changes were always done on a pair of ramps, so no jack or stands.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
6/16/24 1:31 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Jerry said:

If all I'm doing is changing wheels I also don't bother with stands.  I'm not putting any part of my body under the car and neither is anyone else.  Anything else, yes.

For one wheel I put a jack stand under the car but I will leave it up on the jack. The jack stands in my van are right next to the jack.

This way if the car comes of the jack it will land on the stand and the likely hood of smashing rotors or whatever else is low.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
6/16/24 8:02 p.m.

I spend HALF of my time on a project figuring out how to safely get it jacked up high enough while positioning jackstands and moving the jack around. Seems like it's a two week project every time I get a new car figuring that sht out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h6Rk0pmFNR1lgtYerJfR2eWY5UrXHrx1G5Q1o8a8j3DY3oQYJHRt7k7Zw2SNi4Jb